• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Question Laptop for editing

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am wondering if someone could give me some advice on laptops that are super fast and give good quality video from editing. IΓÇÖm not ok with buying run of the mill comps as IΓÇÖve had nothing but trouble from mainstream ones. Please donΓÇÖt say HP they were the worst I ever owned. I want one that can grow with me as I get better. Great editing programs would be well received. I currently only use iPhone 11 Pro and iPad Air 2 which is not great. This is getting really difficult and itΓÇÖs time for an upgrade. I love the filming capabilities of my iPhone so it would need to be compatible with that as IΓÇÖm not in a place financially to get both laptop and new camera.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I am wondering if someone could give me some advice on laptops that are super fast and give good quality video from editing. IΓÇÖm not ok with buying run of the mill comps as IΓÇÖve had nothing but trouble from mainstream ones. Please donΓÇÖt say HP they were the worst I ever owned. I want one that can grow with me as I get better. Great editing programs would be well received. I currently only use iPhone 11 Pro and iPad Air 2 which is not great. This is getting really difficult and itΓÇÖs time for an upgrade. I love the filming capabilities of my iPhone so it would need to be compatible with that as IΓÇÖm not in a place financially to get both laptop and new camera.

What is your budget? That can help us help you! However, since you're in the apple ecosystem I guess why not a Mac?

Ragnacus

As of now im using a 5 year old lenovo y40-70 and.. i mean it does its job, it just struggles with the playback if its heavily edited with the framerate dropping to 3 (Im getting a legion y740 so this isnt the recomendation). But my advice on the editing software i would recomend the Davinci Resolve 16, its free and its essentially the poor mans adobe premiere.

Reactions: AurigaDave

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
As of now im using a 5 year old lenovo y40-70 and.. i mean it does its job, it just struggles with the playback if its heavily edited with the framerate dropping to 3 (Im getting a legion y740 so this isnt the recomendation). But my advice on the editing software i would recomend the Davinci Resolve 16, its free and its essentially the poor mans adobe premiere.

I don't think they're looking for an editing software (Might be wrong) I think they're looking for a laptop.

Ragnacus

You might be right actually, i read it as an addition. Anyhoo Ill report back with the new comp if its any worth for editing, but as ur first question states its all about the budget innit

Reactions: TakeEachDay
OP
OP
TakeEachDay

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
What is your budget? That can help us help you! However, since you're in the apple ecosystem I guess why not a Mac?
ItΓÇÖs not about budget really I just want one that doesnΓÇÖt crash or glitch. So for right one a few thousand isnΓÇÖt the issue. Here in Australia we have a company called MSI which are gamers comps but they have an editing laptop so if anyone has experience with the new one I would like to hear it. My 15 yo MSI still works well just outdated and slow now.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
ItΓÇÖs not about budget really I just want one that doesnΓÇÖt crash or glitch. So for right one a few thousand isnΓÇÖt the issue. Here in Australia we have a company called MSI which are gamers comps but they have an editing laptop so if anyone has experience with the new one I would like to hear it. My 15 yo MSI still works well just outdated and slow now.

MSI is a great brand, and if you're looking for editing gaming laptops can work really well! You want one with a good processor, ram, and a dedicated graphics card :)

OP
OP
TakeEachDay

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
MSI is a great brand, and if you're looking for editing gaming laptops can work really well! You want one with a good processor, ram, and a dedicated graphics card :)
Thankyou IΓÇÖve been steering towards MSI but like to get a wide idea on whatΓÇÖs available. They have a great little editing comp which should do the trick. They are pricey but if I look at a MacBook Pro itΓÇÖs around similar cost with better after sales. ItΓÇÖs hard doing all of YouTube on ipad I canΓÇÖt access a lot of the features of YouTube and TubeBuddy. I donΓÇÖt even know who my subscribers are so I can reward them.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Thankyou IΓÇÖve been steering towards MSI but like to get a wide idea on whatΓÇÖs available. They have a great little editing comp which should do the trick. They are pricey but if I look at a MacBook Pro itΓÇÖs around similar cost with better after sales. ItΓÇÖs hard doing all of YouTube on ipad I canΓÇÖt access a lot of the features of YouTube and TubeBuddy. I donΓÇÖt even know who my subscribers are so I can reward them.

Fair, I'd say if you want to keep inside the ecosystem you're already in then Apple makes a lot of sense :) However, why not build a desktop? Is it the portability aspect? :)

OP
OP
TakeEachDay

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Fair, I'd say if you want to keep inside the ecosystem you're already in then Apple makes a lot of sense :) However, why not build a desktop? Is it the portability aspect? :)
Yes IΓÇÖm going to be packing up and travelling with my 12 yo autistic boy in the next year so will need to keep compact

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Yes IΓÇÖm going to be packing up and travelling with my 12 yo autistic boy in the next year so will need to keep compact

That's fair! I've heard REALLY Good things about the mac pro 16 inch which should be able to keep you for at least 3+ years :) Laptops are always an investment.

Here is an MSI I'd go for personally:

AurigaDave

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.astronomyshows4schools.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
I use a Lenovo G50 with Filmora and I would agree unless your videos are 4k and fast action the software is more important

OP
OP
TakeEachDay

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thankyou all for your suggestions. I Appreciate the time. ItΓÇÖs a big investment and I have gone so very wrong in the past and this will need to last me a few good solid years I want to get it right

AussieBangerz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I use my Macbook Pro...
It's about 5-6 years old now but I recently upgrade the ram and jumped to a SSD Drive.
Huge difference it made too..
Final Cut Pro X works perfectly for me..

610 Hustles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Little advice....Stay away from Cyberpower PC, that is what I use for gaming and editing, took three hours to edit my last video with the crashes, lagging and not responding messages.

OP
OP
TakeEachDay

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I use my Macbook Pro...
It's about 5-6 years old now but I recently upgrade the ram and jumped to a SSD Drive.
Huge difference it made too..
Final Cut Pro X works perfectly for me..
Thankyou IΓÇÖm looking into the macs and I think IΓÇÖll stick with apple IΓÇÖve never been let down. They are front runners atm. Thankyou for the heads up on editing program

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If you're in the Apple ecosystem I'd recommend a MacBook Pro. Unfortunatly they're a lot more expensive than they used to be when I got mine, but I think they'd be best suited because they're essentially designed for video and graphic editing.

In PC area, you want to make sure you have plenty of ram and processor speed. You can get yourself one with a geforce graphics card, but I'd look into laptops with lightning/thunderport ports. You can then hook up an external graphics card enclosure so you can use beefier graphics cards if you need them.

Although I know you can't really go wrong with a MacBook Pro when it comes to video editing, because that's half the point of their existance.