• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion How many subscribers do you gain and lose a month?

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I see a lot of influencers sharing how many subscribers they gain in a month, and I thought it would be interesting for us to share how many we lose as well. As a new Youtuber, I was always worried when I saw someone had unsubscribed to my channel - wondering what I had done wrong, why they didn't like me anymore, etc. I hope this will help new creators to keep motivated if they see the numbers drop and know that it happens to all of us.

I currently have 436 subscribers, in the last 28 days, I have gained 19 new followers and lost 4.

issabelle leo

Subscriber Goal
Same to me. My friend suggest me to install some app which can boost our subscriber. Then, it's really works for the first time, I gain 10 - 30 subscriber per day. It's make me happy. Very2 happy. Then, the day later I'm lost 30 subscriber. I'm very down. I also have upload video sub for sub. It's work but then they will unsubscribe later. Then, I'm delete it after I'm join the community here. Next time if we see our channel lost subscriber, don't give up, don't feel down. Keep strong, happy, and don't give up.

zeista

same to me...
i still 0...
but not to give up...
start making alternative creative content...

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Same to me. My friend suggest me to install some app which can boost our subscriber. Then, it's really works for the first time, I gain 10 - 30 subscriber per day. It's make me happy. Very2 happy. Then, the day later I'm lost 30 subscriber. I'm very down. I also have upload video sub for sub. It's work but then they will unsubscribe later. Then, I'm delete it after I'm join the community here. Next time if we see our channel lost subscriber, don't give up, don't feel down. Keep strong, happy, and don't give up.

Was your video asking for subscribers? It's great that you have joined the forum, I'm sure you will find lots of help and advice here to help you grow. I've not been here very long, but I've found the members supportive and the posts are full of information.

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
same to me...
i still 0...
but not to give up...
start making alternative creative content...
As a new creator you can try one or two different niches/themes, but I suggest not doing too many or viewers won't' know what to expect from you and it might stop them subscribing. You have the right attitude to try something and if it doesn't work try something new, you'll soon find your niche. Best of luck.

Maryprecious

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I have not really taking out time to check how many I lose or gain monthly. I will just notice that the number is decreasing and I keep asking why. Reading comments and advice here, I'm really convinced on the right step to take. In a nut shell, I will say we concentrate on uploading quality videos for now especially new youtubers like myself. Thanks

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
In the beginning I use to gain lots of subs then lose them, and this kept occurring, until I started making some changes, not only that, but IΓÇÖve made it very clear to everyone to NOT just hit the subscribe button until they see what IΓÇÖm about, and to make sure my content is what they want, then hit the big red, ever since, IΓÇÖve gained and barely lost :blush:

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

As a small YouTuber you should be focusing more on creating great content and learning from the experience how to grow your channel and less on how many subs you get or lose. You want to be able to grow your channel naturally but gaining subs that want to watch your videos and not just random people who sub and either don't watch your videos or end up unsubbing. Give it time, you've only been doing it for a few months. If you're not part of our Discord I recommend joining. We have a new event on Fridays we're calling Feedback Friday where Andrew does a Discord livestream giving members live channel and video reviews. It's awesome.

Reactions: Kari B

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Interesting question. These days I seem to average around 500 a month. When I went on a long hiatus for a few months, it went down to 100 subscribers a month, but when I started my channel, during my boom I'd be getting 100 a week, sometimes 1000 a week. But I don't pay attention to how many unsubscribe.

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Our best month so far was nearly 500 subscribers gained, but it has slowed a bit this past month as YouTube stopped pushing a few videos as much and we haven't updated as regularly through the summer months. Just to give context though, at the beginning of this year, we were barely gaining 10 subscribers a week and when Covid became a pandemic in March we gained only 4 subscribers that week as people stopped being interested in travel related content.

I think the best advice for a smaller channel is don't give up and get discouraged by the small numbers up and down. If you focus on providing good quality content and optimizing it through Tubebuddy, over time that will increase as YouTube starts to realize more and more people are watching your content.

Jarvis Phan

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Currently, I average like 50 subs a month and lose maybe one or two? From my experience, I get more attraction when I release a new piano cover and then if they are interested they will scroll through my older videos and that will help increase my views, therefore, I honestly wouldn't worry about the subscribers too much. It's always going to go up and down but the key is not to be discourage.

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
In the beginning I use to gain lots of subs then lose them, and this kept occurring, until I started making some changes, not only that, but IΓÇÖve made it very clear to everyone to NOT just hit the subscribe button until they see what IΓÇÖm about, and to make sure my content is what they want, then hit the big red, ever since, IΓÇÖve gained and barely lost :blush:
I like that and that approach is clearly working if you're gaining long term subs. I hate it when creators are pushy, as though viewers are just a number.

Reactions: Rubas Pakkampi
OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Interesting question. These days I seem to average around 500 a month. When I went on a long hiatus for a few months, it went down to 100 subscribers a month, but when I started my channel, during my boom I'd be getting 100 a week, sometimes 1000 a week. But I don't pay attention to how many unsubscribe.
I would love to get to the stage where I don't notice the subscriber numbers anymore. Do you think that after a certain point you switch from counting subs to counting views/watch hours or just once you are a bigger creator the numbers become less important?

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Our best month so far was nearly 500 subscribers gained, but it has slowed a bit this past month as YouTube stopped pushing a few videos as much and we haven't updated as regularly through the summer months. Just to give context though, at the beginning of this year, we were barely gaining 10 subscribers a week and when Covid became a pandemic in March we gained only 4 subscribers that week as people stopped being interested in travel related content.

I think the best advice for a smaller channel is don't give up and get discouraged by the small numbers up and down. If you focus on providing good quality content and optimizing it through Tubebuddy, over time that will increase as YouTube starts to realize more and more people are watching your content.
As a fellow travel channel I found this as well, my views and subs tailed off from about April onwards and are only starting to pick up again now. I am a little concerned about what will happen when/if we get a second wave so I'm planing videos that fit the niche but hopefully won't be too affected if we have another lockdown.

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Currently, I average like 50 subs a month and lose maybe one or two? From my experience, I get more attraction when I release a new piano cover and then if they are interested they will scroll through my older videos and that will help increase my views, therefore, I honestly wouldn't worry about the subscribers too much. It's always going to go up and down but the key is not to be discourage.
Do you put older videos on your new video end screens/ cards or do you find viewers tend to go looking over your back library?

Jarvis Phan

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
My End Screen, it just does it automatically for the viewers. It mixes between old, current, and recommended videos and for the cards, I just find the piano covers that are the same similar style they are currently watching.

For my account, the trend that I see is that my older videos are getting more views as time goes by. It's really a hit or miss.

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've set my end screens now to best for the viewer and a playlist that the video is in so they can watch something similar, since doing that I've found some of my old videos, that I had forgotten about, have been steadily gaining views which is nice. I've learnt not to get disappointed if a video doesn't do well straight away as it might be a slow burner.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I like that and that approach is clearly working if you're gaining long term subs. I hate it when creators are pushy, as though viewers are just a number.
Yep, and something else IΓÇÖve changed for the better, IΓÇÖm not even mentioning to subscribe and click this and that in my videos now, I just get straight to what IΓÇÖm doing, and just run a small graphic near the start, thatΓÇÖs all, I found this change made the viewers more relaxed and not pressured into clicking here and clicking there, small changes can make a big difference.

• Love