• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Has anyone had success using the YouTube Community Feature?

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree with you NBG. After reading your post I saw this on FB. A pure engagement post if ai have ever seen one. No other goal but to fool people into interacting with it. Apparently there are 4.8k suckers that fell for this con.

Screenshot_2023-04-12-09-26-20-88_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6~2.jpg

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
I agree with you. I am not saying that community engagement is a bad thing, I am saying YT piss-poor implementation of it is.

1. It's hidden and difficult to find. It is not on the home screen, it takes four taps on the app to get to it once the app is loaded if you know exactly where you are going. It takes three clicks on a desktop to get to it, and that is only you know how.

2. There is no notification system attached to it. When you post, your followers do not get a notice, and when your followers interact with your posts, you do not get a notice.

In a day where EVERYTHING IS BIG BOLD UPFRONT AND CENTER TRYING TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION, to design a function that can only be used through intentional deliberate action is a violation of any form of reason and intelligence. And then for the creator of such a system to act like they did something great, is an insult to the intelligence of all the people they are trying to fool.

I love the idea, but until it functions more like Facebook,, I am not impressed.

As far as "Engagement Posts" go, I personally am insulted by them and have developed an automatic instinctual rejection of them. As soon as I see an "Engagement Post" on Facebook, I scroll past it as fast as possible. I want only real things, not con jobs pretending to be real things. Engagement Posts are insulting because they are lying to the viewer. 99% of them are questions asking the viewer to give their opinion. The problem is, the person who is posting the engagement post has no interest in what anyone says. The reason they are posting is just for the sheer sake of driving engagement activity. The engagement post says, "Hey! I want to hear your opinion" but in reality, the poster could care less what they have to say. It would be like a boyfriend telling his girlfriend on a date that he wanted to hear about her day, but in reality, he just wanted her to start talking so he could watch the ball game on the TV that was behind her while giving her the impression he was interested in what she was saying.

Facebook is littered with "Engagement Posts" and they are very successful, but I see many people that are getting tired of being manipulated by these fake posts whose one objective is to drive engagement. Like me, people are starting to insulate their minds from these posts. These types of posts are using psychological manipulation to abuse natural human instincts. They are very much a Con-job on society and are very detrimental to society as a whole. Eventually, people will train themselves to not be manipulated by these things. It's kind of like the "Feed the Children" or the SPCA commercials. They use imagery of the saddest things they can find to tug at your heartstrings to get you to donate. This is fine if you only see it on a rare occasion, and it is connected to something real, but if you see this kind of stuff a thousand times a day for the sole purpose of causing a reaction, pretty soon, you are looking at starving children and abused animals and you are not feeling anything anymore.

All these fake engagement posts that are psychologically abusing natural human instincts and nature to drive engagement are going to severely backfire on humanity. They will eventually change human nature to where people will not react to anything normally. This is a very bad thing.
100% agree - they DEFINITELY could do / have done a better job of promoting the CP feature (or its existence for that matter!) and encourage engagement with one's community of subscribers.

As a general rule, I have all my SM platform notifications turned off as (1) it's become too overwhelming due to the sheer number of them, and (2) I go on SM when it suits me, not when I'm being told to. Sure, that means I miss out on timely responding to DM's, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

FYI - besides checking my YT Studio app multiple times per day, I do have notifications turned on for comments, so I know when my CP / video updates get comments...

I'm a pure content creator on FB - I rarely, but I mean rarely, on there to scroll / consume whatever is in the feed, so I can only imagine what you're referring to with those 'honey bee' engagement posts there....pfffff

Reactions: The Jungle Explorer
OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
100% agree - they DEFINITELY could do / have done a better job of promoting the CP feature (or its existence for that matter!) and encourage engagement with one's community of subscribers.

As a general rule, I have all my SM platform notifications turned off as (1) it's become too overwhelming due to the sheer number of them, and (2) I go on SM when it suits me, not when I'm being told to. Sure, that means I miss out on timely responding to DM's, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

FYI - besides checking my YT Studio app multiple times per day, I do have notifications turned on for comments, so I know when my CP / video updates get comments...

I'm a pure content creator on FB - I rarely, but I mean rarely, on there to scroll / consume whatever is in the feed, so I can only imagine what you're referring to with those 'honey bee' engagement posts there....pfffff

The YT Studio cannot be used in conjunction with Community Comments. The comments you see in the YT Studio app, are comments on your videos, not comments on your post in the Community. You have to use the regular YT app, not the YT Studio app to see and post comments on your Community.

• Wow
Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
The YT Studio cannot be used in conjunction with Community Comments. The comments you see in the YT Studio app, are comments on your videos, not comments on your post in the Community. You have to use the regular YT app, not the YT Studio app to see and post comments on your Community.
Not quite.

Here are two screenshots - this one is taken via the YT APP which shows a new CP comment:

Photo 2023-04-14, 09 10 22.jpg

And then here's the screenshot I took from my STUDIO YT APP notifications tab alerting me I have a new comment:

Photo 2023-04-14, 09 09 55.jpg

Reactions: MediaMan

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
I agree with you. I am not saying that community engagement is a bad thing, I am saying YT piss-poor implementation of it is.

1. It's hidden and difficult to find. It is not on the home screen, it takes four taps on the app to get to it once the app is loaded if you know exactly where you are going. It takes three clicks on a desktop to get to it, and that is only you know how.

2. There is no notification system attached to it. When you post, your followers do not get a notice, and when your followers interact with your posts, you do not get a notice.

In a day where EVERYTHING IS BIG BOLD UPFRONT AND CENTER TRYING TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION, to design a function that can only be used through intentional deliberate action is a violation of any form of reason and intelligence. And then for the creator of such a system to act like they did something great, is an insult to the intelligence of all the people they are trying to fool.

I love the idea, but until it functions more like Facebook,, I am not impressed.

As far as "Engagement Posts" go, I personally am insulted by them and have developed an automatic instinctual rejection of them. As soon as I see an "Engagement Post" on Facebook, I scroll past it as fast as possible. I want only real things, not con jobs pretending to be real things. Engagement Posts are insulting because they are lying to the viewer. 99% of them are questions asking the viewer to give their opinion. The problem is, the person who is posting the engagement post has no interest in what anyone says. The reason they are posting is just for the sheer sake of driving engagement activity. The engagement post says, "Hey! I want to hear your opinion" but in reality, the poster could care less what they have to say. It would be like a boyfriend telling his girlfriend on a date that he wanted to hear about her day, but in reality, he just wanted her to start talking so he could watch the ball game on the TV that was behind her while giving her the impression he was interested in what she was saying.

Facebook is littered with "Engagement Posts" and they are very successful, but I see many people that are getting tired of being manipulated by these fake posts whose one objective is to drive engagement. Like me, people are starting to insulate their minds from these posts. These types of posts are using psychological manipulation to abuse natural human instincts. They are very much a Con-job on society and are very detrimental to society as a whole. Eventually, people will train themselves to not be manipulated by these things. It's kind of like the "Feed the Children" or the SPCA commercials. They use imagery of the saddest things they can find to tug at your heartstrings to get you to donate. This is fine if you only see it on a rare occasion, and it is connected to something real, but if you see this kind of stuff a thousand times a day for the sole purpose of causing a reaction, pretty soon, you are looking at starving children and abused animals and you are not feeling anything anymore.

All these fake engagement posts that are psychologically abusing natural human instincts and nature to drive engagement are going to severely backfire on humanity. They will eventually change human nature to where people will not react to anything normally. This is a very bad thing.
Oh, I agree with you that (1) it's a hidden feature, and (2) there's no notification for subs to see an update. 100%

Where I politely disagree with is that you looked at it, read a few articles on it, and principally decided you don't like it, and you never gave it the benefit of the doubt and tried out creating CP's (say 30-ish posts?) before arriving at your conclusions that CP's are not worth it.

Don't take me wrong - I was on the same wavelength as you - but I was willing to give it a shot and try it out myself. And guess what: the above stats speak for themselves (and happily proved my assumptions to be wrong); as people ARE clearly interested in engaging, despite how hard it was for them to find the posts. Go figure, the COMMUNITY portion of CP's is working?

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Oh, I agree with you that (1) it's a hidden feature, and (2) there's no notification for subs to see an update. 100%

Where I politely disagree with is that you looked at it, read a few articles on it, and principally decided you don't like it, and you never gave it the benefit of the doubt and tried out creating CP's (say 30-ish posts?) before arriving at your conclusions that CP's are not worth it.

Don't take me wrong - I was on the same wavelength as you - but I was willing to give it a shot and try it out myself. And guess what: the above stats speak for themselves (and happily proved my assumptions to be wrong); as people ARE clearly interested in engaging, despite how hard it was for them to find the posts. Go figure, the COMMUNITY portion of CP's is working?

Well, I post to CP all the time and have never gotten any worthwhile interaction. I have 18k subs and I am lucky if I get a couple of likes on a Community post. I don't think I have ever got a single comment. Polls get a little more, but I am lucky if I get 10 votes. For a channel with 18k, 100K monthly views, and 5k monthly watch hours, that is just insanity. It is an utter waste of time, and it goes back to what NBG said, it is YT's poor implementation of the feature that is 100% the fault. It seems every new feature that YT comes up with is just horrible, poorly thought out, and generally not worth the effort to pursue (time invested vs return for effort).

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Not quite.

Here are two screenshots - this one is taken via the YT APP which shows a new CP comment:

View attachment 13546

And then here's the screenshot I took from my STUDIO YT APP notifications tab alerting me I have a new comment:

View attachment 13547

I stand corrected. I don't think I have ever gotten a comment on a Community post, so I have never gotten a notification in the Studio app. But that goes just to my point of how bad this system is. You can only post to the community in the YT app, but the only notification comes to the Studio app, which no common YT user is going to be using.

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro

I politely disagree with your disagreement. You assume that I principally decided that I don't like it. That is unequivocally an erroneous assumption. That would be you assuming that my decision is based off emotion rather than knowledge, and that, I find a bit insulting. I understand that you did not intend it that way, so I am not insulted by you, but what I am saying is that, I find people that make choices based on the way they feel to be a very dumb way to live life.

An argument that I find incredibly stupid, and therefore a direct insult to my intelligence is the argument of, "How do you know you don't like it if you have not tried it." I really don't think there is a dumber argument for trying something than this one.

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever laid your head under a semi-truck?

1681483480536.jpeg

ROFL!

You see, you don't have to TRY things to know they are bad. There are better ways to learn. This is why God gave us a brain so that we can observe, analyze, study, and use logic and reason to decide what is good for us. I always say,

"It is only the fool who has to learn from his own mistakes. The wise person learns from other people's mistakes, and there are seven billion examples on earth to learn from."

I know you did not intend to insult me with your statements, and likewise, my statements are not meant to insult you. I am simply making a point. My point is; the YT Community feature is poorly designed and will never work well. I do not have to try it out myself to know this. If in the future it is substantially improved, I may give it a try.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
I stand corrected. I don't think I have ever gotten a comment on a Community post, so I have never gotten a notification in the Studio app. But that goes just to my point of how bad this system is. You can only post to the community in the YT app, but the only notification comes to the Studio app, which no common YT user is going to be using.
Indeed - one would think if they'd really care about evolving their community post section, they'd have somehow / somewhere special links or tabs to lead people to them....

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
I politely disagree with your disagreement. You assume that I principally decided that I don't like it. That is unequivocally an erroneous assumption. That would be you assuming that my decision is based off emotion rather than knowledge, and that, I find a bit insulting. I understand that you did not intend it that way, so I am not insulted by you, but what I am saying is that, I find people that make choices based on the way they feel to be a very dumb way to live life.

An argument that I find incredibly stupid, and therefore a direct insult to my intelligence is the argument of, "How do you know you don't like it if you have not tried it." I really don't think there is a dumber argument for trying something than this one.

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever laid your head under a semi-truck?

View attachment 13551

ROFL!

You see, you don't have to TRY things to know they are bad. There are better ways to learn. This is why God gave us a brain so that we can observe, analyze, study, and use logic and reason to decide what is good for us. I always say,

"It is only the fool who has to learn from his own mistakes. The wise person learns from other people's mistakes, and there are seven billion examples on earth to learn from."

I know you did not intend to insult me with your statements, and likewise, my statements are not meant to insult you. I am simply making a point. My point is; the YT Community feature is poorly designed and will never work well. I do not have to try it out myself to know this. If in the future it is substantially improved, I may give it a try.
My oh my - quite the response there. Goodness me.

Quite the contrary: you have expressed strong opinions in your posts and were quite verbal about them. You have made it very clear you're not a fan of the way YT runs its business, its products, its features, etc.

CP's cannot and will not ever work, you made your point. Dare I open the 'insult box' again and assume you're 200% against YT Shorts videos as well? Video podcasts? Live sessions? Some of us keep an open mind and are willing to try it out anyway, whereas others don't. It's clear in which camps we are.

Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
My oh my - quite the response there. Goodness me.

Quite the contrary: you have expressed strong opinions in your posts and were quite verbal about them. You have made it very clear you're not a fan of the way YT runs its business, its products, its features, etc.

CP's cannot and will not ever work, you made your point. Dare I open the 'insult box' again and assume you're 200% against YT Shorts videos as well? Video podcasts? Live sessions? Some of us keep an open mind and are willing to try it out anyway, whereas others don't. It's clear in which camps we are.

Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Am I verbal? Yes! But I take the time to articulate exactly why I am verbal with well-thought-out and reasoned arguments based on evidence and fact, not emotions. You, on the other, just make assumptions about me. You did it again in your last reply. I am not against any of the things you mentioned, and I am not "Against" the Community feature of YT. I am for anything that earns me just compensation for my efforts. However, I am not a Fanboy who allows YT to treat me like a mushroom and feed me crap and tell me it is ambrosia.

When you understand the meaning of this, you will understand me.

"What makes actors smarter than Ford truck fanboys? Actors get paid thousands to promote the Ford brand and Ford fanboys pay thousands to promote the Ford brand."

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Am I verbal? Yes! But I take the time to articulate exactly why I am verbal with well-thought-out and reasoned arguments based on evidence and fact, not emotions. You, on the other, just make assumptions about me. You did it again in your last reply. I am not against any of the things you mentioned, and I am not "Against" the Community feature of YT. I am for anything that earns me just compensation for my efforts. However, I am not a Fanboy who allows YT to treat me like a mushroom and feed me crap and tell me it is ambrosia.

When you understand the meaning of this, you will understand me.

"What makes actors smarter than Ford truck fanboys? Actors get paid thousands to promote the Ford brand and Ford fanboys pay thousands to promote the Ford brand."
Okay.