• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Music What kind of music do you use in your videos?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello Everyone!

For me music and sound are a key part to any video, and I wanted to know how you choose your music! What genre do you look for? What kind of feel? What site do you use to get it? Is it the same for all or do you vary depending video type?

For example on my latest short it was just me and narration, so I used solo piano to really have that feeling of isolation. However, when I do the TB videos I use synthetic pop that's easy to listen to and inviting for a general audience! I use JukeDeck and Epidemic sounds for both.

What are your choices, and how do you come to them?

Dallas Dogs

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
I basically use anything that is strictly instrumental (no words) and the type of music depends on the mood of the video. This is usually determined by the topic of that particular episode.

I go through and review all the royalty-free tunes I can and try to select several in advance and then keep notes of them to use in upcoming episodes.

(I use intsrumental only because I believe spoken words in the music tends to distract some viewers from what I am trying to convey in the actual video. Just my psychological perspective.)

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I remember trying to use JukeDeck but I can't really get a good bg music for my videos o_O

For the most part, I use Epidemic Sound for my music. I tend to use hip hop for my vlogs or my Bad Ramblings because it usually matches up with my tempo. I actually use hip hop for my anime reviews as well. Hm. For VN reviews, I tend to use a lot of jazz because I started off the series with A Little Lily Princess which uses a lot of (copyrighted) classical songs. But I don't like classical songs in my video, so I gotta spice it up lol. Also, compared to when I'm off script, I'm not "calm."

For fantasy related things, I will use Vindsvept. He has an amazing selection of fantasy, folklore music. Then, when I don't want to use Epidemic, but I'm still looking for upbeat-ish songs, I'll use GeeMee lol. Then on that really stupid mood, I'll just slap in Benny Troung because Viet pride amirite? :kissing:

Reactions: TubeBuddy

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I use instrumental just for background in parts of the video with no talking (like photo slideshow sections). I try for the right tempo for the feel I want. I use various royalty free sites, and tend to choose lofi hip hop. Which may not be my best choice since a majority of my viewers are 60 year old men... ha ha

InstrumentalMotion

Subscriber Goal
Hey Andrew,

For the most part I shoot local to small national headlining musical acts on multiple cameras. Makes it super easy to find music for me to use in my other videos because not only do I record multitrack audio out of the soundboards, due to the size of the bands I work with most of them encourage me to use their sound on other projects if I give them credit.

If I need some really special sound or scoring for a short, I also know most of these musicians personally and they usually love these sort of projects.

Reactions: Aaron and TubeBuddy
OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey Andrew,

For the most part I shoot local to small national headlining musical acts on multiple cameras. Makes it super easy to find music for me to use in my other videos because not only do I record multitrack audio out of the soundboards, due to the size of the bands I work with most of them encourage me to use their sound on other projects if I give them credit.

If I need some really special sound or scoring for a short, I also know most of these musicians personally and they usually love these sort of projects.

That's really awesome and a great way to collab with artists! :D

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I almost only use music for fast forward segments and longer stretches where not too much happens (I have a almost decent collection of cable car rides on my channel - even the spectacular now closed old Zugspitzbahn)
I usually use mostly classic music, widely royalty free and you got a wider variety than on other instrumental music.

I dislike background music while talking especially if its too loud

xingcat

Experienced Poster
TubeBuddy Star
www.xingcat.com
Subscriber Goal
I tend to use about 4 songs over and over again, since my videos are pretty simple. Only one of them is from the YouTube studio, while the rest are written by a friend of mine who writes music for my plays. The tracks I use are some of those play songs that she wrote to underscore some short pieces I directed, and she gave me permission to use them.

I like having something that other people won't have on their videos, since there's only so much ukulele one can listen to, I think.

Rafij Rahman Rohan

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I make tutorial videos, so most of the time I don't use music on my videos.So that people can easily focus on the tutorial & what I'm saying.However, If I make any top 5 software or this kinda videos I like to chill type music :grinning:

CJ Nerf

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
For me It depends on the type of video i am doing since i do different types of nerf videos on my channel.---

All my reviews have detailed firing tests so i amp find more upbeat music and i usually find either rock or something that is full of energy with a cool beat.

When i am showing off a Modification or doing a tutorial then i make something soothing or chill to go with the mood.

TBH ---- after i make the video when i am listening to tracks to find the right one ---- 9 times out of 10 a particular song just jumps out and screams fit in my head --- and usually i go with my gut !

Thats how i roll LOL

Kev74

Subscriber Goal
I like to use the creator studio on yt. Its quite handy as it generates mood and genre. Scary gets scary. Happy gets happy. And so on...

Obi Shinobi

I don't really know the genre but it's kind of a laid back, techno, funk. I listened to a good number on them through the site my network lets us use and thought it fit best with my style.

RGS Rblood

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Whilst im saying my intro i like to use ambient stuff from the youtube people at MK2. they have given me some looks into their not royalty free music and thats why if i remember i add them in lol

Sibernethy

Subscriber Goal
I use anything from medieval to fantasy, polka, waltz, ballroom, gypsy, comedic, even ragtime. Melody is a huge thing that I consider in my song choice.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I haven't used music in a long time now. I think it's great for video though. If I did a documentary on this little creek I frequent I'd want something minimal like Phillip Glass, somewhat like you hear in many often hear in Christopher Nolan movies when Hans Zimmer composes.

Either that or folk music like the Carolina Chocolate Drops. There's another band I like called Solas. Sort of Appalachian mountain music. Or what I call real country music, not this punk country stuff you hear on the radio, but the guys playing traditional instruments in the Appalachian Mountains they way they've been doing since 13 colonies were established.

Last edited: