• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need advice for audacity

Hello

I was told I need to keep my recordings
Now I know this is isn't much to do with youtube per say but I'm learning to edit my audio for better quality and I'm eventually now idea what I'm doing. I assume I can adjust these things with the compressor, leveler and equalizer but it's more so i need to understand what these things are and what they do, and why I'm doing it

SimbaHD_

Familiar Member
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I am also new to audacity but all the problems I had were easily solved by a quick search on google and youtube, im sure if you do this you will find your answer quickly

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
Just like Simba said, these things are easy to find with google/youtube search.
But in brief:
- Compressor: compresses the sound, imho you should avoid this, because too much compression on your voice will result in worse sound quality.
- Leveler: levels all audio levels, so the peaks in your audience (i.e. when you scream) will be just as loud as the rest of your stuff (i.e. talking)
- Equalizer: Handy to cut off unwanted rumble or high pitch sounds. Every voice has a different audio range, so you have to play around for your voice till it's top notch.

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
Personally, all I ever do with Audacity (literally use it always) is just the noise reduction to get rid of unwanted background noise and maybe increase gain if needed. I don't know if it's just the microphone I have, but I don't seem to need to do anything else. I also tend not to yell a lot so yeah.
I have tried using the compressor before, but when I use it, it seems to increase the peaks and overall volume/loudness of the audio, no matter what settings I choose. So i just avoid it.