• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Don't expect many subscribers until you have THIS many videos (strategic opinion)

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So, I've been noticing quite a few new potentially cool channels, the only problem is they tend to only have 2 or 3 videos, and I don't tend to subscribe to many channels unless they have about 20 videos or so.

Roberto Blake often promotes the idea of "make 100 crappy videos" which ties into my theory that you shouldn't start expecting any real subscriber growth until you have at least 20+ videos under your belt.

20+ videos shows people you have commitment, commitment means you're likely to continue producing videos, meaning I probably MIGHT subscribe because there's the potential that you'll be releasing more videos (as long as they're not veriaty and reaction videos)

It took me 30 videos, and 3 months before I got my first 100 subscribers, and I don''t think I got my first 20 subscribers until I had at least 20 videos out. These things take tme.

So at the minimum, don't expect any growth, good SEO or not, until you have a gallery of videos worth subscribing to. even 10 videos isn't going to cut it with me, a month old channel might flake out and give up, so why should I subscribe? 10 videos that are all over the place? why would I think your next video will be what I'm interested in?

20 videos shows you have commitment, you have a clear idea of where you want your channel to go, and that shows a value of trust.

So work on 20 amazing videos FIRST. worry about the subscribers and views later, because until you have 20 videos, you really don't have anything yet. the game has only just started.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well said, growth comes from hard work and patience. Even overnight successes like Jennelle Eliana and Dad, How Do I? have to work hard not just to grow, which they did, but to maintain that growth so as to not being just a One Hit Wonder.

Musicpod

TubeBuddy Pro
Thanks for the advice. I have now 29 music videos but 570+ views so far. Started last April only. I'm hoping I could learn more strategies that I can utilize and of course by maximizing the potential of Tubebuddy. :)

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, for me the goal was always 1,000 videos. It took about 650 videos to get to the point were I had "amazing" videos. I'm still working on the craft. At 743 videos the goal of having 1,000 in effect has been reached because that backlog is driving the channel now. Now I can peel back and focus on making far more high quality, really documentary films about my fishing adventures.

Last edited:

TheHappyKidShow

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
These are good tips. I have a plan in place but never thought I would need to think so far in advance. I figured I wanted to give myself the opportunity to do video on a potential trend... but I think to have some filler content is a better strategy. Allowing me to do trend videos in the meantime.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So, I've been noticing quite a few new potentially cool channels, the only problem is they tend to only have 2 or 3 videos, and I don't tend to subscribe to many channels unless they have about 20 videos or so.

Roberto Blake often promotes the idea of "make 100 crappy videos" which ties into my theory that you shouldn't start expecting any real subscriber growth until you have at least 20+ videos under your belt.

20+ videos shows people you have commitment, commitment means you're likely to continue producing videos, meaning I probably MIGHT subscribe because there's the potential that you'll be releasing more videos (as long as they're not veriaty and reaction videos)

It took me 30 videos, and 3 months before I got my first 100 subscribers, and I don''t think I got my first 20 subscribers until I had at least 20 videos out. These things take tme.

So at the minimum, don't expect any growth, good SEO or not, until you have a gallery of videos worth subscribing to. even 10 videos isn't going to cut it with me, a month old channel might flake out and give up, so why should I subscribe? 10 videos that are all over the place? why would I think your next video will be what I'm interested in?

20 videos shows you have commitment, you have a clear idea of where you want your channel to go, and that shows a value of trust.

So work on 20 amazing videos FIRST. worry about the subscribers and views later, because until you have 20 videos, you really don't have anything yet. the game has only just started.
1 more video to upload then IΓÇÖm onto that 20 mark, but then it only just gets me past 20 videos, meaning more work to do, meaning more time to find to get my content made, meaning some hard yakka is coming up, but this is what I wanted so I now get to it!

A Scot Living Abroad

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have read many people say put out as many videos as you can and then work on improving as you go along.

I have 2 channels, very different results and that had nothing to do with amount of videos. I have one channel which is related to Japanese cars (I'm in Japan) which has 6 videos / 130 Subscribers / 4,513 views / 43 comments / 242 likes / 8 dislikes. My other channel is about walk about videos in Japan, this has 15 videos / 1007 views / 16 comments / 156 likes / 1 dislike

I find the difference between the 2 channels is that for the car channel, I am able to share in forums but I haven't been able to find good forums that allow YouTube links for the Japan walk about videos.

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I have read many people say put out as many videos as you can and then work on improving as you go along.

I have 2 channels, very different results and that had nothing to do with amount of videos. I have one channel which is related to Japanese cars (I'm in Japan) which has 6 videos / 130 Subscribers / 4,513 views / 43 comments / 242 likes / 8 dislikes. My other channel is about walk about videos in Japan, this has 15 videos / 1007 views / 16 comments / 156 likes / 1 dislike

I find the difference between the 2 channels is that for the car channel, I am able to share in forums but I haven't been able to find good forums that allow YouTube links for the Japan walk about videos.
The main point I was mostly getting at is people just need to focus on making the content :) interestingly enough I think it took me about 30 videos before I got my first 100 subs, but then it wasn't many videos after that where I had 1000 subscribers (I really need to go through my history and chronical is all)

It's definitely not a hard fast rule (hence pointing it out was an opinion... with a kinda clickbait title :p ) that van girl got MILLIONS of subscribers with only 3 videos. My post was mostly focused at those who only have 3 or so videos and then complain about not getting subscribers, when we should be focusing on making content for people to watch, so they have more than one or two videos to binge watch.

Jokoman93

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You are very right! If we think about it like this... Youtube receives millions of uploads daily and if you have one video uploaded within those millions your chances are very low to be seen. Increase your video quantity, then you increase your chances. However, we must also take into account the quality of those videos and audience retention which also play a big factor in the success of your videos and channel growth

Reactions: Dmi3Bals

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yes!!! I absolutely agree with this. You need to bury your head in the sand and ignore almost everything until you reach a solid 20+ videos. Most analytics wont even matter to that point either, and everything @Beanie says is dead on.

Reactions: Simple_Words_Sonal

Macie

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Great advice, will keep working at it Consistency is key this is very helpful, I expected to go viral after one video but I know it takes time, patience and putting out great content! Thank you for this

Roopali Bajaj

TubeBuddy Pro
Nice advice. As my channel already passed 20 videos bar. I am continuously watching my subscribers and trying to achieve a milestone which is 1800 subs. Right now I am on 1775 subs.

But I am seeing one day 2-3 subs increase and on the other hand 2-3 unsubs. I am regular in posting videos. I am using community. I am trying to fulfill SEO of videos. Even I am using social media platforms. But, I am unable to get subscribers and good views.

Do you have any tip for my channel?

Reactions: Simple_Words_Sonal

zanderlex

TubeBuddy User
This is something that I was doing as a viewer, and I wasn't even thinking about it really.

As a Youtuber though, it didn't really work for me. Before I started fro scratch, I think I had around 50 videos and was only getting like 2-3 subs a month.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
This is something that I was doing as a viewer, and I wasn't even thinking about it really.

As a Youtuber though, it didn't really work for me. Before I started fro scratch, I think I had around 50 videos and was only getting like 2-3 subs a month.

That's why I say you need more like 150 videos.