• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Don't expect many subscribers until you have THIS many videos (strategic opinion)

Ameen

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
It's just a matter of time. 4 videos a month * 12 months = 48 videos per year * 3 years = 144 videos. Simply stay on track, and you'll get there.
Hopefully will stay and get there
All the best with ur channel too

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
We actually have data that backs this up too. It's really interesting the amount of uploads to subscribers is pretty HUGE (Outliers not withstanding)

I agree and disagree with this! Ha ha. We managed to get a video hit 1 million views with one of our first videos. It took three years to hit that milestone. We're now at 22 proper vids (the others are teasers) and 6k subs. Would we have got more subs if we were at 20 videos when we published our most successful video? Yes, I agree, I think we would.

Is it impossible? No.

My philosophy is: Just keep making the best videos you can make (while also getting SEO right and promoting them outside of YouTube, so you're not relying on YT the whole time). The cream usually rises to the top!

Great content = more watch time = YouTube promoting you = WIN!

Good luck!!

Tarot et Intuition

TubeBuddy Pro
www.tarot-et-intuition.fr
Subscriber Goal
Hi

I may be weird but I would rather subscribe to a young channel with very few subscribers and 5 videos: if the content is fun and original.

The amount of videos and the amount of subscribers are not as important as the originality of the content (for my part).

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi

I may be weird but I would rather subscribe to a young channel with very few subscribers and 5 videos: if the content is fun and original.

The amount of videos and the amount of subscribers are not as important as the originality of the content (for my part).

Honestly unless they've been to film school or are a natural born talent, they won't likely have fun and original content until they've reached about 100+ videos. This is an art that has to be crafted over very long periods of time. Very few people have it right at first.

Reactions: Tarot et Intuition

Tarot et Intuition

TubeBuddy Pro
www.tarot-et-intuition.fr
Subscriber Goal
Honestly unless they've been to film school or are a natural born talent, they won't likely have fun and original content until they've reached about 100+ videos. This is an art that has to be crafted over very long periods of time. Very few people have it right at first.
I am not sure it is a matter of school and, even if I was, it doesn't change the point: 5 great videos are better than 20 average ones.

If the question is "I'm a newbie, how long does it take to look like I'm kind of knowing what I am doing"" => 100 videos is a good advice. But the object was "Don't expect many subscribers until you have THIS many videos"

And even for the art school, I'm not sure, this is the point: for some topics, what will work great might be just a vlog with your iphone.
(When I look at Tik Tok for instance, the viral videos are not artistic videos but they can get tens of thousands of views).

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I agree with everyone, I have just posted my 40th, uploading consistently twice a week and I am about to do live streams weekly. However, since April about 32 uploads or so as I had a few videos on my channel before. I am concerned about overdoing the number of uploads a week and creating a kind of overload for my subscribers, although once I did an extra video but did not promote it. I just added it to a playlist and it gets views.
I am not sure I would be able to upload 3 videos consistently every week (I try and do what You tube loves) On the other hand if I make the commitment I am sure I will be able to do so ..You just canΓÇÖt run away from hard work, dedication and commitment can you? As we all seem to agree the more videos out there the more chance of being seen algorithms and all that.

I am not sure it is a matter of school and, even if I was, it doesn't change the point: 5 great videos are better than 20 average ones.

If the question is "I'm a newbie, how long does it take to look like I'm kind of knowing what I am doing"" => 100 videos is a good advice. But the object was "Don't expect many subscribers until you have THIS many videos"

And even for the art school, I'm not sure, this is the point: for some topics, what will work great might be just a vlog with your iphone.
(When I look at Tik Tok for instance, the viral videos are not artistic videos but they can get tens of thousands of views).
Tik Tok is an unusual phenomenon with quite a lot of dynamics involved quite different from most social media platforms (in my opinion). I talk as an observer that looks at Tik Tok.

Reactions: Tarot et Intuition
Good advice! A good successful channel takes patience, time and dedication. It doesn't grow overnight! It took almost 3 months for me to reach my 100 subscribers! So if you really wan to be successful at YouTube, keep creating new and engaging content and don't give up!

TanookiAlex

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So, I've been noticing quite a few new potentially cool channels, the only problem is they tend to only have 2 or 3 videos, and I don't tend to subscribe to many channels unless they have about 20 videos or so.

Roberto Blake often promotes the idea of "make 100 crappy videos" which ties into my theory that you shouldn't start expecting any real subscriber growth until you have at least 20+ videos under your belt.

20+ videos shows people you have commitment, commitment means you're likely to continue producing videos, meaning I probably MIGHT subscribe because there's the potential that you'll be releasing more videos (as long as they're not veriaty and reaction videos)

It took me 30 videos, and 3 months before I got my first 100 subscribers, and I don''t think I got my first 20 subscribers until I had at least 20 videos out. These things take tme.

So at the minimum, don't expect any growth, good SEO or not, until you have a gallery of videos worth subscribing to. even 10 videos isn't going to cut it with me, a month old channel might flake out and give up, so why should I subscribe? 10 videos that are all over the place? why would I think your next video will be what I'm interested in?

20 videos shows you have commitment, you have a clear idea of where you want your channel to go, and that shows a value of trust.

So work on 20 amazing videos FIRST. worry about the subscribers and views later, because until you have 20 videos, you really don't have anything yet. the game has only just started.

I see the growth aspect, but honestly, i don't see the point of just on a whim producing tiny videos or cheap videos. is the whole point of roberto's argument to make mistakes early on? yes, i agree with that a lot worded that way.

sadriercan

TubeBuddy Pro
I think video qualities more efficent than video count. If people find your videos useful it doesnt matter how many are that. So they can subscribe your channel.

RipzDrawingYT

Subscriber Goal
So, I've been noticing quite a few new potentially cool channels, the only problem is they tend to only have 2 or 3 videos, and I don't tend to subscribe to many channels unless they have about 20 videos or so.

Roberto Blake often promotes the idea of "make 100 crappy videos" which ties into my theory that you shouldn't start expecting any real subscriber growth until you have at least 20+ videos under your belt.

20+ videos shows people you have commitment, commitment means you're likely to continue producing videos, meaning I probably MIGHT subscribe because there's the potential that you'll be releasing more videos (as long as they're not veriaty and reaction videos)

It took me 30 videos, and 3 months before I got my first 100 subscribers, and I don''t think I got my first 20 subscribers until I had at least 20 videos out. These things take tme.

So at the minimum, don't expect any growth, good SEO or not, until you have a gallery of videos worth subscribing to. even 10 videos isn't going to cut it with me, a month old channel might flake out and give up, so why should I subscribe? 10 videos that are all over the place? why would I think your next video will be what I'm interested in?

20 videos shows you have commitment, you have a clear idea of where you want your channel to go, and that shows a value of trust.

So work on 20 amazing videos FIRST. worry about the subscribers and views later, because until you have 20 videos, you really don't have anything yet. the game has only just started.
I think i have more than 20 vids but i dnt see much rise in my Subscribers count
Its really saddening

Reactions: Damon

RipzDrawingYT

Subscriber Goal
Don't be sad. It's best to target more like 150 videos.
Omg tats gna take me a really long time...
Can you give me some tips..cause i dnt get much views other than that of my friends and i have to share to them in order to get like views

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Anything worth doing takes a really long time and a lot of hard work. If you uploaded three videos a week, you'd have 150 videos in a year's time.

You need a target audience, a keyword rich title, tags, description. Above all you have to make videos that people want to watch. I suggest starting with the book "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck" by Steve Stockman. Then watch every tutorial that TubeBuddy puts out. You have to make a plan for the long term. I didn;t start seeing more subscribers until about 650 videos.

• Wow
Reactions: RipzDrawingYT

RipzDrawingYT

Subscriber Goal
Anything worth doing takes a really long time and a lot of hard work. If you uploaded three videos a week, you'd have 150 videos in a year's time.

You need a target audience, a keyword rich title, tags, description. Above all you have to make videos that people want to watch. I suggest starting with the book "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck" by Steve Stockman. Then watch every tutorial that TubeBuddy puts out. You have to make a plan for the long term. I didn;t start seeing more subscribers until about 650 videos.
I upload during the weekends is that alright?

Reactions: Keeping up with the