• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Life How do you stay positive?

Shelena Shares

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
How do you stay positive when you see almost no growth on your channel although you are learning and searching every day? I feel as if I need to hire someone to show and change my channel.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I was lucky. I made my channel really to share my new life in the Philippines with my family back in the US. I did not consider myself a 'youtuber'. One day (in 2016) YT sent me an email asking if I wanted to monetize, so I did. I never really felt the early parts of the growing pains because I did not really think about my channel, just making vids for family & friends.

I have been trying to grow my channel over the last 2 years, and it is painfully slow. My attitude of making the vids for myself is still with me and is helping me keep a good attitude, I think.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It's not easy. If you were to check my channel (not trying to promote myself) you'll notice the long gaps between every few months of uploading. I would often get discouraged because I felt I could not figure out how YT works and not get any attention. Even today, after reaching 89 videos, 129 subs and over 40,000 views (95% from a single video) my channel doesn't show any real growth, I rarely get a comment or a like. But I know starting a channel is not easy, especially in my particular niche (gaming) and on top of that I don't have the ability to create content on a consistent basis due to a huge amount of distractions around me.

However, I keep trying. I keep learning. I keep applying new ideas, new tricks and new strategies. I watch other channels and interact as much as I can, I follow on social media and do the same. Some people get lucky and are able to grow quickly for whatever reason, others either never grow or take longer. In the end, you have to keep trying if you really want it and you have to be flexible, willing to go outside of your norm to find what works.

My advice, as a person who is still learning the ropes, make sure you are creating content you like, that makes you happy. Do it for yourself first. Once you feel you have what you want (intros, outros, logos, avatars, everything you feel you need in your videos and channel), start focusing on getting noticed. Learn about SEO, proper thumbnails for your videos, tags, keywords, etc and experiment to see what works. Take your time and test what you have learned, see what gets peoples attention and what doesn't and adjust your style accordingly. And above all else, you need to accept that there is no foolproof plan that will make anyone a YT superstar overnight or even in the long run. Just do your best to reach your goals and try to have fun doing it because that is what really matters. That's what's most important.

Reactions: Shelena Shares

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I stay positive remembering who I am creating content for. At first it was me, but when it was just ME watching, I had to change my mind on who I wanted to create content for. It wasn't just me I wanted to reach with my content. Finding who I wanted to reach was hard, but I wanted to help creators create better content that could help them get out of their situations, or make a living off of their creative vision. That helped me find work in YouTube networks, which later lead to TubeBuddy, and that vision helped me create the forums we are using today. SO when it came time to keeping me going it was content creation, but also with who I wanted to entertain/help/enjoy with it. This lead me to my value proposition. Which is SUPER important.

Finding who I wanted to create content for is what keeps me going. I now use that almost as a filter to decide what content I will be creating next. If it doesn't fit my vision, maybe I don't make that content, or I make it for me. Again, when you decide who you're target audience is, A Lot changes. IT did for me, and it continues to help me create the best content I've ever done!

OP
OP
Shelena Shares

Shelena Shares

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I stay positive remembering who I am creating content for. At first it was me, but when it was just ME watching, I had to change my mind on who I wanted to create content for. It wasn't just me I wanted to reach with my content. Finding who I wanted to reach was hard, but I wanted to help creators create better content that could help them get out of their situations, or make a living off of their creative vision. That helped me find work in YouTube networks, which later lead to TubeBuddy, and that vision helped me create the forums we are using today. SO when it came time to keeping me going it was content creation, but also with who I wanted to entertain/help/enjoy with it. This lead me to my value proposition. Which is SUPER important.

Finding who I wanted to create content for is what keeps me going. I now use that almost as a filter to decide what content I will be creating next. If it doesn't fit my vision, maybe I don't make that content, or I make it for me. Again, when you decide who you're target audience is, A Lot changes. IT did for me, and it continues to help me create the best content I've ever done!
Thank you so much for your input!

It's not easy. If you were to check my channel (not trying to promote myself) you'll notice the long gaps between every few months of uploading. I would often get discouraged because I felt I could not figure out how YT works and not get any attention. Even today, after reaching 89 videos, 129 subs and over 40,000 views (95% from a single video) my channel doesn't show any real growth, I rarely get a comment or a like. But I know starting a channel is not easy, especially in my particular niche (gaming) and on top of that I don't have the ability to create content on a consistent basis due to a huge amount of distractions around me.

However, I keep trying. I keep learning. I keep applying new ideas, new tricks and new strategies. I watch other channels and interact as much as I can, I follow on social media and do the same. Some people get lucky and are able to grow quickly for whatever reason, others either never grow or take longer. In the end, you have to keep trying if you really want it and you have to be flexible, willing to go outside of your norm to find what works.

My advice, as a person who is still learning the ropes, make sure you are creating content you like, that makes you happy. Do it for yourself first. Once you feel you have what you want (intros, outros, logos, avatars, everything you feel you need in your videos and channel), start focusing on getting noticed. Learn about SEO, proper thumbnails for your videos, tags, keywords, etc and experiment to see what works. Take your time and test what you have learned, see what gets peoples attention and what doesn't and adjust your style accordingly. And above all else, you need to accept that there is no foolproof plan that will make anyone a YT superstar overnight or even in the long run. Just do your best to reach your goals and try to have fun doing it because that is what really matters. That's what's most important.
Thank you so much for sharing your journey and your advice!

I was lucky. I made my channel really to share my new life in the Philippines with my family back in the US. I did not consider myself a 'youtuber'. One day (in 2016) YT sent me an email asking if I wanted to monetize, so I did. I never really felt the early parts of the growing pains because I did not really think about my channel, just making vids for family & friends.

I have been trying to grow my channel over the last 2 years, and it is painfully slow. My attitude of making the vids for myself is still with me and is helping me keep a good attitude, I think.
Thank you so much for sharing your reasons. I started making my vids for myself and my friends. Deep breath and we keep moving forward.

• Love
Reactions: TubeBuddy

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
For me, I just accept that growth will be slow at the beginning. I have 3 other channels, 2 of which haven't started, and I know they're not going to get the views or subscribers that my main channel has. We all want our content to be seen, but if you go in with the mindset that this is your craft, these videos are for you to express yourself, and it doesn't matter how many people see it, the important part is you've got to share a part of yourself, in time more people will see that anyway.

I had a video perform pretty poorly a few months back which was really disappointing considering how long I spent working on it, but then I remembered the words of Brian G Johnson... "Success will come in your next video" and that's a nice mindset to have. The FUTURE. Not just the now. Your results now will be different to the future. Your videos will always be there, so focus on the next video, and eventually over time, the back catalog will worth for you.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Easy to stay motivated when this is your office:
Screenshot from JugginS2E1AJugFishingAdventure.mp4.png

Reactions: Ikerot and Ater

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
You need to remember that to most of us YouTube will be a marathon, not a sprint. If you do it because you enjoy it you will stay positive and growth will just be a bonus. If you are not having fun creating content don't do it!

Always try to improve and make your new video better than your last one. You only have 57 videos on your channel, that's nothing, imagine when you have 570 videos or 5700 videos how good they will be if you keep on improving trying to make each new video better than your previous one. Try to analyze what you do, what can you improve on? Answer questions like:
What are your strengths and weaknesses? Why would anyone who don't know you watch your videos? What do you bring to the table that they can't get somewhere else from someone who do it better than you? What are other people who are doing better than you inside your niche doing differently or better than you? What type of videos do they do that get a lot of views? What can you learn from them?

I took a look at your three most recent uploaded videos. Here are some feedback:

Earl's dog Diary
You say in the description that this video is for your son and his lady and the video is about their dog. There is nothing wrong with making personal videos, but is your goal to grow or is it to have a small channel for your friends and family? If your intent is growth then maybe you should make videos that interest more people than the two how are probably already subscribed to your channel?

The camera is pretty shaky sometimes, makes it hard for me to watch. I can actually feel a bit of motion sickness when it get to shaky.

Pretty often the dog is outside of the image completely or partially, makes me wounder what am I looking at? For an example look from 2:13 to 2:30.

If you want to make this video interesting to more than just your son and his wife maybe you should let us get to know the dog? Who is this dog? What breed? What is his story? Why is he interesting to us? Focus on either facts or get a bit more creative and make a story about the dog where we get to know him. This is something that could make people subscribe, if you manage to get them interested enough about the story of the dog that they get excited about part 2 and don't want to miss it when it's released.

Heat Exhaustion
In this video you have a emotional story that people can relate to, it have the potential to get a lot of views. But maybe you could improved on how the story is told with editing? Maybe the video could start with the first part of the talk you do inside the car "I decided to go for a walk down by the river..." but instead of showing you in the car do it as a voice over while showing your video of the river? Then it could cut back to you inside the car and continuing the talk?

Just like the dog diary the video is very shaky at some parts, even more so than the dog video. Also it gets a bit blurry sometimes Maybe you should get a camera stand? And also edit out parts that get blurry?

When you record inside the car there are a loud background noise that is very annoying to listen to and makes it harder to hear what you are saying. Could you have recorded the story somewhere else than inside the car? Maybe you could have moved the car a bit to where the background noise wasn't as loud?

Sunday Drive
This is a nice video, smooth and relaxing. But how are people supposed to find the video? The dog video could have people searching for dog videos, searching for the dogs breed, it could be promoted on dog forums, you could have a instagram account with dog photos promoting the video. The heat exhaustion video could be really optimized for people searching for heat exhaustion both on YouTube and Google. But how is a new person supposed to find your Sunday drive video? Just think about it, how many people do you believe Google "Sunday drive" each day compared to the amount of people who search for heat exhaustion?

If you find a way to promote it I believe there are a market for this type of videos, like a playlist with 100 nice and relaxing videos for when you want to chill.

A good video for you to watch
I belive that this video by Brian G Johnson have a lot of great advices on what to think about based on a successful YouTuber with a similar niche to yourself:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i8A5k0iMf0

Last edited:
Reactions: TakeEachDay

PredictedCyborg

I stay 'positive' because I know making videos and content creation is something I enjoy, and I'm in it more for the journey now than the numbers.
I've met so many great people, discovered I have a thing for networking, and have recently been invited to join in with a new multiplayer series of a sort I've wanted to do for YEARS.

And I 'started' doing videos about 6 years ago. Started 'properly' trying just less than 2 years ago.

102 subs. Just under 7k lifetime views.

The people, the experiences and the possibility of greater things to come is why I DO this. :D

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal
I sometimes feel the same and when growth is slow I try sharing more. When that doesnΓÇÖt work I switch up my content a bit.

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You need to remember that to most of us YouTube will be a marathon, not a sprint. If you do it because you enjoy it you will stay positive and growth will just be a bonus. If you are not having fun creating content don't do it!

Always try to improve and make your new video better than your last one. You only have 57 videos on your channel, that's nothing, imagine when you have 570 videos or 5700 videos how good they will be if you keep on improving trying to make each new video better than your previous one. Try to analyze what you do, what can you improve on? Answer questions like:
What are your strengths and weaknesses? Why would anyone who don't know you watch your videos? What do you bring to the table that they can't get somewhere else from someone who do it better than you? What are other people who are doing better than you inside your niche doing differently or better than you? What type of videos do they do that get a lot of views? What can you learn from them?

I took a look at your three most recent uploaded videos. Here are some feedback:

Earl's dog Diary
You say in the description that this video is for your son and his lady and the video is about their dog. There is nothing wrong with making personal videos, but is your goal to grow or is it to have a small channel for your friends and family? If your intent is growth then maybe you should make videos that interest more people than the two how are probably already subscribed to your channel?

The camera is pretty shaky sometimes, makes it hard for me to watch. I can actually feel a bit of motion sickness when it get to shaky.

Pretty often the dog is outside of the image completely or partially, makes me wounder what am I looking at? For an example look from 2:13 to 2:30.

If you want to make this video interesting to more than just your son and his wife maybe you should let us get to know the dog? Who is this dog? What breed? What is his story? Why is he interesting to us? Focus on either facts or get a bit more creative and make a story about the dog where we get to know him. This is something that could make people subscribe, if you manage to get them interested enough about the story of the dog that they get excited about part 2 and don't want to miss it when it's released.

Heat Exhaustion
In this video you have a emotional story that people can relate to, it have the potential to get a lot of views. But maybe you could improved on how the story is told with editing? Maybe the video could start with the first part of the talk you do inside the car "I decided to go for a walk down by the river..." but instead of showing you in the car do it as a voice over while showing your video of the river? Then it could cut back to you inside the car and continuing the talk?

Just like the dog diary the video is very shaky at some parts, even more so than the dog video. Also it gets a bit blurry sometimes Maybe you should get a camera stand? And also edit out parts that get blurry?

When you record inside the car there are a loud background noise that is very annoying to listen to and makes it harder to hear what you are saying. Could you have recorded the story somewhere else than inside the car? Maybe you could have moved the car a bit to where the background noise wasn't as loud?

Sunday Drive
This is a nice video, smooth and relaxing. But how are people supposed to find the video? The dog video could have people searching for dog videos, searching for the dogs breed, it could be promoted on dog forums, you could have a instagram account with dog photos promoting the video. The heat exhaustion video could be really optimized for people searching for heat exhaustion both on YouTube and Google. But how is a new person supposed to find your Sunday drive video? Just think about it, how many people do you believe Google "Sunday drive" each day compared to the amount of people who search for heat exhaustion?

If you find a way to promote it I believe there are a market for this type of videos, like a playlist with 100 nice and relaxing videos for when you want to chill.

A good video for you to watch
I belive that this video by Brian G Johnson have a lot of great advices on what to think about based on a successful YouTuber with a similar niche to yourself:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i8A5k0iMf0
Great advice

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
For me my channel has not been about getting views but it is nice when it happens. I did get a little caught up with that but I have now gone back to what I really want and that is what is life like with a child with high functioning autism. We are showcasing that autism doesnΓÇÖt stop you having adventures. This is where TB has been invaluable. There are many years of experience here and the advice given has made the world of difference giving me tips and ideas on improvements. I do get moments where I think itΓÇÖs all just too hard but making this content is therapy for my son and he doesnΓÇÖt even know it. There is nothing wrong with sharing your passion but if you want subscribers then it has to be stuff that interests them and keeps them watching. ItΓÇÖs ok to have breaks. I have around 10 videos that are private so when I need a rest I will post those. Good luck. Slow and steady wins the race. Lastly itΓÇÖs ok to feel disheartened but just keep going and your niche will develop as you move through on you channel.

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
For me, I always focus on the good things and never talk about negativity online.

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
How do you stay positive when you see almost no growth on your channel although you are learning and searching every day? I feel as if I need to hire someone to show and change my channel.
Honestly, you just need to enjoy the content that you create and try to engage with people watching it, even by creating a video specifically for one person you will find that lots of other people will be interested in it because they see that you are genuinely interested in connecting with people who watch your content and they will connect with you toHonestly, you just need to enjoy the content that you create and try to engage with people watching it, even by creating a video specifically for one person you will find that lots of other people will be interested in it because they see that you are genuinely interested in connecting with people who watch your content and they will connect with you too

Reactions: nate polmateer

HenryBR

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
The reason for starting and maintaining your channel and its content should not be whether people view content videos or not. Do it for the right reasons. For yourself. However, if you're really wanting to attract an audience, I suggest that you stick it out unless there are valid reasons to change the direction of your channel. Never quit because it's hard. Quit because it's the best option in order to begin a new and effective strategy.

Reactions: Damon

GoHa

Subscriber Goal
Ich habe soeben solcher "Stillstand". Die Ursache liegt aber - so glaube ich - an Corona Pandemie. Trotzdem versuche ich mein Kanal schöner machen, überlege ich welche Themen interessant / gesucht wären. So zu sagen mache ich eine Überlegungs-Pause.