• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Audio Gear Should i spend my money on a microphone?

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Hello guys!
I have saved some money and i was wondering if i should invest my money on a microphone for my youtube channel! for better quality!
Currently im not that big!
Should i wait or just spend them on a microphone?

Reactions: PhatBeetz

Jonnoi

Recognized Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal
Most definitely!!! You want to ensure your video is delivering the best audio as possible so that your audience can hear you properly. I'm also in the process of acquiring a microphone because my camera's internal microphone can only do so much. You'll see the benefit of it my having an external microphone that has a wider range thus making it easier for you to make your content. Having the camera further away from you can give the viewers a feel of them being there with you.Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Scuplex
OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Most definitely!!! You want to ensure your video is delivering the best audio as possible so that your audience can hear you properly. I'm also in the process of acquiring a microphone because my camera's internal microphone can only do so much. You'll see the benefit of it my having an external microphone that has a wider range thus making it easier for you to make your content. Having the camera further away from you can give the viewers a feel of them being there with you.Hope this helps :)
Helps a lot and thanks a lot :D

Reactions: Jonnoi

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello guys!
I have saved some money and i was wondering if i should invest my money on a microphone for my youtube channel! for better quality!
Currently im not that big!
Should i wait or just spend them on a microphone?

Absolutely! Audio is HALF the video experience, if you can afford it, and you like the way it sounds and works go for it :D

OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
What do you use to record your videos currently?
im a gamer I use OBS and Audacity for audio(Audacity helps me to make my microphone audio a little bit better!!)

Absolutely! Audio is HALF the video experience if you can afford it, and you like the way it sounds and works go for it :D

Yea i guess i will invest on a microphone! But it will take a month to get shipped to me :/ (covid.....)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Yea i guess i will invest on a microphone! But it will take a month to get shipped to me :/ (covid.....)

Just gives you time to REALLY decide what you want! What's your budget? Can help us give you recommendations! I also moved this to gear discussion, since this is about gear!

OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Just gives you time to REALLY decide what you want! What's your budget? Can help us give you recommendations! I also moved this to gear discussion, since this is about gear!
Well i have a budget of 100$ and 120$ !
i searched through the internet and stuff and i found out a 30$ microphone that sounds like blue yeti and better!(Name of the microphone Fifine 699b)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
i searched through the internet and stuff and i found out a 30$ microphone that sounds like blue yeti and better!(Name of the microphone Fifine 699b)

So do you want a mic you can use forever? or one you have to upgrade a bit down the line? :X I guess for me a lot of times it's worth spending a bit more for something that can last a while! Will this be used just for gameplay, or for talking to camera too? :)

OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
So do you want a mic you can use forever? or one you have to upgrade a bit down the line? :X I guess for me a lot of times it's worth spending a bit more for something that can last a while! Will this be used just for gameplay, or for talking to camera too? :)
Gameplay for now ahahha :)

RazzBarlow

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
For me, the audio experience went like this:
1. Digital Audio Recorder (I got the Zoom H4n. It's pro quality and has built in mic as well as multi-channel XLR inputs. XLR is the standard in the recording industry and gives you a lot more flexibility in equipment. I paid $200.00 or so.)
2. Audacity Editing Software (It's free and extremely powerful)
3. Sennheiser e835 "stick" microphone (Has a rich tone and XLR connections. About $100.00)
4. Yamaha MG10XUF 10-channel mixer (Allows multiple audio inputs, real-time mixing of levels and gains. XLR connections. There might be a repeating theme there. :) I can record multiple inputs through the board directly onto my Zoom H4n. About $200.00)
5. Shure SM11 lavalier mic (This is the "clip-on" microphone similar to what you see commonly on news broadcasts etc... XLR connection. About $100.00)

Future Wish List:

1. "Shotgun" mic that I can attach to my camera. Currently looking at Rode for this.
2. Wireless lavalier mics (yes, more than one) for more flexibility in talking head style videos. Don't have a preference yet, other than it has to have XLR connection.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If you can invest a little more money, I'd suggest getting a Rode NT-USB because it's sound is amazing, but I can also vouch for the Audio Technica ATR2100 USB. It's $100 Australian, the sound isn't as good, but not bad, and combine it with a mic arm and it will more or less keep out of your way while gaming. Rode NT-USB and even the blue yetis can be a bit big.

It also depends if you want to go with the "cool" factor, because I know style can play a big factor (unfortunatly)

I'd listen to a lot of audio reviews on YouTube. Find a bunch of mics in your budget, hop onto youtube BEFORE you make your decision, and give a listen to all the reviews that show examples of each mic, then make a decision based on which ones you like the most. The Audio Technica, and also the samson q2u have pretty decent sound for a $100-120 budget that won't annoy you by being in the way all the time. But they won't sound "as good" as the Rode NT-USB

and personally i find the NT-USB sounds a lot better than most of the blue yeti's except maybe the black edition? the pro edition? either way that mic sounds even better, but also costs $100 more.

"Podcastage" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvOU-zTlankT-JjN3ZzvuKA has some amazing examples of a wide range of mics you can look at.

For me, the audio experience went like this:
1. Digital Audio Recorder (I got the Zoom H4n. It's pro quality and has built in mic as well as multi-channel XLR inputs. XLR is the standard in the recording industry and gives you a lot more flexibility in equipment. I paid $200.00 or so.)
2. Audacity Editing Software (It's free and extremely powerful)
3. Sennheiser e835 "stick" microphone (Has a rich tone and XLR connections. About $100.00)
4. Yamaha MG10XUF 10-channel mixer (Allows multiple audio inputs, real-time mixing of levels and gains. XLR connections. There might be a repeating theme there. :) I can record multiple inputs through the board directly onto my Zoom H4n. About $200.00)
5. Shure SM11 lavalier mic (This is the "clip-on" microphone similar to what you see commonly on news broadcasts etc... XLR connection. About $100.00)

Future Wish List:

1. "Shotgun" mic that I can attach to my camera. Currently looking at Rode for this.
2. Wireless lavalier mics (yes, more than one) for more flexibility in talking head style videos. Don't have a preference yet, other than it has to have XLR connection.

The only issue with XLR when it comes to budget is you also have to factor in the cost of power and mixers which can quickly raise the price of a mic.

Audio Technica ATR2100 is a duel XLR and USB mic. So if you can't afford the phantom power and mixer that XLR usually requires, you can use the USB whil you save for XLR equipment.

Oh, and the simple answer is once you can afford a GOOD microphone, invest in one, because it will make a world of differance to your content.

PhatBeetz

Recognized Member
Subscriber Goal
Your channel is growing man! Your video content is pretty nice, and adding quality sound will only make it better!

I invested in a Yeti X for my channel, and you can definitely notice the jump in my commentary. Follow the advice of the responses from these guys who know far, far more than me!

The reason I got the Yeti is because it was a highly recommended brand and has versatility in its sound configs for recording different types of activities like streaming, interviews, and podcasts. I'm interested in expanding into all of those someday.

I'm currently learning how to improve sound quality by editing in Resolve via Fairlight, but I'm interested in checking out Audacity as well.

Keep going!

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
If you can invest a little more money, I'd suggest getting a Rode NT-USB because it's sound is amazing, but I can also vouch for the Audio Technica ATR2100 USB. It's $100 Australian, the sound isn't as good, but not bad, and combine it with a mic arm and it will more or less keep out of your way while gaming. Rode NT-USB and even the blue yetis can be a bit big.

It also depends if you want to go with the "cool" factor, because I know style can play a big factor (unfortunatly)

I'd listen to a lot of audio reviews on YouTube. Find a bunch of mics in your budget, hop onto youtube BEFORE you make your decision, and give a listen to all the reviews that show examples of each mic, then make a decision based on which ones you like the most. The Audio Technica, and also the samson q2u have pretty decent sound for a $100-120 budget that won't annoy you by being in the way all the time. But they won't sound "as good" as the Rode NT-USB

and personally i find the NT-USB sounds a lot better than most of the blue yeti's except maybe the black edition? the pro edition? either way that mic sounds even better, but also costs $100 more.

"Podcastage" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvOU-zTlankT-JjN3ZzvuKA has some amazing examples of a wide range of mics you can look at.
If it's for streaming, a USB mic is good and the Rode NT-USB is a solid option! For a camera, you can start with a shotgun mic. The Rode VideoMic Go or Rode Micro are good starter options too.

I agree with Andrew. Spend a little more on a trusted brand and you don't have to worry about upgrading in the short term. I bought a Rode Videomic Pro 6 years ago for run and gun event work and I'm still using it. ;)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
If it's for streaming, a USB mic is good and the Rode NT-USB is a solid option! For a camera, you can start with a shotgun mic. The Rode VideoMic Go or Rode Micro are good starter options too.

I agree with Andrew. Spend a little more on a trusted brand and you don't have to worry about upgrading in the short term. I bought a Rode Videomic Pro 6 years ago for run and gun event work and I'm still using it. ;)

Dang that's some great ROI! :D

The only issue with XLR when it comes to budget is you also have to factor in the cost of power and mixers which can quickly raise the price of a mic.

Audio Technica ATR2100 is a duel XLR and USB mic. So if you can't afford the phantom power and mixer that XLR usually requires, you can use the USB whil you save for XLR equipment.

Oh, and the simple answer is once you can afford a GOOD microphone, invest in one, because it will make a world of differance to your content.

This is some of the best advice here :D

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Tygze

TubeBuddy User
I honestly don't recommend a blue yeti. It's a good beginner microphone but people see it as just that. A beginner microphone. I recommend the audio technica ATR2500.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
My advice would be to upgrade the audio when possible. As Andrew said audio is half the battle and people are more likely to forgive a bad looking video than they are a bad sounding one in my experience.