• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Other Time off YouTube writing a book

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Hi everyone,
Haven't been here for ages because I was writing a bo ***o****k. Gave myself a target to start a book during lockdown and wrote 50,000 words romantic crime novel which will be extended to 60-70,000 words through editting and illustration.

Yeap!!! Funny this was that I carried all my facebook, instagram and YouTube fan about it and they even contributed in so plot when I was stuck.

Sent off for publishing. Not J. K. Rowling yet, but I am happy for the inspiration I got to create something, now back to YouTube and Tubebuddy.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm kind of curious why you put a buch of stars inbetween the spelling of book? unless that was a typo? I've been curious about writing a book but I don't have the patience. Most of my book writing is on this forum :joy:
At the moment, I don't think you'd want to be J K Rowling anyway, but yourself, that's the best person to be. I'll be excited to know more about the book when it develops futher. It's pretty cool that you've written a book :)

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm kind of curious why you put a buch of stars inbetween the spelling of book? unless that was a typo? I've been curious about writing a book but I don't have the patience. Most of my book writing is on this forum :joy:
At the moment, I don't think you'd want to be J K Rowling anyway, but yourself, that's the best person to be. I'll be excited to know more about the book when it develops futher. It's pretty cool that you've written a book :)
I had the same feeling but I did not put the words.

Don't put a Copyright Claim but Ctrl+C ("your quote") & Ctrl+V ( = My Quotes) :p

• Love
Reactions: Blessing
OP
OP
Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the kind words. The star was like an exclamation mark, my class use that a lot so decided to do so nothing else. I think we all have a story to tell. Our life written in a book is a story which we can develop further to make it fiction by adding stuff that didnt happen. I think for me as a teacher, reading fantastic stories from my class over the years brought out my childhood love of creating my own imaginery friends and excaping to different worlds when there is no food on the table or my parent were arguing( they did that a lot). I also don't have the patient in my normal day life, but the pandemic gave me three months of doing nothing but write so I used it. The book is with the publisher for formatting, proof reading and cover page e.tc. I am hoping it will be out before the xmas holiday as it is a lovely crime movie to read by the fire space.
When it's done, I will be celebrating it here and hopefully people will get one for the holiday (that is if I am allowed). Thanks

OP
OP
Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Congrats on finishing the book! That is no easy feat :D
Nope it wasn't, never thought I would have done it but guess I used a bad time in life to develop an inner passion. Use to write when I was young but lot it when I went to Uni. When the world stood still, we re-discover ourself.

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Fantastic! It's such an achievement writing a book. I've just finished my first too, currently finishing up the editing which I am twenty pages away from doing. I think its currently on 64k? Edging to 65k based on the my editors notes.

Mine's the beginning of a fantasy sage. Looking forward to finding your work in shops soon!

OP
OP
Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Fantastic! It's such an achievement writing a book. I've just finished my first too, currently finishing up the editing which I am twenty pages away from doing. I think its currently on 64k? Edging to 65k based on the my editors notes.

Mine's the beginning of a fantasy sage. Looking forward to finding your work in shops soon!
Wow!!! I couldn't bring myself to do the editting though. I tried but kept re-writing instead of just editting. Am paying for editting, formatting and other stuff now. I thought the book would come out before school re-opens and I go back to work, but based on the publishers time-line, I will be happy if it comes out for christmas sales. Was thinking the writing it the hard part but what needs to be done is putting the book till mid - October.

I am starting my second book now but with everything going back to normal in the UK, I guess it will take me 3 years to write.

Reactions: residentcasuals

Growing Up Walls

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
growingupwalls.com
Subscriber Goal
Congrats on finishing!! I participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, November) every year (since 2003), and have self-published several books. If you're looking for some motivation to work through your second book, I can't recommend the NaNo challenge enough. Best of luck with book 2!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi everyone,
Haven't been here for ages because I was writing a bo ***o****k. Gave myself a target to start a book during lockdown and wrote 50,000 words romantic crime novel which will be extended to 60-70,000 words through editting and illustration.

Yeap!!! Funny this was that I carried all my facebook, instagram and YouTube fan about it and they even contributed in so plot when I was stuck.

Sent off for publishing. Not J. K. Rowling yet, but I am happy for the inspiration I got to create something, now back to YouTube and Tubebuddy.

Best of luck, and do what makes you happy! :)

If you need publishing help I recommend Dale Roberts :D

JessBookgirl75@gmail

Extremely Well-Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Wow!!! I couldn't bring myself to do the editting though. I tried but kept re-writing instead of just editting. Am paying for editting, formatting and other stuff now. I thought the book would come out before school re-opens and I go back to work, but based on the publishers time-line, I will be happy if it comes out for christmas sales. Was thinking the writing it the hard part but what needs to be done is putting the book till mid - October.

I am starting my second book now but with everything going back to normal in the UK, I guess it will take me 3 years to write.
Would you ever consider doing a Booktube channel?
Jessica

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Congrats on finishing!! I participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, November) every year (since 2003), and have self-published several books. If you're looking for some motivation to work through your second book, I can't recommend the NaNo challenge enough. Best of luck with book 2!

Can you provide any advice on self-publishing?

Reactions: Growing Up Walls

Growing Up Walls

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
growingupwalls.com
Subscriber Goal
Can you provide any advice on self-publishing?

Sure!

If you use Smashwords, they offer a style guide on how to format your manuscript. Read it, and take notes. Seriously - it makes your life so much easier to format once you understand the style guide and can refer only to your notes instead of their huge (extremely valuable and free) document.

Don't forget that you can use B&N Press as well as Amazon for publishing print books. I find that the cost of my books ends up being a little cheaper on B&N, but most folks prefer Amazon, so I go ahead and do both.

There are a ton of self-publishing options out there, more than I know about, certainly - but you should NEVER have to put money UP FRONT to self-publish your completed book. This does not include paying someone for cover art or manuscript formatting or editing, if you choose to pay someone for those services. But the vanity presses that say for $X you can publish your book and you're guaranteed Y and Z? Nope. Go with the free ones.

I know some authors publish in a way that they order stock on their books and sell directly to consumers, bookstores, etc. That's not something I've ever done so I can't really comment on. I also have no experience purchasing ISBN numbers. I use the free one that Smashwords gives me, and I forget the routine for B&N Press and Amazon at the moment.

Your best marketing is going to be your next book. Write, edit, publish, repeat.

Good luck!

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Sure!

If you use Smashwords, they offer a style guide on how to format your manuscript. Read it, and take notes. Seriously - it makes your life so much easier to format once you understand the style guide and can refer only to your notes instead of their huge (extremely valuable and free) document.

Don't forget that you can use B&N Press as well as Amazon for publishing print books. I find that the cost of my books ends up being a little cheaper on B&N, but most folks prefer Amazon, so I go ahead and do both.

There are a ton of self-publishing options out there, more than I know about, certainly - but you should NEVER have to put money UP FRONT to self-publish your completed book. This does not include paying someone for cover art or manuscript formatting or editing, if you choose to pay someone for those services. But the vanity presses that say for $X you can publish your book and you're guaranteed Y and Z? Nope. Go with the free ones.

I know some authors publish in a way that they order stock on their books and sell directly to consumers, bookstores, etc. That's not something I've ever done so I can't really comment on. I also have no experience purchasing ISBN numbers. I use the free one that Smashwords gives me, and I forget the routine for B&N Press and Amazon at the moment.

Your best marketing is going to be your next book. Write, edit, publish, repeat.

Good luck!

Thank you so much, this is really valuable. Good luck with your work too!

OP
OP
Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Sure!

Good luck!
Thank you so much. I guess I should have seen this mail before paying for ISBN and Library catloguing or something from the a publisher an using. Starting the new one during my October holiday. Used Evernote for my writing but will try your recommedation.

Thanks

Reactions: Growing Up Walls

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Thank you so much. I guess I should have seen this mail before paying for ISBN and Library catloguing or something from the a publisher an using. Starting the new one during my October holiday. Used Evernote for my writing but will try your recommedation.

Thanks
Sounds like you have your tools well at hand, but I will throw a couple of things out. I've tried so many writing tools and ended up loving Scrivener. You can setup sync on it so I can pop into my laptop, desktop or iPad and pick up right where I was. I know Evernote does that, but Scrivener was built ground-up for writers. I had mentioned elsewhere a second tool I use a lot. ProWritingAid. It is a very advanced grammar and writing analyzer. It can work on lots of file types, including MSFT Word and Scrivener.

Of course, the best tool is the one you love and doesn't get in your way!