• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

The Steam Controller

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm wondering if anybody here has a steam controller :eek:

I got it a couple of months ago and I really love the fact that it's completely customize-able. That and the back paddles ;] Makes gaming a tad easier. There are two things I can't get over and one of it it's trying to shoot. It's not the worst, but my horrible aiming drops even lower when I'm using the controller. The other is that I have to go into big picture mode. I suppose it is made to be "on the couch" but I'm just sitting here on my laptop XD

I don't have a racing game to test out the gyro, so there's that o-o

Jay

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hmm... the Steam controller! I have not read a single review about the controller itself! You seem to like the aspect of it! Would you recommend it for others to use? In my opinion, PC gaming is meant to be played via controller + mouse. If you were to play COD online for PC, you would get DEMOLISHED against someone who is utilizing the traditional setup.

It may not be the same with every genre but for FPS online play, it would be terrible to use! Anything single player, sign me up!

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
In my opinion, PC gaming is meant to be played via controller + mouse. If you were to play COD online for PC, you would get DEMOLISHED against someone who is utilizing the traditional setup.
You mean keyboard and mouse? XD

I've seen a lot of complaints about the steam controller. A big one is that it can't play FPS games like a K + M. To which, it's certainly is a lot easier to aim with the steam controller than a regular controller like the Xbox or PS. So yeah, if you were trying to play competitive in CS:GO with a steam controller, probably isn't the best idea.

On the other hand! Yes! Playing other games work real well with the controller. I had fun playing Sleeping Dogs (minus the shooting part), Path of Exile, Dead by Daylight, CrossCode, FFX, Fallout 4 (melee run, though), and a little bit of Don't Stave 8)

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Haha! I did mean keyboard and mouse! Also, have you ever played the Binding of Isaac? I'm curious to see how it well it would play on the Steam controller! Thanks for your review @Ikerot!
I actually do have Binding of Issac, but the old one :p I might try it out with the steam controller. See how it works.
--- Post updated ---
Well, I found out that the original game does not support control support at all lol. So I bought Rebirth and it works pretty well. There are templates people already made that you can simply search for so it's easily to do if you don't want to configure everything yourself.

It might take some time to get used to, but it's pretty fluent.

Reactions: Jay

Jay

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I actually do have Binding of Issac, but the old one :p I might try it out with the steam controller. See how it works.
--- Post updated ---
Well, I found out that the original game does not support control support at all lol. So I bought Rebirth and it works pretty well. There are templates people already made that you can simply search for so it's easily to do if you don't want to configure everything yourself.

It might take some time to get used to, but it's pretty fluent.
Wow that's awesome that you tested it out for me Ikerot! Thanks for that! Even though it takes time getting used too, would you recommend to play it like that? I'm REALLY tempted to get a wired steam controller since most of my Xbox controllers break overtime!

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Wow that's awesome that you tested it out for me Ikerot! Thanks for that! Even though it takes time getting used too, would you recommend to play it like that? I'm REALLY tempted to get a wired steam controller since most of my Xbox controllers break overtime!
The steam controller is meant to be played on a couch where you don't have your mouse and keyboard. So if you're like me and you're on the couch with your laptop, sure! Play with the steam controller :p

It certainly is better than the other controllers for me honestly. It has more buttons and great configuration.

It's wireless, but you can play it wired lol.

Jay

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It's wireless, but you can play it wired lol.
How is the battery life on the controller? I got SO tired of having to constantly replace the batteries on my wireless Xbox 360 controllers! Whenever I used to play competitive multiplayer for COD, I would have to change the batteries once every 3 days. If I was REALLY hardcore practicing, even more frequently!

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
How is the battery life on the controller? I got SO tired of having to constantly replace the batteries on my wireless Xbox 360 controllers! Whenever I used to play competitive multiplayer for COD, I would have to change the batteries once every 3 days. If I was REALLY hardcore practicing, even more frequently!
It depends... Or more like idk lol

I haven't need to change my batteries yet. Some people say they've lasted for 60 hrs before having to change batteries. All the things I've gathered, the life span is better than most wireless controllers.

Jay

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It depends... Or more like idk lol

I haven't need to change my batteries yet. Some people say they've lasted for 60 hrs before having to change batteries. All the things I've gathered, the life span is better than most wireless controllers.
Honestly, that's fantastic to hear! I may invest some money into it ;)! Thanks Ikerot!

Reactions: Ikerot

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm wondering if anybody here has a steam controller :eek:

I got it a couple of months ago and I really love the fact that it's completely customize-able. That and the back paddles ;] Makes gaming a tad easier. There are two things I can't get over and one of it it's trying to shoot. It's not the worst, but my horrible aiming drops even lower when I'm using the controller. The other is that I have to go into big picture mode. I suppose it is made to be "on the couch" but I'm just sitting here on my laptop XD

I don't have a racing game to test out the gyro, so there's that o-o

I like the idea of it, but I didn't like how it felt to use. I think it's cool, but not for me. I still prefer the mouse and keyboard, which is funny. When I started I preferred Controllers, but as time went on, that changed.

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I like the idea of it, but I didn't like how it felt to use. I think it's cool, but not for me. I still prefer the mouse and keyboard, which is funny. When I started I preferred Controllers, but as time went on, that changed.
I prefer mouse and keyboard at as well. I'm mainly a pc gamer lol

But the steam controller is made for the couch, unless you got some weird gadget where you can put your mouse and keyboard on a solid platform lol

When I'm on my laptop, I use the controller bc I'm on the couch. Once I'm on my computer, it's key and mouse

Reactions: Jay and TubeBuddy

Jay

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I prefer mouse and keyboard at as well. I'm mainly a pc gamer lol

But the steam controller is made for the couch, unless you got some weird gadget where you can put your mouse and keyboard on a solid platform lol

When I'm on my laptop, I use the controller bc I'm on the couch. Once I'm on my computer, it's key and mouse
With all of this couch talk, you must play game on the couch a lot! Do you ever hook your laptop to your TV via HDMI? That would be a fantastic opportunity!

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
That, and if you use the steam controller... are you even PC gaming anymore? XD
With all of this couch talk, you must play game on the couch a lot! Do you ever hook your laptop to your TV via HDMI? That would be a fantastic opportunity!
Well, I'm still using a PC aren't I? xD People use an xbox controller for their PC, does that make it an xbox?

I have a time schedule on when I use my computer and my laptop. I get off my computer around 5 PM and use my laptop until I sleep. It unfortunate sometimes since I need to edit or record after 5 PM and I can't xP

It's something I started to avoid my sister for the most part lol.

Reactions: Jay and TubeBuddy

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
The idea was nice, but the design is horrible. It feels very awkward in your hands.

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
The idea was nice, but the design is horrible. It feels very awkward in your hands.
It's actually been pretty comfortable for me. Everything is within reach. The only thing I do have a slight trouble is the X button, but I actually don't use it as much with the games I play.

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
It's actually been pretty comfortable for me. Everything is within reach. The only thing I do have a slight trouble is the X button, but I actually don't use it as much with the games I play.

Also depend on your handsize of course :p Thats the reason I hate the Playstation controllers because they give me cramps, but I hear from a lot of people it's their favourite controller. Different people like different things ^^

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Also depend on your handsize of course :p Thats the reason I hate the Playstation controllers because they give me cramps, but I hear from a lot of people it's their favourite controller. Different people like different things ^^
I have small hands. Lol. The ps4 does fit me more, but the steam controller is more convenient (and I don't need to download an extra software for the ps4), especially with the amount of freedom you get from being able to change the buttons (or find templates someone put on the community). Those back buttons though 8) they're a godsend haha