• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback New design of Thumbnail...Awesome or terrible...I let you decide...?

GPx

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Tbh, the recommended size for a thumbnail is 1280 x 720 (as given by YouTube themselves: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72431?hl=en#zippy=,image-size-resolution)
Yes I know this, but the image gets shrunk down to a much smaller size, look at this....

1651152292678.png

These are the same size as the one I posted of yours. So yes, the recommended size is 1280x720, but are you honestly telling me that when you see yours in the usual Thumbnail size that "Communication Difficulties" is easy to read or very noticeable?

1651152399553.png

OP
OP
Dysphasia PV

Dysphasia PV

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
www.dysphasia.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
Yes I know this, but the image gets shrunk down to a much smaller size, look at this....

View attachment 12150

These are the same size as the one I posted of yours. So yes, the recommended size is 1280x720, but are you honestly telling me that when you see yours in the usual Thumbnail size that "Communication Difficulties" is easy to read or very noticeable?

View attachment 12151

I would say yes, but I'm biased because I know what's on the design. I'll try to sort it out and see if you like the new version.

OP
OP
Dysphasia PV

Dysphasia PV

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
www.dysphasia.co.uk
Subscriber Goal

View attachment 12150

View attachment 12151

Any better?

All you need to (9).png

GPx

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Tbh that's worse, as the big font, the first question mark and the second TALK? cover the word Communication.

GPx

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The 'Communications Difficulties' isn't like the main text; hence, it being twenty percent transparent.
Ok, well I don't really see the point in having text if you are then going to obstruct half that text from clear view..... "Communication Difficulties".

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Here are my thoughts.

This is likely the best thumbnail of them all. But here's what I believe you should consider. The main text is too big. You shouldn't impede the way it looks if you want people to be able to see clearly what the thumbnail is saying. Shrinking the text enough to not fall on top of the circle will make the text more clear to read properly and doesn't cover the circle image that looks nice. Also, if you plan on having text on an image like the one inside the circle but are not concerned that it gets blocked because it's not the main text then why bother including it? Makes no sense if it doesn't matter if it's there.

My only other gripe is that you're covering the faces on the thumbnail. The first thumbnail on the first post had the green arrows literally covering the person's face. Not sure why anyone would put a person into an image only to cover them. This thumbnail is not as bad but the 2 images in the background have circles covering the faces making them harder to distinguish. Why? Should the faces not be seen? Is this on purpose? I'm not sure I understand. The faces in the circle can be seen but are obscured by the purple filter. I would think if you're using people's faces on purpose you would want them to be seen, not hidden behind objects, text or filters.

These are just my opinions. They may not be how others see them. It's your choice to consider them or not. Remember, this is your channel, your thumbnails, your choices.

All you need to (9).png

OP
OP
Dysphasia PV

Dysphasia PV

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
www.dysphasia.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
Here are my thoughts.

This is likely the best thumbnail of them all. But here's what I believe you should consider. The main text is too big. You shouldn't impede the way it looks if you want people to be able to see clearly what the thumbnail is saying. Shrinking the text enough to not fall on top of the circle will make the text more clear to read properly and doesn't cover the circle image that looks nice. Also, if you plan on having text on an image like the one inside the circle but are not concerned that it gets blocked because it's not the main text then why bother including it? Makes no sense if it doesn't matter if it's there.

My only other gripe is that you're covering the faces on the thumbnail. The first thumbnail on the first post had the green arrows literally covering the person's face. Not sure why anyone would put a person into an image only to cover them. This thumbnail is not as bad but the 2 images in the background have circles covering the faces making them harder to distinguish. Why? Should the faces not be seen? Is this on purpose? I'm not sure I understand. The faces in the circle can be seen but are obscured by the purple filter. I would think if you're using people's faces on purpose you would want them to be seen, not hidden behind objects, text or filters.

These are just my opinions. They may not be how others see them. It's your choice to consider them or not. Remember, this is your channel, your thumbnails, your choices.

View attachment 12156

Wow, that was quite detailed. Thank you for that.

Let's try this again. Do you like this one?

All you need to (11).png

I want my thumbnail to be perfect.

OP
OP
Dysphasia PV

Dysphasia PV

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
www.dysphasia.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
Just remember, most people are looking for videos on a cell phone. The thumbnail gets even smaller and harder to read.

I'm looking at the thumbnails on my channel using my mobile (a Samsung); it looks clear to me - better than the original. That I had to agree did end up to be unreadable after I looked at it for a while, hence this new design.

Reactions: TangoRomeo87