• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Top tip for today to grow subscribers

Richard Cabile

Subscriber Goal
You're right BRO. derect to the point, nothing more. If I was watching I would also be direct to the point. for no waste of time. Especially if your Internet Data is limited, haha ..

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I've noticed in analytics that subscriber growth is much higher when the video is short and to the point!
Watch how this video is very direct as to what the viewer wants to see - instant value and straight to the point:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgLvfPJIfjs

So it can help, but it's different per channel. I tend to say make the video as long as it needs to be, but not a second more. I think this is a great example of that. However, she also knew the audience for this type of video, and made it informative, and to the point.

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
I've noticed in analytics that subscriber growth is much higher when the video is short and to the point!
Watch how this video is very direct as to what the viewer wants to see - instant value and straight to the point:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgLvfPJIfjs
My channel is more about news and current events so it normally would not be that short cause all opinions and thought needs to be aired. I also use a lot of videos evidence to back my topic which is what subcribbers want. I do understand that short videos are good but it depends on content I will say.

AurigaDave

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.astronomyshows4schools.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
I tend to say make the video as long as it needs to be, but not a second more.
Absolutely, as long as it needs to be is IMHO really important, as we are all different, cutting things short or making things long, because you have seen/heard it is best is a poor strategy, do your channel your way, listen to advice but make your videos the best they can be, whatever the length.

Lanzerd

Esde acuerdo con tigo , yo no encuentro soluci├│n con vistas a mis videos soy you tuber nuevo y no logro quisiera ayuda

AurigaDave

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.astronomyshows4schools.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
I don't think you should be posting that content on this page?? you are simply putting a link to your channel

OP
OP
blackbeltsecrets

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
But what about the fact that some 'gurus' constantly claim that your video must be 15 min long to get benefit of YT algorithm?
I have a video 4.4 minutes long with almost 4 million views... and the production quality was rubbish and I was tired and sounded gruff when I recorded it! It's the value to the viewer that counts, nothing else.

[screenshot] :
Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 09.09.33.png

Reactions: Growing Up Walls

BaldBoldBear

BaldBoldBearGaming
TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I absolutely agree, I think that's something I need to work on. Being a gaming channel it's quite hard to shorten down the playthrough but I guess to make it short and snappy I'll have to work on it!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
But what about the fact that some 'gurus' constantly claim that your video must be 15 min long to get benefit of YT algorithm?

Honestly those gurus don't pay your rent. I hate watching a 3 minute video that was stretched out to 15 minutes. That's a great way to lose my subscription. Always remember that the algorithm is not the end user. Your subscribers are the end user. They will tell you how long your videos should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Growing Up Walls

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

Most of the ones I know say make it as long as it should be and not a second longer :X

Also I don't claim to be a expert or guru, I just work with YouTube for a long time, and have built the TB channel from 6,000 to over 300,000 :)

• Haha
Reactions: Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That is heavily dependent on the audience (but I absolutely do NOT disagree). You want to keep your audience educated/entertained and one of the purest forms of doing so is by practicing practical video length. You can literally make the video as long as you want (look at the hordes of people binge-watching The Avengers, The Lord of the Rings or Star Wars movies) but you can only keep it as long as the value of the content. So if you produce something that is the quality of the Lord of the Rings trilogy sure, you can do a ten hour video. If you have a clip of a bird eating out of your hand you may want to cut that down a bit.

The point being that video length is an important aspect of being successful on platform, and one of the larger more looming issues with new creators is that they want to fit all of their footage into a video. A standard rule of thumb in video media is to 'enter a scene late and leave early,' that is to say that you want to leave the audience wanting more. And you do that by cutting your content down until you have an equilibrium of quality content and entertainment regardless of length.

Sorry, I'm in a typing mood today guys. Gotta get it out of my system somewhere!

Reactions: Damon

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Wow! Lots of good discussion on this thread! People are right that the end user will dictate how long your video should be along with the type of content you provide. I think the best thing to do is to test it with your audience.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

LiquidOcelot

TubeBuddy User
I have given up on all strategies for getting subscribers and have gone the sales man route so when like i am travelling using a public transport i spot someone using a cell phone with data on i tell them to please subscribe and hand them over a toffee; at my work place i put my mobile hot spot on and tell every one to use my data and subscribe to my channel. I give real life cta for getting subscribers and trust me i got 16 subscribers using this method just today so this method is working. Thing with getting youtube subscribers is you need to ask alot and to be frank during the video CTA is a huge issue for me but i think i need to start doing this more often if i were to reach my goal of 100k subscribers by the end of 2030.