• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Thumbnail with Face or not?

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Hi tubebudy friends,

I have been trying to experiment thumbnails without my face versus those with a shocked, funny, weird, face on them. But being a small channel I'm still having trouble figuring out which way works best for my channel. Any thoughts?

Step by Step Guide to Timelapses.jpg
Fifine K037B Review.jpg

S&Q Settings on Sony.jpg

Clear Image Zoom on Sony.jpg

Reactions: PhatBeetz

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
To be honest, your first and last thumbnail options there grab my attention the most. I don't usually care about faces in thumbnails personally, but others might. Do you have enough data on the differant styles of thumbs and what kind of CTR you're getting on them to establish the data of what the audience prefer?

Reactions: PartyOf4PR
OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
To be honest, your first and last thumbnail options there grab my attention the most. I don't usually care about faces in thumbnails personally, but others might. Do you have enough data on the differant styles of thumbs and what kind of CTR you're getting on them to establish the data of what the audience prefer?
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have enough data on the different thumbs yet unfortunately. I have heard that some people like faces and others don't so just trying to get a sense of what people think.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have enough data on the different thumbs yet unfortunately. I have heard that some people like faces and others don't so just trying to get a sense of what people think.

On average people tend to connect with humans more! HOWEVER, it's different per audience. For example at TubeBuddy when we didn't have a human in the thumbnails it felt artificial, and not relate-able, add me in and more relatable. For tech/ film-making a bit of both is key. I find show casing the product can work, but it all depends how well the shot is. I'd keep testing and see which your audience and new viewers are reacting to the most! Similar to what Beanie said.

OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
On average people tend to connect with humans more! HOWEVER, it's different per audience. For example at TubeBuddy when we didn't have a human in the thumbnails it felt artificial, and not relate-able, add me in and more relatable. For tech/ film-making a bit of both is key. I find show casing the product can work, but it all depends how well the shot is. I'd keep testing and see which your audience and new viewers are reacting to the most! Similar to what Beanie said.
Thanks for the feedback Andrew! That is what I'm seeing across the board for tech and filmmaking: a balance of epic product shots and some personality in faces.
I'll work on that and test!

EV Nick

TubeBuddy Pro
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The 2 thumbnails you have your face in are not great thumbnails for being eye catching the other 2 thumbnails you worked harder on, maybe add your face over them images and see what you think? I try and spend more time with thumbnails now make sure its the BEST i can make. Ensure the background image behind my face reflects the video or i interact with the object in the behind image.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
The 2 thumbnails you have your face in are not great thumbnails for being eye catching the other 2 thumbnails you worked harder on, maybe add your face over them images and see what you think? I try and spend more time with thumbnails now make sure its the BEST i can make. Ensure the background image behind my face reflects the video or i interact with the object in the behind image.

I think this is a fair bit of feedback, I felt the face ones didn't have as much planning as the others. Doesn't mean that's true, but it is how it looks to me.

Reactions: EV Nick
OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the feedback! Yes sometimes when I'm done filming a video I forget to take a good quality still for the thumbnail. Need to work the thumbnail into the overall work flow.

OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I think this is a fair bit of feedback, I felt the face ones didn't have as much planning as the others. Doesn't mean that's true, but it is how it looks to me.
Yes I definitely need to spend more time on planning the thumbnails too.

Reactions: TubeBuddy

techseshbysesh

TubeBuddy User
hey,
IMO If you're promoting your brand, then your face is the strongest identity. That's what people will remember over anything else. putting your face in thumbnails would mean people will know it's your content so will result in higher CTR.
I myself haven't got around to do that but it will be added bonus.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
IMO If you're promoting your brand, then your face is the strongest identity.
True, but I do like some of the other thumbnails w/o your face on it. If you want to keep those thumbnails (w/o faces), I'd recommend creating a logo and/or border that'll tell people that it is a video from your channel.

Also, for the thumbnails with your in it, I notice the white spots above your hair. I used to have an issue with that as well (I would wear a hat to alleviate that problem actually lol). Down below is a tutorial on how to get the fine detail of hair, but leave out the background.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4gRSHwvWmA

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
hey,
IMO If you're promoting your brand, then your face is the strongest identity. That's what people will remember over anything else. putting your face in thumbnails would mean people will know it's your content so will result in higher CTR.
I myself haven't got around to do that but it will be added bonus.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah that's what I thought about as well. I think I'll have to test it more and see what works best for my channel. :)

OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
True, but I do like some of the other thumbnails w/o your face on it. If you want to keep those thumbnails (w/o faces), I'd recommend creating a logo and/or border that'll tell people that it is a video from your channel.

Also, for the thumbnails with your in it, I notice the white spots above your hair. I used to have an issue with that as well (I would wear a hat to alleviate that problem actually lol). Down below is a tutorial on how to get the fine detail of hair, but leave out the background.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4gRSHwvWmA
The idea about the border for the thumbnails without faces is brilliant! And thanks for that tutorial! It'll come in very handy!

Nuvo Vlogs

Subscriber Goal
Hi tubebudy friends,

I have been trying to experiment thumbnails without my face versus those with a shocked, funny, weird, face on them. But being a small channel I'm still having trouble figuring out which way works best for my channel. Any thoughts?

View attachment 4328
View attachment 4330

View attachment 4331

View attachment 4332

I've always heard that thumbnails with faces get more clicks but I'm trying to figure this one out too, it seems different for so many people so I am also a bit confused.
Thumbnail 1,2,&3 definitely got my attention tho. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I've always heard that thumbnails with faces get more clicks but I'm trying to figure this one out too, it seems different for so many people so I am also a bit confused.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah trying to figure out what works best. Good luck to you as well!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

On average they get more compared to those without them. This does depend the audience. If you're a smaller channel with not that large of a following, products, or what you're talking about might do better. Once you hit a level your face is SO powerful in branding. That level is dependent on your audience. HOWEVER, in GENERAL thumbnails with faces tend to do better.

Reactions: Mario So

ItsJustEmily13

What if you did a thumbnail where one half didnΓÇÖt show your face and the other did?