• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Mobile Gear does anyone else use their regular phone to record videos, what do you use for good liting,

dean the rat

Known Member
i use a zte android phone and a Samsung galaxy tablet to record videos but they are always so dark how do i get better lite natural is to bright and my regular lite is to weak

RazzBarlow

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
There are lots of lighting solutions, LED and otherwise. Some cheap, most not so cheap. Some are even very compact and could be easily used with a cell phone. There is a free source of perfect lighting that is available on most days, it's the sun!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
There are lots of lighting solutions, LED and otherwise. Some cheap, most not so cheap. Some are even very compact and could be easily used with a cell phone. There is a free source of perfect lighting that is available on most days, it's the sun!

Great advice! When it comes to phones, they need more light for their REALLY small sensor, so experiment with it, and see what looks good for you! :D

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I used a cruddy $250 oppo phone to record a super long video. Quality isn't that great but it did the job. Eventually it will be out :p lighting was the main tricky part because when shooting art from above, I'm always worrying about casting shadows.

Reactions: Netski64
OP
OP
dean the rat

dean the rat

Known Member
I used a cruddy $250 oppo phone to record a super long video. Quality isn't that great but it did the job. Eventually it will be out :p lighting was the main tricky part because when shooting art from above, I'm always worrying about casting shadows.
my videos are my pets trying different foods but yes shadows are the enemy

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Netski64

www.shareintlstudio.com
Subscriber Goal
I use my Huawei P30pro for my videos. Good quality. I only use a regular white lamp for lighting, putting it in a strategic place where my shadows won't be seen.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I use a Huawei Nova 3i, my backup is my old Samsung J5. Both are about the same. Outdoors, in daylight, I am very happy with the results. Indoors it needs more light. And nighttime it is not good outdoors. I bought a ring light on a stand for indoor use. It has 3 color settings and lots of dimmer settings. Being USB powered means I can plug it into any USB hub for power. Usually the computer, but I have velcroed a battery pack on it for mobility. The ring light was about $12 online, including shipping.

846ba6d0eab40bb0250ce3ca47b31f76.jpg

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I use my phone... S10+ now but prior to September I was using an S6. I just have a pair of $5 can lights from Home Depot that I use for livestreams. Natural light bulbs with wax paper taped to the front of the cone diffuses well.

OP
OP
dean the rat

dean the rat

Known Member
You should put them in a tiny harness and take them for a walk outside :) that would be adorable or at the very least hilarious :p
i tried lol they stuck to my leg for dear life

i have a crappy 25 dollar phone lol talk about casting shadows

For good lighting, I've found sitting near a window if you have access to daylight or just outdoors working amazingly! Then, when indoors, I have some Viltrox LED Light Panels that allow me to adjust the temperature of the lights instead of just having an option of it being on or off. That way if you notice your lights are "too bright" and your skin is looking "weird" and super blown out because it's too bright, you can turn them down. In addition to adjust the brightness and settings on your phone.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Breakingbrowderfarm

Subscriber Goal
I started on my phone as well and tried to film all my videos outside in the daylight if I could. If not I've seen that amazon has some great quality ring lights that have easy set up, as well as light boxes.

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have used my phone for all my videos. I started with iPhone 6 but upgraded to iPhone 11 Pro. My main issue is I edit on my old 5th gen iPad and itΓÇÖs not cutting it so the video quality isnΓÇÖt as good as it could be. iPhone has 4K but iPad converts to 1080 which has reduced video quality and pixelated look at times. I would love ideas on how to minimise this while I save for good editing laptop

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Personally I edit straight on my phone (S10+) using Kinemaster… avoiding the switch from iPhone to iPad may prevent the conversion?

AussieBangerz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I use my iPhone 11..
I try to get natural lighting in but I also use one of those beauty ring lights as @Tito Tim mentioned earlier...