• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Audio Gear Should i spend my money on a microphone?

AurigaDave

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.astronomyshows4schools.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
I use 2 mics, a Marantz Pro MPM1000U - USB Condenser Studio Microphone for my pure audio work, costs about £40 and has a USB lead..i 100% plug n play (does not need a phantom power supply)
I use a Rode on my DSLR for filming work (similar price)

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
For me, the audio experience went like this:
1. Digital Audio Recorder (I got the Zoom H4n. It's pro quality and has built in mic as well as multi-channel XLR inputs. XLR is the standard in the recording industry and gives you a lot more flexibility in equipment. I paid $200.00 or so.)
2. Audacity Editing Software (It's free and extremely powerful)
3. Sennheiser e835 "stick" microphone (Has a rich tone and XLR connections. About $100.00)
4. Yamaha MG10XUF 10-channel mixer (Allows multiple audio inputs, real-time mixing of levels and gains. XLR connections. There might be a repeating theme there. :) I can record multiple inputs through the board directly onto my Zoom H4n. About $200.00)
5. Shure SM11 lavalier mic (This is the "clip-on" microphone similar to what you see commonly on news broadcasts etc... XLR connection. About $100.00)

Future Wish List:

1. "Shotgun" mic that I can attach to my camera. Currently looking at Rode for this.
2. Wireless lavalier mics (yes, more than one) for more flexibility in talking head style videos. Don't have a preference yet, other than it has to have XLR connection.

Wow!!! I have been simply using my sansumg phone everything.

I have never thought about viewers audio experence before. I have practically used my Samsung phone for everything. I just keep feeling that I should not spend personal money until I start making money. Anywayz maybe thats a problem, I dont know.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I have never thought about viewers audio experence before. I have practically used my Samsung phone for everything. I just keep feeling that I should not spend personal money until I start making money. Anywayz maybe thats a problem, I dont know.
Which samsung phone do you use? I recorded one or two videos in the past using a galaxy S4 and in my opinion the audio was at least decent. I'm sure newer phones are perfectly fine for audio, to the point where external microphones for a phone have limited improvements depending on how much you spend. I've seen some comparisons of higher end external microphones compared to phone microphones and the phone microphone was on par in terms of quality. I have a $250 oppo phone so my phone microphone is horrible, but I'm sure Samsung's are pretty decent.

Reactions: Blessing

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Which samsung phone do you use? I recorded one or two videos in the past using a galaxy S4 and in my opinion the audio was at least decent. I'm sure newer phones are perfectly fine for audio, to the point where external microphones for a phone have limited improvements depending on how much you spend. I've seen some comparisons of higher end external microphones compared to phone microphones and the phone microphone was on par in terms of quality. I have a $250 oppo phone so my phone microphone is horrible, but I'm sure Samsung's are pretty decent.
Samsung S9. The video and audio is amazing but horrible when it's live stream. The pictures during live streams are not good qualities but then cos my vlog is kind of talking about issues relating to families, people havent complained it. I am seriously thinking about which camera that is not that costly or a camcoder that can buy.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Samsung S9. The video and audio is amazing but horrible when it's live stream. The pictures during live streams are not good qualities but then cos my vlog is kind of talking about issues relating to families, people havent complained it. I am seriously thinking about which camera that is not that costly or a camcoder that can buy.
I think the live stream quality is less to do with the phone and more to do with your internet speed and how you stream. Do you stream directly from your phone? and how do you connect to youtube livestreams? Do you use Streamlabs?

A lot of folks are having issues with livestream quality at the moment. Nothing to do with the equipment you're using, and everything to do with the internet quality right now with everyone using the internet because of self isolation and YouTube intentionally reducing their quality, so that's going to impact your livestreams as the stream is compressed, that will compress the sound and video.

IF you have the ability to downscale your video to say, 480p and reduce your bitrate to say 1000-6000 (depending on your upload speed) that will help take the pressure off youtube and will mean your audio will sound better and get less distorted. I don't really think an S9 would benifit too much for a mic unless it's a fairly sizable upgrade. Andrew or Dee Nimmin will know more about that.

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
I think the live stream quality is less to do with the phone and more to do with your internet speed and how you stream. Do you stream directly from your phone? and how do you connect to youtube livestreams? Do you use Streamlabs?

A lot of folks are having issues with livestream quality at the moment. Nothing to do with the equipment you're using, and everything to do with the internet quality right now with everyone using the internet because of self isolation and YouTube intentionally reducing their quality, so that's going to impact your livestreams as the stream is compressed, that will compress the sound and video.

IF you have the ability to downscale your video to say, 480p and reduce your bitrate to say 1000-6000 (depending on your upload speed) that will help take the pressure off youtube and will mean your audio will sound better and get less distorted. I don't really think an S9 would benifit too much for a mic unless it's a fairly sizable upgrade. Andrew or Dee Nimmin will know more about that.
Thanks

If am to go for a camera or camcoder which will you advise. I do more of travel vlog when we travel as a family. I also talk current issues relating to marriages, lifestyle and children to spine my opinon about it in am educative way and gossip.

RazzBarlow

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Wow!!! I have been simply using my sansumg phone everything.

Ask yourself this simple question: Have you ever stopped watching a video because the audio was inaudible or just annoying? The better experience you can create for the viewer, the longer they will stay on your videos. And watch time is king on YouTube. Nothing wrong with filming on a phone, tons of YouTubers do it. But always strive to improve your product. You won't be disappointed by higher quality, ever.

Carpot

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
In my eyes, Audio is one of the biggest parts of what makes an enjoyable video. Listenenig to someone and always having this white noise in my ear? Would not watch longer than a minute.
There are good microphones even if you dont want to spend 100$. You do not have to start with a Rode (when you learn to drive a car, your first car wont be a Porsche!).
Your voice will become more likely to listen to and you save a lot of time by almost no need of post editing your audio.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
In my eyes, Audio is one of the biggest parts of what makes an enjoyable video. Listenenig to someone and always having this white noise in my ear? Would not watch longer than a minute.
There are good microphones even if you dont want to spend 100$. You do not have to start with a Rode (when you learn to drive a car, your first car wont be a Porsche!).
Your voice will become more likely to listen to and you save a lot of time by almost no need of post editing your audio.

What I find is people can USUALLY forgive bad visuals, but they can't STAND listening to bad audio. They're both important, and help the viewer connect with your content, if you can fix one of the disconnects, it's huge!

chileno0826

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Absolutely! I just started my channel so I bought the Snowball iCE microphone and its great for starting out!