• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Anyone using OBS for their YT videos?

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
Is anyone here using OBS to create their YB videos? In particular OBS with PowerPoint?

I'm having issues with my OBS settings and have brought it up in their community, but because OBS is mainly used for gamers and not for business, no one there is able to help. I'm hoping some of you create YB videos with OBS and PPT?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Is anyone here using OBS to create their YB videos? In particular OBS with PowerPoint?

I'm having issues with my OBS settings and have brought it up in their community, but because OBS is mainly used for gamers and not for business, no one there is able to help. I'm hoping some of you create YB videos with OBS and PPT?

I use OBS, but when it comes to PP I use Camtasia it has an ability to include it in PowerPoint, but camtasia is not free :/.

OP
OP
Core Freedom

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
Hey Andrew, thanks for your response. I have Camtasia too and that's where I do my post production. What I'm trying to do now is record using OBS but I can't even get the speed right. When I move in front of the camera, it seems like there is a tiny bit of a lag on the screen, which must be due to a setting in OBS. I've tried adjusting the settings to their recommended high-quality settings but that doesn't work. And OBS installed "as is" doesn't work either. The slight delay just won't go away. I tried installing it on a brand new laptop and it's doing the same there. So I'm pretty sure it's OBS related.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey Andrew, thanks for your response. I have Camtasia too and that's where I do my post production. What I'm trying to do now is record using OBS but I can't even get the speed right. When I move in front of the camera, it seems like there is a tiny bit of a lag on the screen, which must be due to a setting in OBS. I've tried adjusting the settings to their recommended high-quality settings but that doesn't work. And OBS installed "as is" doesn't work either. The slight delay just won't go away. I tried installing it on a brand new laptop and it's doing the same there. So I'm pretty sure it's OBS related.

Camtasia offers screen recording, why not use that? Is there a specific reason you are trying to use that over the other? :)

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal

What is the transfer rate on your camera's input? To me it sounds like you have a problem of a slow camera, not a software issue.

OP
OP
Core Freedom

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
Yeah, that's how I've been doing it but Camtasia's green screen removal feature sucks. I sometimes do heavy PPT presentations and students complain that they can't see me. I can put myself in the bottom right hand corner with background and then it's fine, but OBS does does a much better job with the green screen removal and the final PPT looks great and a lot more professional. If I could just figure out how to get OBS working properly. The lag needs to be fixed but I can't figure out the right settings to do that.
--- Post updated ---
What is the transfer rate on your camera's input? To me it sounds like you have a problem of a slow camera, not a software issue.
I'm just using the Logitech c920. There is no setting for that camera as far as I can tell. And if I record directly through Logitech the speed and voice match up just fine. It's within OBS that something is funky.
--- Post updated ---
Okay, I thought it was me but apparently this is an OBS thing. Just saw the video here with Owen Hemsath on how to write YT descriptions and he's using OBS. He's saying to be patient as there is a lag and that he hasn't quite figured out OBS yet. If you watch closely, his mouth and his audio are out of sync. That's exactly my problem. The challenge is that in a live stream this may be acceptable since people may expect technical challenges, but when over a PowerPoint that should be pre-recorded and of outstanding quality, this lag is no longer acceptable.

If anyone can figure out the perfect setting for OBS, please share. I'll keep messing with my settings too and will post them here when I figure it out. :)

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
Could you please explain to me what you mean by using OBS with PPT? Do you mean recording a video and then putting it into the PPT presentation? If so, would you be able to record a video with a different camera and put that video into the PPT?

EDIT: I think I understand what you mean. You mean that you are recording a powerpoint presentation on screen with OBS, as well as yourself with OBS.

You are right that it would be an issue with OBS. I use only OBS to record screen and if I record my webcam, there is a delay most of the time. What usually works for me in making the webcam at least a bit let less laggy and higher quality is this:

Start recording, or do a preview (recording might be better so you don't have to stop the feed) and go into the properties in OBS for the webcam. click "configure" at the top. Adjust the brightness level or focus level or something (you may need to uncheck auto) and then okay and exit properties. If you want auto focus/brightness, go back and recheck auto. wait a sec and it should have a bit less lag. :)

Reactions: Core Freedom
OP
OP
Core Freedom

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
Yes, you got it about the lagging. I ended up buying Wirecast 7. I just couldn't fiddle with OBS anymore. Wirecast is about $500 with another $100 for yearly support and it's worth it. It's top notch as far as quality goes and tech support is great too.

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
Okay, well I'm glad things did work out for you in the end! I was kinda a bit late to the discussion, lol.
Personally, I will stick with OBS. I've used it for a long time, it works for me and TBH, I would not be able to afford Wirecast :expressionless: Anything that costs over $20 is kinda a no-go for me right now. Gotta go as cheap as possible!:p

Doug

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I use OBS for my recordings and from time to time I use slides - though I've opted for Google slides vs. ppt.

When I use slides they are a black grounds (I'm green screened in front of them) is an easy way to get things moving behind you on cue.

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I use OBS for my recordings and from time to time I use slides - though I've opted for Google slides vs. ppt.

When I use slides they are a black grounds (I'm green screened in front of them) is an easy way to get things moving behind you on cue.
I didn't know Google slides was a thing... I use PPT mainly for creating text graphics because WordArt is amazing for it.

Doug

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
It's worked out fairly well for me. I use it for all my "channel news" type stuff.

I dunno if posting links to vids is allowed here but....
Here's an example of a video (about a month old) where I used google slides to have things moving around behind me. (Just the stuff before the tutorial starts)

Update:
... You know what I'm gonna delete it.
I don't want to run afoul of the posting guidelines. If anyone wants to see it, send me a message. I'm happy to share / help.

Last edited:

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
It's worked out fairly well for me. I use it for all my "channel news" type stuff.

I dunno if posting links to vids is allowed here but....
Here's an example of a video (about a month old) where I used google slides to have things moving around behind me. (Just the stuff before the tutorial starts)

Personally, I would say it's alright because it is relevant to the discussion :)
That is actually really cool! It would basically be like giving a presentation and changing slides as you need to, but instead, it's a video, with you still on top. I like it! I may just use powerpoint to be honest, lol. Actually, my "office" PC doesn't have Microsoft...Office... on it, so Google slides may actually be a better solution :p

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I use bandicam and gameshow, bandicam can capture almost anything and would be easy to use in screen recording
Bandicam is a paid thing, right? I can't afford much, lol, so OBS is the best I'm gonna get :p
Bandicam is indeed paid and it's pretty good, but when it comes to webcam, I'd much prefer to use OBS lol. Bandicam has come to the point where you can see the webcam (it used to be webcam overlay and then hope that you're still in frame when you're recording), but it doesn't have the freedom like OBS where you can move it wherever you want rather than at specific points and having to go into the options for it. And you can monitor your gameplay on OBS.

I also do like that Bandicam put in HDMI now so you can record your webcam or anything HDMI, but OBS can record multiple (2+) audio unlike Bandicam where it's only two (I have two audio (excluding my mic) for games and communications like discord). Then again, I don't do gaming videos anymore so I really don't have the need for Bandicam xP Last time I used it was for a reaction video, hah. I do like that Bandicam can save your audio file separately.

Christonian

i use gameshow for ingame webcam etc, when I want to record a presentation or something business oriented I use bandicam as it has a greater freedom for recording pretty much anything with no hassles, it is perfect for my indie side where there are many different formats a game might come to me that fraps, camtasia, obs etc might give me issues with

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
Bandicam is indeed paid and it's pretty good, but when it comes to webcam, I'd much prefer to use OBS lol. Bandicam has come to the point where you can see the webcam (it used to be webcam overlay and then hope that you're still in frame when you're recording), but it doesn't have the freedom like OBS where you can move it wherever you want rather than at specific points and having to go into the options for it. And you can monitor your gameplay on OBS.

I also do like that Bandicam put in HDMI now so you can record your webcam or anything HDMI, but OBS can record multiple (2+) audio unlike Bandicam where it's only two (I have two audio (excluding my mic) for games and communications like discord). Then again, I don't do gaming videos anymore so I really don't have the need for Bandicam xP Last time I used it was for a reaction video, hah. I do like that Bandicam can save your audio file separately.
Yeah, I'll continue to stick with OBS, at least until I can afford something else. Besides, I kinda like OBS. Maybe it's not the best, but it's free, it has many different features and plugins and you can be super creative with it. Plus all the sources can be overlaid in different order. Very easy to work with. I do wish audio could be saved separately though because currently, I have to Audacity to record my mic and OBS for game. Then I have to sync it...

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, I'll continue to stick with OBS, at least until I can afford something else. Besides, I kinda like OBS. Maybe it's not the best, but it's free, it has many different features and plugins and you can be super creative with it. Plus all the sources can be overlaid in different order. Very easy to work with. I do wish audio could be saved separately though because currently, I have to Audacity to record my mic and OBS for game. Then I have to sync it...
What I usually do for OBS and audacity/audition is that I use the beginning to record the mic in obs + the one in audacity/audition, then I turn off the mic in OBS. Easier to sync that way.

Reactions: DragoNate

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
What I usually do for OBS and audacity/audition is that I use the beginning to record the mic in obs + the one in audacity/audition, then I turn off the mic in OBS. Easier to sync that way.
Huh, I never thought of that before... Might have to start doing that, thanks! I usually just kinda picked a certain visual que for me to start talking and then sync it up that way. Obviously that won't be 100% perfect though XD