• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Desktop Recording Software Needed

Shawn Gossman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Legend
www.hikingwithshawn.com
Subscriber Goal
I want to do some tutorials for folks in my niche that will require me to record my desktop as well as input from my mic which is an external Rode Podcaster mic. Any good free and easy to use software out there for recording the desktop? I might be willing to get a paid software as long as it isn't too high since I won't be using it all the time.

Reactions: TubeBuddy

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
like everybody said, OBS is free. I'd recommend recording your audio on audacity or audition (sync it with obs first and then turn off the mic in obs) so you can have a separate file of your voice

Reactions: DragoNate

Life Effects

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
I should start looking into OBS - I use Icecream Pro. It's a fine software but it's not good enough if I wanted to get a specific fps count.

Reactions: Guitar Hack

Guitar Hack

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Another tip is to 'clap' at the start of your video so it's easier to sync the audio.
I used to use Camtasia, but have now completely settled on Filmora. Cheap and good, but not free.
--- Post updated ---
I should start looking into OBS - I use Icecream Pro. It's a fine software but it's not good enough if I wanted to get a specific fps count.
There's a new video series! Teach me OBS. :p

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
Myself I use Dxtory, amazing program. But if you do not record multiple audio tracks, I recommend OBS, because it is free.

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
but does it save into separate files? :neutral:
Not necessarily. At least as far as I know. I did some looking up on this before. I think if you have the right software, you can utilize this, otherwise it's all in one. BUT you can "work around it" by running 2 instances of OBS at once. Obviously this will double the PC resources being used though. Something mine can't handle as one is already using half of what I got...

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Not necessarily. At least as far as I know. I did some looking up on this before. I think if you have the right software, you can utilize this, otherwise it's all in one. BUT you can "work around it" by running 2 instances of OBS at once. Obviously this will double the PC resources being used though. Something mine can't handle as one is already using half of what I got...

They are two separate files, but saves to one link all you need to do is go to the file. Click extract and you have the option to edit both separate :)

Reactions: DragoNate

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
I don't understand what you mean? :X You can set the quality and download free plugins to improve it. It's open source, so it's actually pretty friendly in that regard :- )

Then I never found those plugins. And now that I have setup Dxtory I think it's a bit unnessencary to find that out :p