• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thinking of getting a camera... what do you think?

rulefuzz

hi there,

it's a long shot since i'm not sure how many people plays an instrument here,
but do you by chance have any recommendation on camera choices?

this is vague but if you were to find a camera that records video with a good depth effect, a flip screen, and auto tracks movement well... what would you recommend / choose?

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
hi there,

it's a long shot since i'm not sure how many people plays an instrument here,
but do you by chance have any recommendation on camera choices?

this is vague but if you were to find a camera that records video with a good depth effect, a flip screen, and auto tracks movement well... what would you recommend / choose?

I play guitar and have *attempted* playing drums.

If you want a flip screen and good auto-focus your best bet is something like a Canon 80D with a wide aperture lens.

OP
OP
rulefuzz

rulefuzz

I play guitar and have *attempted* playing drums.

If you want a flip screen and good auto-focus your best bet is something like a Canon 80D with a wide aperture lens.

thanks for your advice :eek:
but my budget was actually ~500usd... (sorry, should have stated earlier)
Canon 80D is out of my budget at the moment >:

i'm kind of lucky that there is a white wall at home...
but even when i tried to film things in broad daylight, there are still noise in the visual >:

Last edited:

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
thanks for your advice :eek:
but my budget was actually ~500usd... (sorry, should have stated earlier)
Canon 80D is out of my budget at the moment >:

i'm kind of lucky that there is a white wall at home...
but even when i tried to film things in broad daylight, there are still noise in the visual >:

Your current camera looks good so I don't know why your searching for a new one...

Pure honesty though you won't find a camera at a $500 budget that has everything your asking for. Your looking at about $800 minimum before you find a camera body with just decent video auto-focus tracking.. that doesn't include finding a nice flip screen and for good depth you'll want a full frame sensor and that is gonna run $3,500+ to get that and it wont have a flip screen.

Reactions: rulefuzz
OP
OP
rulefuzz

rulefuzz

Your current camera looks good so I don't know why your searching for a new one...

Pure honesty though you won't find a camera at a $500 budget that has everything your asking for. Your looking at about $800 minimum before you find a camera body with just decent video auto-focus tracking.. that doesn't include finding a nice flip screen and for good depth you'll want a full frame sensor and that is gonna run $3,500+ to get that and it wont have a flip screen.

my current camera is actually my iphone 6s front camera lol... :x
if it's $800... i think i can still afford it... (and save my light box plan for later

(any example of "decent" video auto-focus tracking by the way?

thanks again

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
my current camera is actually my iphone 6s front camera lol... :x
if it's $800... i think i can still afford it... (and save my light box plan for later

(any example of "decent" video auto-focus tracking by the way?

thanks again

iPhones have great cameras... little surprised that its your front camera.. but they are still considerably nice.

Various brands Ex: Sony, Panasonic etc.. have their own versions of video auto-focus (which I and several others believe to be inferior to Canon's for the price of which it costs.) so when I say "decent" I speak of these other brands that have noticeably lacking auto-focus precision/ability.

Cheapest camera you are going to find with Canon's Dual Pixel CMOS AF is this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318277-REG/canon_eos_rebel_t7i_dslr.html

negative things to understand about this camera:
NO Top-Deck display
NO AF ON (back button focusing)
NO Headphone Jack (audio monitoring)

positive things to know about this camera:
Better ISO performance than the 80D due to it's newer processor

As for a lens.. if you want to have a heavy depth of field effect where less is in focus your going to want anywhere from a 1.8-2.8 aperture on this camera. (anything wider is likely too expensive and I highly recommend sticking with Canon glass for your first lens.)

I highly recommend these lenses for a budget set-up:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1143786-REG/canon_0570c002_ef_50mm_f_1_8_stm.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081812-REG/canon_9522b002_ef_s_24mm_f_2_8_is.html

Hope that helps.

Guitar Hack

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hey Rufus. Looks like a cool channel your about to start !!
I agree with Aaron. Using your phone is a great start and the iPhone is good. Try using your back camera and a mirror so you can see the screen. Much better resolution.
I would look at lighting and backdrops before I spent money on a better camera. If you use a darker background you will get better colour rendering and possibly a better thumbnail.

Cheers

Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree with Aaron. Using your phone is a great start and the iPhone is good. Try using your back camera and a mirror so you can see the screen. Much better resolution.
I would look at lighting and backdrops before I spent money on a better camera. If you use a darker background you will get better colour rendering and possibly a better thumbnail.

Cheers

I LOVE the mirror suggestion!

Reactions: Guitar Hack

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal

Cheers
ah yes. That's what I did with my iphone LOL I had a mirror hanging on my closet

Reactions: Aaron

Shawn Gossman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Legend
www.hikingwithshawn.com
Subscriber Goal
I have a variety of different camera options. Sony AX-53, GoPro Hero 5 Black, Nikon D7100, Nikon 360 KeyMission and a G7X Mark II. I have to say this, I like the G7X more than any of them. It is just the perfect little vlogging camera and you can flip up the screen for a "selfie mode" as well. If your budget allows for it, I recommend it. Just get a couple more batteries because they don't last that long!

Reactions: Guitar Hack
OP
OP
rulefuzz

rulefuzz

Cheers

mirror :eek:
i've never thought of that, i should try to find one *-*

right now i'm just using my room's natural lighting...
it would be nice if i can set up the lighting properly so i can actually make my covers during night time as well...
any suggestion on lighting by chance?

OP
OP
rulefuzz

rulefuzz

To add to this, also make sure your camera setting is setup to match the white balance of daylight lights :)

match the white balance of daylight lights
is that something i need to edit after the filming or setup before filming starts?
(and where do i do that?

speaking of which, my cousin has a used sony a5100 that he can sell me... do you think i should get it? (i like the flip screen for sure...
--- Post updated ---
hey, happy weekend everyone!

a bit of update:
i came across a used sony a5100 and i thought the price was good locally (~300usd).

what do you think?
any comment is very much appreciated =)

Ceorge_Christofi

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
match the white balance of daylight lights
is that something i need to edit after the filming or setup before filming starts?
(and where do i do that?

Always before... trying to colour match in post production is a total pain in the arse.

Depending on what you are going for, I use a Nikon D7300 as my bench cam, I also have just got a sony pj-410 camcorder. I like the picture quality of the sony but it has some big limitations. If you are recording sound externally with a stand alone sound recorder then its fine. onboard mic is just ok. the control of the cam with a phone is ok, but the transfer of files via wifi can be gruesome. I have set mine to max res so a 64Gb card will only hold a couple of hours footage. These days, any branded handycam is going to be pretty good. Mine set me back 250 gb£ but out of your budjet that would leave you cash for a couple of sets of photographic studio light kits (check out neewer on amazon). Not the best lights and stands in the world but you can get set up for a lot less than your 800usd budget.

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
www.gearvlogz.com
Subscriber Goal
If you could hold off for a while I'd look into Canon's Refurbished store for your next camera. You can find a great deal on a camera and that has been checked out & repaired and you still get the Manufacturer warranty if it was new.