• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Audio Gear How to fix background noises?

MultiMediaLore

Subscriber Goal
My videos have really noticeable background noises. When recording I'm probably too far away from the microphone and my room isn't optimized for audio recording but with my current setup, I can't really make big changes concerning those two issues. So my question is if there is anything I can do to enhance my audio afterward. I use PremierePro and watched a few videos about enhancing your audio and the go-to filter is always "Denoise". But my audio still doesn't sound very clean, even when using the denoise filter and a few others. Is there some secret wizardry that helps me get rid of background noises or should I just try to work on my setup somehow?

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
You dont have to have a complete sound proof room for recording your voice. I record my voice in my own room using Lavalier Mic. Also, I shut my windows and doors and cover them with curtains so that my sound doesnt echo. Curtains, clothes and fabrics absorb the sound waves and eliminate echoes. Try to follow these simple steps, and get your audio clear. You can also use audacity for removing any extra noises.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
My videos have really noticeable background noises. When recording I'm probably too far away from the microphone and my room isn't optimized for audio recording but with my current setup, I can't really make big changes concerning those two issues. So my question is if there is anything I can do to enhance my audio afterward. I use PremierePro and watched a few videos about enhancing your audio and the go-to filter is always "Denoise". But my audio still doesn't sound very clean, even when using the denoise filter and a few others. Is there some secret wizardry that helps me get rid of background noises or should I just try to work on my setup somehow?

I sampled a couple of your videos. You are funny, witty, and have a great video presence. Your edit is very lively. Part of the issue you have is you don't seem to have much sound-proof materials around you.

If you can't change the background and surroundings, bring the microphone in closer even if it shows on camera. Doing your best to fix things at the source is you best option if at all possible.

I would experiment a lot to see what works best.

OP
OP
MultiMediaLore

MultiMediaLore

Subscriber Goal
You dont have to have a complete sound proof room for recording your voice. I record my voice in my own room using Lavalier Mic. Also, I shut my windows and doors and cover them with curtains so that my sound doesnt echo. Curtains, clothes and fabrics absorb the sound waves and eliminate echoes. Try to follow these simple steps, and get your audio clear. You can also use audacity for removing any extra noises.
Thanks, I'll try that!

OP
OP
MultiMediaLore

MultiMediaLore

Subscriber Goal
I sampled a couple of your videos. You are funny, witty, and have a great video presence. Your edit is very lively. Part of the issue you have is you don't seem to have much sound-proof materials around you.

If you can't change the background and surroundings, bring the microphone in closer even if it shows on camera. Doing your best to fix things at the source is you best option if at all possible.

I would experiment a lot to see what works best.
I'll try that! And thanks a lot for your kind words!

Reactions: MattCommand1

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Search for "Wireless Lavalier Microphone For Phone" on Amazon. ;) Problem solved.

Do you have one that you recommend? I have tried several lav mics and always had problems with them. I shoot mostly outdoor activities so there is always wind and body movement to contend with. All the lav mics I have tried, if worn outside my clothes, the audio is destroyed by the wind. If they are worn inside my clothes, the audio is destroyed by the movement of the cloth.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Do you have one that you recommend?

I took advantage of Amazon's return policy and tried the wireless Rode and HollyLand Lark M1 systems. Both worked well but I thought the Lark M1 was a better value so I kept that one. ($150, receiver and 2 mics) In regards to wind, with the included deadcats the wind noise is vastly cut down plus the mics have noise cancelling you can turn on for further wind reduction. But there was still some rumbling on very windy days, over time I've just stopped filming on very windy days because I don't like recording voice overs later.

Tip: Even if no wind, use the deadcats it will help with the rubbing on clothes noise.

I really like the fact that you optionally record in stereo using both mics as well. I have used this for ambient background audio and it worked well. But I'm also buying a new mic just for that purpose, probably the Zoom H2n.

Good review here:

Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I took advantage of Amazon's return policy and tried the wireless Rode and HollyLand Lark M1 systems. Both worked well but I thought the Lark M1 was a better value so I kept that one. ($150, receiver and 2 mics) In regards to wind, with the included deadcats the wind noise is vastly cut down plus the mics have noise cancelling you can turn on for further wind reduction. But there was still some rumbling on very windy days, over time I've just stopped filming on very windy days because I don't like recording voice overs later.

Tip: Even if no wind, use the deadcats it will help with the rubbing on clothes noise.

I really like the fact that you optionally record in stereo using both mics as well. I have used this for ambient background audio and it worked well. But I'm also buying a new mic just for that purpose, probably the Zoom H2n.

Good review here:

Yeah, this is something I have always struggled with. I live in Texas, so the wind is always blowing. If I waited for a calm day, I would only shoot twice a year. LOL! I have bought every Lav mic deacat on Amazon and none of them have ever really helped. I watch these survival shows and they always get perfect sound outdoors and I am always wondering how they do it. Of course, I can't afford $1,000 mics, but there has got to be a way. The best I have been able to come up with so far is my Rode on-camera Shotgun mic. I am about to pull the trigger on the Sennheiser MKE 600 on-camera dead cat kit. It is much more directional than my current mic. I want to capture really good ambient nature sounds to add in to my videos for days when I can't shoot outside, but I want to make seem like the audio was natural. Texas is just never quiet. Even though I live in the middle of nowhere, there are always jets flying over or loud trucks going down the highway, someone's dog barking, someone hammering, etc. Being able to capture video and audio together, really reduced the editing in post. When you have to artificially create and dub, it multiplies the work by many factors.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

The Boozebuddy

TubeBuddy User
boozebuddyupdate.com
Subscriber Goal
I've used acoustic foam, free cubicle walls, and producer's choice sound blankets to protect my space (currently have all three in my closet turned voice over booth) . Surprisingly, a decent lavalier mic (Moman M6 wired lav and a Synco G2 wireless) and Izotope Elements to clean up noisy audio when I'm offsite sounds almost as good as my professional quality space.

Reactions: MultiMediaLore

The Swiss Hiker

TubeBuddy User
theswisshiker.ch
Subscriber Goal
Adobe recently posted a free tool online - Adobe Podcast - which uses AI to remove background noise and it's remarkably good.
It's in beta, free to use and the restrictions are not too prohibitive: MP3 and WAV files only, 500 MB max size and 1 hour max duration per upload. Up to 3 hours total per day.

It's well worth a try, here is the link: https://podcast.adobe.com/enhance
I already used that tool a couple times and it's amazing. Only if the background noise is really loud, it doesn't work. But then you probabaly just need to record the audio.

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I already used that tool a couple times and it's amazing. Only if the background noise is really loud, it doesn't work. But then you probabaly just need to record the audio.

I tried it out and it works great for voice recordings. Unfortunately, that is all it works for. It does not work for any other type of vocalization, such as a bird singing or a dog barking. It actually wipes those sounds out.

Doveman

1. Get close to the mic. ...
  2. Find a sturdy mic stand. ...
  3. Use pop filters to block out plosives. ...
  4. Opt for dynamic mics in noisy environments. ...
  5. Use clean electrical sources. ...
  6. Record in the quietest room in your house. ...
  7. Check your plugs. ...
  8. Watch your gain levels.

watch stories
cc generator

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The Boozebuddy

The Swiss Hiker

TubeBuddy User
theswisshiker.ch
Subscriber Goal
I tried it out and it works great for voice recordings. Unfortunately, that is all it works for. It does not work for any other type of vocalization, such as a bird singing or a dog barking. It actually wipes those sounds out.

Yes, I think it's just to get a clear studio voice sounding like recorded in a radio studio. It's not built to improve other noises like from animals.