• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice Help with my set up

A Scot Living Abroad

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Over the 2 months, I have been making videos in Osaka, japan to upload in YouTube. I have 2 channels, 1 for JDM cars and another for walk around videos in Osaka area. I was doing all this anyway, so thought be as well start uploading it.

I have a lot of work to do with improving my content but one area I need help with is my set-up.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 5759 lap top, Intel Core i7-6500 CPU @2.5GHz, it has 8 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system and x64 processor. It has Intel HD Graphics 520 graphics card.

For filming I use my iPhone X, I also recently bought a Go Pro Hero 8. Due to the stabilization of using the iphone while walking, I bought a Zhiyun smooth4 gimble.

To edit I was using filmora 9 on the laptop but due to mixed results, started using iMovie also.

On my iPhone, the videos are crystal clear, when I transfer to computer and edit with filmora 9, I have mixed quality results. When using direct from iPhone to iMovie, the quality is much better but not perfect. Even the Go Pro has mixed results, some is very clear and others you can see some pixelated areas.

This could be my technic, my laptop or maybe WIFI connect makes a difference?

Looking for support with a good set up for the type of videos I will be making, walking and showing the area and also looking at cars and explaining what is in the video.

Dmi3Bals

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I see some of the strange pixels. Do you use any software for stabilization?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I used to get those pixelated areas with my old Contour ROAM action camera. Once I ditched action cameras and went with DLSR and cinema cameras, those issues went away. I have no idea why action cams do that.

OP
OP
A Scot Living Abroad

A Scot Living Abroad

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I see some of the strange pixels. Do you use any software for stabilization?

So I checked and there was no stabilization setting used in Filmora 9 when making the video.

I used to get those pixelated areas with my old Contour ROAM action camera. Once I ditched action cameras and went with DLSR and cinema cameras, those issues went away. I have no idea why action cams do that.

All the clips I see of people using this camera, its so clear, don't get why I get it in my videos.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
if you see the below video,the ground area goes pixilated at times, this was with a go pro hero 8

View: https://youtu.be/xzxlrA62Lf8
Is it like this while EDITING, or before you put the footage ONTO the computer, or is it only like in the video once uploaded?

It looks like the texture of the paving, and the leaves in the trees, is messing with the YouTube compression algorithm. Make sure you're filming your videos at the HIGHEST bitrate possible, and highest quality possible.

But in terms of the compression once it's uploaded to YouTube, there's nothing you can do about that.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYKDamqo2I
this video goes into the issue with compression and blurring once on YouTube, but can also be an issue with cameras as well. The more details in the video, on lower quality settings, the more those details need to be compressed. The less detail there is in a video, the less there needs to be compressed (which is why my art videos tend to not get compressed much because all there is in my videos, is a whate page, and some drawing lines)

OP
OP
A Scot Living Abroad

A Scot Living Abroad

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Is it like this while EDITING, or before you put the footage ONTO the computer, or is it only like in the video once uploaded?

It looks like the texture of the paving, and the leaves in the trees, is messing with the YouTube compression algorithm. Make sure you're filming your videos at the HIGHEST bitrate possible, and highest quality possible.

But in terms of the compression once it's uploaded to YouTube, there's nothing you can do about that.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYKDamqo2I
this video goes into the issue with compression and blurring once on YouTube, but can also be an issue with cameras as well. The more details in the video, on lower quality settings, the more those details need to be compressed. The less detail there is in a video, the less there needs to be compressed (which is why my art videos tend to not get compressed much because all there is in my videos, is a whate page, and some drawing lines)

The video on the camera is good, then when I put it on my computer and edit with filmora9 (the quality there goes bad, which I think is normal that it reduces the quality) Then when I upload it was like that. After this video, I went to a car garage and shot a video for my car channel, same process was followed and the video is very good quality. Maybe the dull environment round the castle versus it being sunny at the car location is a factor? This would also show in the original video though.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
The video on the camera is good, then when I put it on my computer and edit with filmora9 (the quality there goes bad, which I think is normal that it reduces the quality) Then when I upload it was like that. After this video, I went to a car garage and shot a video for my car channel, same process was followed and the video is very good quality. Maybe the dull environment round the castle versus it being sunny at the car location is a factor? This would also show in the original video though.

If it looks good on camera one thing that comes to mind is that it could be getting compressed in software? I personally never use GoPros as dealing with their Codec drives me nuts but thats the best idea I'd have. Make sure your getting the full resolution file and exporting without compression/down-scaling.

OP
OP
A Scot Living Abroad

A Scot Living Abroad

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If it looks good on camera one thing that comes to mind is that it could be getting compressed in software? I personally never use GoPros as dealing with their Codec drives me nuts but thats the best idea I'd have. Make sure your getting the full resolution file and exporting without compression/down-scaling.

Thanks for the feedback, will look in to this.

Midas

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
themidasmvmt.com
Subscriber Goal
You might have to consider the Canon EOS M50. Great starter Mirrorless camera. Solid for YouTube videos and is lightweight with certain lenses. I don't know about phones and action cameras solely for YT.

OP
OP
A Scot Living Abroad

A Scot Living Abroad

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Starting to realise my choice of camara was not the best, was looking at the Sony Vlogcam ZV-1, what's the thoughts on that versus the Canon EOS M50?

Ali Humaidi

alihumaidi.com
Subscriber Goal
Over the 2 months, I have been making videos in Osaka, japan to upload in YouTube. I have 2 channels, 1 for JDM cars and another for walk around videos in Osaka area. I was doing all this anyway, so thought be as well start uploading it.

I have a lot of work to do with improving my content but one area I need help with is my set-up.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 5759 lap top, Intel Core i7-6500 CPU @2.5GHz, it has 8 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system and x64 processor. It has Intel HD Graphics 520 graphics card.

For filming I use my iPhone X, I also recently bought a Go Pro Hero 8. Due to the stabilization of using the iphone while walking, I bought a Zhiyun smooth4 gimble.

To edit I was using filmora 9 on the laptop but due to mixed results, started using iMovie also.

On my iPhone, the videos are crystal clear, when I transfer to computer and edit with filmora 9, I have mixed quality results. When using direct from iPhone to iMovie, the quality is much better but not perfect. Even the Go Pro has mixed results, some is very clear and others you can see some pixelated areas.

This could be my technic, my laptop or maybe WIFI connect makes a difference?

Looking for support with a good set up for the type of videos I will be making, walking and showing the area and also looking at cars and explaining what is in the video.
what makes the difference is the quality of the video when you save, try using the best quality to save it into QHD or HD

OP
OP
A Scot Living Abroad

A Scot Living Abroad

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
what makes the difference is the quality of the video when you save, try using the best quality to save it into QHD or HD

The videos are being saved in HD, the video on YouTube shows as HD but viewing quality just doesnt match. I need to upgrade my laptop, it seems to be the graphics card that is struggling, pity it isn't just a swap in/out like a tower but will have to decide on do I wait until I go back to UK or just buy in Japan. Prices cheaper in UK and I know will be instructions etc in English, not always the case when buying in Japan.

J_SinistaProductions

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Starting to realise my choice of camara was not the best, was looking at the Sony Vlogcam ZV-1, what's the thoughts on that versus the Canon EOS M50?

I chose the Canon M50 route and I couldn't be more happy. In fact, I bought a second one as my run and gun cam and keep the main rig setup on a Tripod with a bunch of extras. When I upload my cycling videos (I use a GoPro Hero 8) and I have noticed that when I upload my videos, the footage while riding tends to become sort os pixelated and blurry. This may be due to the fact of movement which is unavoidable while riding. I can't compare it to the M50 while riding, because using that type of camera while riding IMO isn't practical.

OP
OP
A Scot Living Abroad

A Scot Living Abroad

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I chose the Canon M50 route and I couldn't be more happy. In fact, I bought a second one as my run and gun cam and keep the main rig setup on a Tripod with a bunch of extras. When I upload my cycling videos (I use a GoPro Hero 8) and I have noticed that when I upload my videos, the footage while riding tends to become sort os pixelated and blurry. This may be due to the fact of movement which is unavoidable while riding. I can't compare it to the M50 while riding, because using that type of camera while riding IMO isn't practical.

I am actually very disappointed with the gopro, was expecting much more. Thanks for the feedback on the M50.

• Love
Reactions: Damon