• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How long did it take you to be monotized?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
10 years to produce 1,000 videos. I was not talking about getting monetized. You should be monetized before even starting your YouTube channel, thus everything I mentioned about YouTube as a business. I was talking about casting a vision that would allow you proceed for the next ten years. You misunderstood everything I mentioned.

Considering that most 95% of all business fails, and that it takes three to four tries for an person gets it right, it amounts to about the same time frame.

Last edited:

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I can now finally reply to this thread hahaha! It took me 677 Calendar days for my channel to get monetised.

My channel has been up since july 2021 and it seems to be climbing slowly. How long did it take you all to get monotized and was it from the algorithm or did you buy views etc? All tips welcomed :)

As well.. to answer you that, of course, it was from organic views and watch hours. If you're someone who is into buying views and watch hours, it'd look quite a good shortcut but in long term, you're losing a lot more than you've invested as buying such subscribers or views or watch hours will give you a hard time post getting into YouTube Partner Program. Even If you somehow bypass the YouTube Review and get yourselves into YPP, the main grind starts from here.. Your revenue solely depends on the number of views each video gets + super chats + super thanks and channel memberships.

While the latter (memberships) takes a week or two for your channel to be eligible for that, the main source of the revenue is from the former 3 and those are only possible If your audience knows you and enjoy your content. That will only be possible If you've worked hard on building your audience. There are definitely other sources of revenue as mentioned such as Affiliates and whatnot but for that, you, again need a loyal subscriber base or active watchers or audience. So yes! This goes without saying, there's no specific timeline for how long it will take for a specific channel to be monetized, especially If you're a gaming content creator, the competition is quite tough however, there were a couple of videos which helped me a lot when it comes to watching hours and followed by streams. I have seen many gaming channels, some of them are growing quite fast while some take a while. Most of the fast-growing channels are mostly focused on one sort of game and to be honest, that's what is recommended as that way you're niching your way down to a specific game and thus, you'll eventually be attracting a lot of audiences who are into that very specific game.

It took me 600 days for my channel to reach 1k subscribers and another 77 days for its monetization, in these 600 days, my channel had already published approximately 290 videos, covering approximately 20 game titles on videos and streams. What I have learned is that, when you're a channel who's into different sort of games, making gameplay walkthrough videos and doing coop and multiplayer game streams, there will be audiences who would prefer one type of game and definitely, some other audience who will prefer type b or c sort of games, thus, growing a gaming channel is bit tough but the best part is that, I know who are my audience and how they will respond to a specific content or game type and this will only be experienced If you have worked your way since the start. I'm sure, If it's someone who just bought views or watch hours or subscribers just to pass or get themselves into YPP, they will have to spend at least another year to figure out what sort of content their paid subscribers would want to watch... Of course, they can interact with their community or "bought community" or views through the community tab, however, those subscribers are more or less passive subscribers or inactive ones and as we all know, YouTube is quite notorious when it comes to spam bots and within a month or two, they might start losing the subscribers, hence... in long term, If you're looking to grow your channel, trust me.. just grind and keep working hard. There will be times when you will feel demotivated, quite stress when you see only one or two people are there eon your streams or you're only getting around like 5% subscribers to view ration and I won't lie, the current channel sub to view ration is around the same %, maybe a bit more or let's say at least around 8-10% but I know that it's quite normal. You simply can't expect your 100 % audience is active audience, there are people who just subscribed to you for one sort of title or question or mission or guide and once their objective is completed, they don't bother checking your channel unless they're stuck again, soo in my case.. I'd say 10-20% of my subscribers are active, out of those 20%, 10% are super active and remaining one are there.. hahha, they do pop by in my live stream and say hi and bye but yes, you got my point.. They stay! That's the most important thing about growing your audience or subscribers from 0 to 1000, you know them well, they know you well and when the time comes, the community or your at least loyal base fans do pay you back in terms of supporting your content by giving your videos a watch, maybe If they love your content, then it's through super thanks and If you're a streamer then through super chat and membership.

TLDR, don't go for the Illegal ways just to get your channel into Partnership Status, you can still earn revenue before getting monetized through affiliates, opening a merchandise store or through donations but all of these will only be possible If you have got your subscribers through organic ways, through your hard work and not by just buying through some third-party service providers, they are just making the money from you and just laughing at you at later since they know, returns are definitely not gonna happen through such ways.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Like others have said, reviewing products is a great way to get life long views and potentially generate income. Become an Amazon affiliate, review a product in the video, add affiliate links in the description. I've seen entire channels built on this concept from their first video.

With the utmost respect.......10 years? To accomplish what exactly? At least 2 people in just this thread said it took less than 2 years to get monetized. And true for any business? Again...not sure where you're getting your data from. Most business succeed or fail within 3-5 years. If it takes someone 10 years to get monetized on YouTube then they're probably not producing content that often or just doing it as a hobby, etc.

I get why you are recommending the 10.00 price, but I would never sell ad placement in my videos for so low, regardless the number of views or current eCPM. The better thing to do imop when starting out, is to simply go to a few strategically selected potential advertisers and offer them a free video ad. You'll get the experience of networking with other companies, editing your content for ads, plus it will add a bit of subliminal professionalism to your viewers and other potential advertisers. Plus you can use these videos as your "client history" when bartering with new clients. Sure at the end of the day if you're getting a crap load of views you can demand decent money, but don't sell yourself too short, if you're producing decent quality content and your channel as a whole is professional looking, etc, that can go a long way in giving confidence to potential ad partners. Video ads are life long partnerships, you also have to take in where you channel might be in a few months or a few years when negotiating prices.

Fantastic post, thank you! And yes..your home page is really nice and does make you want to hang around a bit. Well done!

Yeah for the record I wouldn't necessarily sell an ad integration for $10. I use that as a reference of measure for creators who are looking for some unit of value to compare to. But I am not going to simply throw an ad into my video for $10. I would do that for a company that I respect in an effort to get my foot in the door though.

Reactions: MediaMan and Damon

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
10 years to produce 1,000 videos.

You didn't even mention "10 years to produce 1,000 videos" in your post. :rolleyes: But anyway I'm finding out the number of videos in a channel is almost irrelevant. I've seen channels with 12 or so videos with over 100k subs, same thing with channels that spam 100s of shorts. Even though my own channel is a slow grower, I firmly believe now is a much better time than ever before to start a YouTube channel.