• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

would you recommend gopro camera for.....

Spinman

Recognized Member
spin-man.com
Subscriber Goal
i been thinking about it, as i need to start making my videos properly, its compact easy to carry anywhere,basically i want to use it as i get asked by alot of people to read their coffee cups do their cards ,and i think it would also fit in my pocket and do the job, am i on the right path?i just want to capture that moment.
i am thinking about the gopro5 by the way.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Definitely look toward an action camera if you want something that can be recorded on the go. For me, I usually use my iphone if I wanted something recorded when I'm out lol. Although you should consider other action cams as well.

OP
OP
Spinman

Spinman

Recognized Member
spin-man.com
Subscriber Goal
Definitely look toward an action camera if you want something that can be recorded on the go. For me, I usually use my iphone if I wanted something recorded when I'm out lol. Although you should consider other action cams as well.

thank you for replying i will definitely look into it!

Jay

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I will admit, the GoPro brand has done a fantastic job with their marketing. When thinking of 'action cameras' they are the go to. However, as @Ikerot has stated, make sure to give the other brands a chance as you may find they are cheaper and have the same quality as the GoPro.

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I would rather invest a few more bucks into the next cellphone - GoPro cams are very good but also very (too) expensive an action cam is best if you go for rugged and wet stuff (sports, biking, surfing, mounting outside on a car...) or if you like wide angle lenses very much.
For everything else they don't give you any real benifit over other cameras and likely don't outperform a good cellphone.

Ofair

I bought a go pro hero4 silver. worked 2 months. go pro refused to warranty the camera because it "wasn't purchased from an authorized go pro dealer" What a crock! Don't waste your money, they DO NOT stand behind they sorry products!

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I bought a cheap Chinese GoPro knock-off. I just use it for snorkeling. I would not spend the money on a GoPro unless I was doing a lot of actual action shots.

For my daily use I prefer my cellphone (Samsung J5). It takes better videos and I always have it with me. The best camera is the one you have with you.

Dallas Dogs

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Kunicross mentioned a considerable factor. GoPros have a relatively wide angle view. They are kind of like a security camera view. If you want to focus on something specific which has some detail, consider spending the same amount or less on an HD pocket camera. They have adjustable fields of view and often have better sound quality. I think a pocket camera has more versatility and is more adept to what you are trying to record.

Just my two cents.
--- Post updated ---
Also, you know they work. Casey Neistat uses them on the run.

Attachments

• IMG_0876.PNG
    IMG_0876.PNG
    890.5 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: kunicross

xingcat

Experienced Poster
TubeBuddy Star
www.xingcat.com
Subscriber Goal
I find that I almost never use my GoPro, because the sound is terrible, you can't see what you're filming while you're filming it, and everything looks like it was filmed with a fish-eye lens. It's great for some things (like action shots or to get b-roll footage for travel vlogging, etc.), but for the average user, I think GoPro is too specific a type of camera to work for everyday use.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I find that I almost never use my GoPro, because the sound is terrible, you can't see what you're filming while you're filming it, and everything looks like it was filmed with a fish-eye lens. It's great for some things (like action shots or to get b-roll footage for travel vlogging, etc.), but for the average user, I think GoPro is too specific a type of camera to work for everyday use.

I think it comes down to it's an action camera, and designed to be just that. I love go pros, but they are like any camera a tool for a specific purpose, and the go pro isn't a swiss army knife it's a machete, and that's about it.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I know that there are people who try to change the GoPro into a camera for vlogging lol. Consider the fact that you can modify it to accept mics like Rode. It is a pain to have to buy a screen for the GoPro to actually see what you're recording. Although, at this point, there are still alternatives (specifically ones with a screen) aside from the GoPro

Reactions: TubeBuddy

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I know that there are people who try to change the GoPro into a camera for vlogging lol. Consider the fact that you can modify it to accept mics like Rode. It is a pain to have to buy a screen for the GoPro to actually see what you're recording. Although, at this point, there are still alternatives (specifically ones with a screen) aside from the GoPro
I actually used my go pro very intensive when I started Youtube since it was the best camera I had at that time.
I bought a cheap Audio recorder and the combination worked quite well - but today you have such a big variety of compact and decent cameras that it's not really worth considering action cameras outside their niche. (still, if it's the only decent camera you own, why not! )

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I actually used my go pro very intensive when I started Youtube since it was the best camera I had at that time.
I bought a cheap Audio recorder and the combination worked quite well - but today you have such a big variety of compact and decent cameras that it's not really worth considering action cameras outside their niche. (still, if it's the only decent camera you own, why not! )
Yeah, I get you on that. I can get the same or even better quality on my phone and I can attach my rode mic to it. However, it's not dying out. I saw people with GoPros (and their monopods) at this year's VidCon :joy:

Reactions: kunicross

Paul

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
texturemaster.com
Subscriber Goal
I use a GoPro a lot on my how to and demonstration videos. I just wear a headset with the new GoPro Session. The good thing about the Session is it smaller, has a really good external microphone and you can Bluetooth to your phone to see what's going to be videoed.