• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

The Orville vs. Star Trek Discovery

which Show is the better

• Discovery

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Orville

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are both quite bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Well, I'll just risk breaking the forum and having a civil war here but it's just on my mind.

The Orville or Star Trek Discovery which one is better?

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
They are so different I really can't say one is better than the other. They have to stand or fall on their own. There are things I like and dislike about each, but they have little similarity. I see a lot of people online comparing them but to me it is very much an apples to oranges situation.

My main problem with Oriville is it needs to decide if it is a comedy or sci-fi. It seems to be neither, yet trying to be both. When I watch Orville... it makes me miss Quark. I have to wait for it to get uploaded to YouTube so I will probably not bother watching many more. I am a huge MacFarlane fan but not thrilled with Orville yet.

Discovery looks like it is going to be too war-centric for me. That was why I never warmed up to Enterprise, and quit watching DS9. They just were not enjoyable to me. Discovery is done very well, but we are only 4 episodes in. I will have to see if it holds my interest. Being on Netflix makes it easy to watch, though. But I do enjoy that they killed a couple of what we assumed would be main characters. Keeps you on your toes.

Reactions: kunicross

xingcat

Experienced Poster
TubeBuddy Star
www.xingcat.com
Subscriber Goal
I think the Orville is much better than I expected it to be (I think Seth McFarlane can tend to veer towards dud territory far too often, especially when he puts himself in a starring role), but I do think it's coasting on the fact that it's basically a 90s Star Trek reboot show without being Star Trek. I also think it's resting a bit on the fact that Discovery is behind a pay wall at this time. It's still quite good, and I think it deserves a second season, just to see where it'll go and to see if it can move beyond the Star Trek impersonation it's doing and start generating its own lore.

I think Discovery is an interesting direction for Star Trek to go into, but with "interesting," they have risked a lot, including the ire of fans who tend to want everything to be their own version of "canon." I'm not sure sticking it in CBS All Access was a sound decision. If they wanted to put it anywhere, since it's being paid in part by Netflix, I think Netflix would have been a safer bet, but I'm not a TV executive, so what do I know? In terms of acting, Discovery is far and away over Orville, but that's because again McFarlane is an engaging person, but not a very strong lead in terms of acting.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I would not pay for another subscription service to watch Discovery. Glad it is on Netflix here in the Philippines. Our Netflix has a horribly lame selection, but at least we get Discovery.

OP
OP
kunicross

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I think McFarland is actually better than critics make him look for example I was really surprised that a million ways to die in the west was actually quite fun after all the negative comments I read about it.
Last time I checked the orville had about 20% critic rating on metacritic but about 8/10 fan rating... Really strange.

I think discovery is actually in itself (so far a quite good show) just its placement in the statrek timeline is horrible and not accepted by the fans and don't event talk about the klingon redesign - the sad thing is that their whole story and concept would have fit about perfectly right after DS9/Voyager.
I think the only real way to get discovery into the real trek Fans heart would be if they reveal that the whole thing is set in a evil mirror universe... As they do is just no way to handle a established and very developed story universe.
Also some Charaktere decisions on Discovery are plainly stupid written like that security chief not even checking if sedation works at all - and that beast had killed her almost once before - also the mutiny attempt of Michael was quite bad - had she just taken over weapon controls and fired a torpedo that would have been much better and also fit better seeing her responsible for the war.

The Orville on the other hand is certainly not a perfect show but for one it captures the spirit of tng about perfect and also there have not been really many more comedic space sifi series around (Lexx maybe?) what I really like is that they did not include teleportes because those are used way too often as a deus ex machina device in Trek storytelling.

But the rythm of the show is a bit to quick pace for me (did anyone notice that on the lady GoT season as well?) sometimes events are relay rushed along to avoid two part episodes or whatever even the dialogs go faster and people run.

Also they seem to take the risk and discuss current day matters and also do non happy endings sometimes (hard to tell with just a couple of episodes.)

Yea and I think it's totally possible and valid to like both shows. (I do)