• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Captioning. How long does it take YOU?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So I've been transcribing and captioning a 46 minute video, and I'm finding it's taking an incredibly long time! Several hours in fact considering how many errors I've picked up in the auto captioning.

So for those of you who do your own closed captioning, not using another service... how long does it usually take you to caption your videos?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
So I've been transcribing and captioning a 46 minute video, and I'm finding it's taking an incredibly long time! Several hours in fact considering how many errors I've picked up in the auto captioning.

So for those of you who do your own closed captioning, not using another service... how long does it usually take you to caption your videos?

I script videos so a few minutes to just copy paste it and let it ride, but if I have to do it manually it can take up to an hour depending the length haha.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I script videos so a few minutes to just copy paste it and let it ride, but if I have to do it manually it can take up to an hour depending the length haha.
As they say now days... YAS!!!
one of the HUGE benifits to scripts. It's a shame I can't keep to a script in a 40+ minute drawing, but I was actually thinking that last night to myself "how much easier would this be if I just scripted my content"

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
My videos are typically +/- 15 minutes and it takes me 20-30 minutes to caption and translate. Not so bad if I do a 'talking head' style video (with clean audio and I talk clearly). But when we are vlogging at the beach it sucks. YT can not decypher what my wife is saying at all. Ever. It's comical.

Reactions: Travel Interesante

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It really takes a lot of time ! Job does not end just by uploading.. need to sit around 40min to add captions to my 5min video. I make videos in 'telugu' language and want it to be understood my non-telugu people also. So, I do add them. I don't know if it has any other benefit by adding captions.

but do you know the main problem is, the captions are not automatically turned on.

Viewers are not aware to switch it on and they are not able to understand language.

Any views on this point ?

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
It really takes a lot of time ! Job does not end just by uploading.. need to sit around 40min to add captions to my 5min video. I make videos in 'telugu' language and want it to be understood my non-telugu people also. So, I do add them. I don't know if it has any other benefit by adding captions.

but do you know the main problem is, the captions are not automatically turned on.

Viewers are not aware to switch it on and they are not able to understand language.

Any views on this point ?
If I click on a video with English titles and descriptions, but the language of the video is actually Japanese, I expect them to have English subtitles so I tend to always turn on the CC to check. Either way, if there are CC, I always turn them on because it's easier for me to understand :)

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
My videos are typically +/- 15 minutes and it takes me 20-30 minutes to caption and translate. Not so bad if I do a 'talking head' style video (with clean audio and I talk clearly). But when we are vlogging at the beach it sucks. YT can not decypher what my wife is saying at all. Ever. It's comical.
My latest video is on a dinosaur called "Mosasaurus" and it keeps translating it to "muscle sauce" :joy: I'm half tempted to make a cartoon dinosaur called "muscle-saurus" :joy:

Interestingly it got "Indominus Rex" correctly, so maybe the more people use CC on certain topics, the easier it is for the algorithm to understand certain words and terms

• Haha
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Abo Anmar

TubeBuddy User
Did you know that Google offers this service automatically in the new update in the video, which needs explanatory comments? You only need to choose the original video language and activate automatic Google translation if available, but this will not happen unless you specify the type of translation certificate and Google provides you with options in this regard that you can choose from Among them is compatible with the original video language, even if its programming is of the type that needs translation

Finally, you must specify the type of target audience language to which the original video language will be translated automatically if available.

بالتأكيد اذا كنت سوف اقوم بهذا العمل حرفيا بشكل يدوي سوف ياخذ مني وقتا طويلا حسب مدة الفيديو وكثافة المحتوى

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Did you know that Google offers this service automatically in the new update in the video, which needs explanatory comments? You only need to choose the original video language and activate automatic Google translation if available, but this will not happen unless you specify the type of translation certificate and Google provides you with options in this regard that you can choose from Among them is compatible with the original video language, even if its programming is of the type that needs translation

Finally, you must specify the type of target audience language to which the original video language will be translated automatically if available.
The problem I'm finding with automatic translations, is if it's tied to automatic captions, there WILL be many errors and mistranslations which can potentially be dangerous if it accidently translates profanities and slurs. I've found some cuss words being inserted into my auto captions, and I've heard a few other creators had their videos age restricted simply because their translations had bad words accidently mistranslated. So it's always important to double check, even if there's automatic abilities.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I was letting YT generate the caption, then I would download it, edit it, and reupload it. Still took too long, but better than writing from scratch. The auto generated was pretty good, so the editing went fairly smoothly. But... less than 2% of my viewers use captions, so I gave up on editing them. A 10 or 15 minute video could still easily take an hour.

ChrisDinUK

My videos are 10-20 mins duration. I use Descript to produce a transcript. I spend around 20 mins (max) editing the transcript and then I have Descript produce the srt file directly from that. Upload and job done.

Abo Anmar

TubeBuddy User
Yes, my friend, this is true. Review and audit is very important, but the difference is not starting from scratch. Automatic translation from Google can withdraw the translation file and download it for review in a quick review. Quite a good while originally a fun, delicious and positive energy business
Here I would like to point out a very important and very sensitive point, which is trying to comply as much as possible in the official language in which you speak or write the content and move away from the common language that contains some local words and terms that automatic translation does not understand for a simple reason which is not adopting it in the translation algorithm as a local language Some understand it and others do not understand it in the local community itself, the village or the state, and this is the main reason for the catastrophic errors that occur in automatic translation, which ultimately leads to changing the meanings of some linguistic terms and causes trouble and legal question, commitment, the official language has excellent results and produces a very accurate translation On many subjects, you will never need a correction and this saves you effort and time.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I was letting YT generate the caption, then I would download it, edit it, and reupload it. Still took too long, but better than writing from scratch. The auto generated was pretty good, so the editing went fairly smoothly. But... less than 2% of my viewers use captions, so I gave up on editing them. A 10 or 15 minute video could still easily take an hour.
I've never done it like that before. I always just edit the captions that Google has already transcribed. Their's are always wrong, but I've never had to change more than a couple dozen words to correct them.

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
I've spent hours upon hours captioning my videos, it takes at least double video length to do the captioning. Sadly I've fallen behind and don't really have the stamina to pick it up. I would love to have a partner that I could pay a monthly salary to do that work. But I need to wait until I can finance that :)

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've spent hours upon hours captioning my videos, it takes at least double video length to do the captioning. Sadly I've fallen behind and don't really have the stamina to pick it up. I would love to have a partner that I could pay a monthly salary to do that work. But I need to wait until I can finance that :)
There are services that you can do that with. I know Nick and Dee Nimmin often promote some. I think one is called Rev? They essentially charge per minute, so if the video is 4 minutes, it costs $4 which is a nice small investment. Some of my videos are 50 minutes, so the price can raise significantly for those videos :p I have 170+ videos to do this with, so I know the pain :p

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
How important is captioning? I've never captioned a video but have noticed that YouTube has added captions.

Welcome to Gaming

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I stopped doing it when I moved to uploading more frequently. It takes so long and I'm maxed out with the amount of time it takes me to just record, edit and upload now. I've heard it's really important to CC your vids but the process is excruciatingly slow and I can't afford the time on it.

ParayHD

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Captioning takes so much time...It makes me hate the whole process of editing which should be rather fun.