• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice How To Growing Subscriber Numbers Using Limited Social Media?

Statecraft Observer

TubeBuddy Pro
statecraftobserver.com
Subscriber Goal
Due to a promise I made my wife, I cannot promote my YouTube Channel to my family and friends via Facebook (Politics related channel . . . go figure, right?). :)

Anyway, I'm trying my best to advertise/promote via a FB page I created specifically for my political channel along with a Twitter and Instagram accounts - but it seems slow going (40 Subscribers as of writing this).

I'm focusing on making the best quality content I can make, using TubeBuddy for SEO and keywords for video titles as best I can for politics (can't use many buzzwords really) but I see people who have accounts with thousands of subscribers and only 3 videos from 2 months ago. HOW?

Do I bite the bullet and pay $50 bucks for a FB ad and see if that helps? Are there other things I can try?

Just so you know, I'm committed to producing content on my channel for the next two years regardless of subscriber count/views. Yes, my goal is to monetize and turn this into a job and I know it will take at least that long to really get a good base going, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something or NOT doing something I should be doing is really what I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time, support and suggestions!

- Brandon Keller

Reactions: Infobandhu

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm focusing on making the best quality content I can make, using TubeBuddy for SEO and keywords for video titles as best I can for politics (can't use many buzzwords really) but I see people who have accounts with thousands of subscribers and only 3 videos from 2 months ago. HOW?

Depends the topic! Politics change everyday, and it's VERY Competitive! What are you most passionate about? What about your audience? What are you trying to teach/ do with your content? That matters more than ads, etc. :)

White Bread

TubeBuddy Pro
Hi Brandon!
I clicked on this thread because of a similar difficulty. Although, I do have social media accounts and use them to the max (it seems) to promote the content that my husband and I make together (it is not political, however), I noticed there is a limited gain that one can get out of advertising on the social platforms for free.
I have not yet went the route of paying for adverts on FB for example. (if you decide to do that, please update us on how that went for you :)

I visited your channel and it looks like you put a lot of time and thought into making your videos. Good job! I also, heard that political channels can be pretty tough to get started. Andrew is 100% correct about high competition. I also heard that political channels (may) suffer from shadow-banning more than other channels regardless of their political stance. I wonder if something like that really happens...

Have you tried other avenues, like having a Quora account and writing articles about related topics there (for instance)? That way, if your article, gains attention people will find your youtube channel through your profile. Sometimes it is the strangers that appreciate your input more than your friends, since your friends are just used to you. It is just a thought.. my husband has had great success on Quora, and I know we gained quite a bit of followers on our other instagram account from there.

I wish you luck and, please, update us on your progress!

Tara

OP
OP
Statecraft Observer

Statecraft Observer

TubeBuddy Pro
statecraftobserver.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Brandon!
I clicked on this thread because of a similar difficulty. Although, I do have social media accounts and use them to the max (it seems) to promote the content that my husband and I make together (it is not political, however), I noticed there is a limited gain that one can get out of advertising on the social platforms for free.
I have not yet went the route of paying for adverts on FB for example. (if you decide to do that, please update us on how that went for you :)

I visited your channel and it looks like you put a lot of time and thought into making your videos. Good job! I also, heard that political channels can be pretty tough to get started. Andrew is 100% correct about high competition. I also heard that political channels (may) suffer from shadow-banning more than other channels regardless of their political stance. I wonder if something like that really happens...

Have you tried other avenues, like having a Quora account and writing articles about related topics there (for instance)? That way, if your article, gains attention people will find your youtube channel through your profile. Sometimes it is the strangers that appreciate your input more than your friends, since your friends are just used to you. It is just a thought.. my husband has had great success on Quora, and I know we gained quite a bit of followers on our other instagram account from there.

Tara
Thank you for the thoughtful response and Quora suggestion! I may do that. I know that's how Jordan Peterson started out gaining fame outside of his classes before he went viral with that video. :)

OP
OP
Statecraft Observer

Statecraft Observer

TubeBuddy Pro
statecraftobserver.com
Subscriber Goal
Depends the topic! Politics change everyday, and it's VERY Competitive! What are you most passionate about? What about your audience? What are you trying to teach/ do with your content? That matters more than ads, etc. :)
True and I try to keep up, but can only produce a show once a week. Will continue doing what I'm doing then and focus on good content/production quality.

Reactions: PhatBeetz

White Bread

TubeBuddy Pro
Thank you for the thoughtful response and Quora suggestion! I may do that. I know that's how Jordan Peterson started out gaining fame outside of his classes before he went viral with that video. :)
Ah, yes :) Jordan Peterson did use Quora, you are right! I think he also mentioned reddit. I read it could also be a good source...however, I have 0 experience with reddit. I think, I might try that also.

Reactions: Statecraft Observer
OP
OP
Statecraft Observer

Statecraft Observer

TubeBuddy Pro
statecraftobserver.com
Subscriber Goal
Ah, yes :) Jordan Peterson did use Quora, you are right! I think he also mentioned reddit. I read it could also be a good source...however, I have 0 experience with reddit. I think, I might try that also.
I tried Reddit but MAN ARE THEY SNOBS ON THERE! Plus, the are NOT very "conservative friendly".

Pretty much when you sign up for Reddit it shows your sign up date and essentially you cannot link anything for 3 months - at least for anything related to politics. And then it's ONLY links to sources THEY approve of. Ummm, hello - 1st Amendment anyone?? But yeah, I actually commented on something and got the response something to the effect of "come back and talk to us when you are older than 3 months".

DO NOT GO TO REDDIT FOR POLITICS!

Might be okay for gaming, music, entertainment, etc. but unless you are a hard core left leaning Bernie Bro - don't waste your time.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I use social media to promote... and I see very little in return for that. Maybe 5% increase in views. The real value in social media is being able to talk to your audience so they can get to know you. IMHO the best means of getting your content out there is by utilizing YouTube's SDS. Capitalizing on their Search functions vastly outweight anything I have received from all other external sources combined!

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I tried Reddit but MAN ARE THEY SNOBS ON THERE! Plus, the are NOT very "conservative friendly".

Pretty much when you sign up for Reddit it shows your sign up date and essentially you cannot link anything for 3 months - at least for anything related to politics. And then it's ONLY links to sources THEY approve of. Ummm, hello - 1st Amendment anyone?? But yeah, I actually commented on something and got the response something to the effect of "come back and talk to us when you are older than 3 months".

Might be okay for gaming, music, entertainment, etc. but unless you are a hard core left leaning Bernie Bro - don't waste your time.

I have the same feelings on REDDIT but I will say the first amendment doesn't apply to private business, sites etc.

AussieBangerz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi Brandon!

Tara
I just checked out your channel...!
Awesome.. Trippy and a great sound..
Sub'd!

OP
OP
Statecraft Observer

Statecraft Observer

TubeBuddy Pro
statecraftobserver.com
Subscriber Goal
I use social media to promote... and I see very little in return for that. Maybe 5% increase in views. The real value in social media is being able to talk to your audience so they can get to know you. IMHO the best means of getting your content out there is by utilizing YouTube's SDS. Capitalizing on their Search functions vastly outweight anything I have received from all other external sources combined!
What do you mean "YouTube SDS"?

Reactions: AurigaDave

White Bread

TubeBuddy Pro

Hahaha..It is interesting that you say they are snobs! I heard about that a lot!
I do have an account there, but there are so many rules that aren't quite clear to me...plus, like you said, they don't allow to post until you build up your "karma"..hmmm...I mean, I think, I understand what they are trying to do but I don't think it is working out for everybody too well.

I also heard/read that reddit can either really help you out with your views and subscribers (however, like you said, politics is a controversial subject for many), but only if they approve and like the content...or else, they will organize and leave a bunch of dislikes and unpleasantries in the comment section on the YT channel..
You are right, reddit might not be worth, especially for someone with a channel like yours.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Everybody calls it 'the algorithm' but that is a bit of a misnomer. It isn't one algorithm... it's several all working on different aspects of videos. This collection of algorithms is collectively referred to by YouTube as 'SDS,' short for Search and Discovery.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Everybody calls it 'the algorithm' but that is a bit of a misnomer. It isn't one algorithm... it's several all working on different aspects of videos. This collection of algorithms is collectively referred to by YouTube as 'SDS,' short for Search and Discovery.

Correct! There is the search and discovery, suggested, browse, recommended, etc. The only thing YOU can control is the content YOU think of for your ideal audience, and craft that content around their needs.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
You are very right but being a small youtuber even if they like your contents , most will not susbcribe because your numbers are not many.

That's a sad "but" to base your channel on. If they like your content and are watching it that is the most important metric in YouTube. Forget the subscriptions. Make the content they want. Who cares what most people won't do. You should be doing this for most people because you can't help most people.

The real question becomes: Why are you doing this? If it's strictly for the subscribers, they steer clear of subscribing because they know you're just in it for your own pursuits.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB