• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How long did it take you to be monotized?

Daintydame

My channel has been up since july 2021 and it seems to be climbing slowly. How long did it take you all to get monotized and was it from the algorithm or did you buy views etc? All tips welcomed :)

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Ok... I'm gonna jump right on into this one lol *cracks knuckles.*

So first and foremost I have to say... DON"T BUY VIEWS. This is really bad. It's against YouTube's TOS so it can get you banned, deleted or worse... they simply won't monetize you and they will never tell you why. Also brands can see through this immediately. Yes, having 2 million subscribers is impressive... but when you are only getting 60 views on a video or 3 comments or seven thumbs-up that subscriber count starts to look really ridiculous. And finally... the number one reason why you don't buy views/subs etc. It inflates your count in your YouTube analytics. For example, if you buy 100,000 views but you get no engagement YouTube will see that your videos just aren't that interesting. They aren't compelling the viewers to engage or subscriber. That is a huge red flag and it will cause YouTube to squash impressions for future videos. If you buy subs the effect is even worse; YouTube shares you content out to these BS bot accounts who don't watch the video... which ruins your CTR and video performance. Suddenly your 2-million subs aren't watching your content. YouTube sees that there are 2 million people not enjoying your content. There is no way you are going to ever fix that. Every video will be dead on arrival.

In this community we appreciate and encourage healthy, organic growth. Not as flashy or cool as botting out big vanity metrics, but far more effective at fostering a successful, long-term channel.

Now, to answer your question (my apologies, I am very long-winded). It took me 365 days exactly to get monetized. I was doing exceptionally well for a new channel and that Adsense was earning me about $30 per month. So I saw about three checks per year. That having been said I earned over $500 in that 365 days where I was working my way to monetization and in my first year after being accepted into the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) I earned over $5,000 via sponsorships, product reviews/testimonials, affiliate links, services, sponsored site posts and wise financial investments with the money I was earning.

Adsense is a nice bonus. But I make it a point to let everyone know that it really isn't a reliable source of income nor is it going to be that much. There is a lot of financial potential for a YouTube channel but Adsense is really near the bottom of the many revenue sources that your channel creates.

OP
OP
Daintydame

Daintydame

thank you for such an informative reply, I so appreciate you taking the time. I'm still new to all this adsense and how to ,make money through youtube and if I'm even doing everything to my full potential. How do you sponsor products? Do they come to you once monotized? Even when I am editing my videos, I'm unsure sometimes what I'm supposed to check off so I keep it simple lol. I see some channels grow within months so I feel like I'm missing something. I did watch many how to's and understand the thumbnails need to be eye catching and thanks to tubebuddy I now put better hashtags, so I don't know, maybe I need to put out content more often. Thanks again

Reactions: Moochy and Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I took a multi-tiered approach to product sponsorships. The first has little to do with your channel, but can blossom into a very real part of your channel. Write lengthy, detailed reviews for every single Amazon product that you purchase and include photos and video. I tend to utilize these reviews as underhanded advertisements for my channel, though you have to be careful about how you plug your channel. They'll deny your review if you simply include a link or a direct reference. Brands will see your reviews and if you offer a means for them to get in touch with you they will in the hopes you can provide a solid review for their product and if you do enough of these high-quality reviews you may eventually be invited to join Amazon Vine so you can get in on new, higher-value products to review for free. The monetary value of all this is of course the affiliate links you can include in any videos you do as well as selling these products that you are provided.
That was one approach that I took. The other was to go out and pound the pavement. I have a media-kit that includes channel performance data that I use to go to tackle stores, smaller brands and outfitters etc and I pitch them on the value of advertising with me. Which does not include much reference to my subscriber count; that number looks so cool when you are have big numbers but I don't. So I sell them on the 10 million impressions I have accumulated across all platforms and my ability to not only make an amazing, high-quality video but to get it to rank for the exact search terms that we want to be seen in front of.
I also encourage that you embrace your value as a 'micro-influencer.' Everybody wants big money... but you have a voice and a skill to be able to pull nearly 15,000 views from 100 videos and 225 subscribers. If I was in that position right now I would sell ad integrations for about $10. Things like the neighbor's kid's babysitting services or maybe trade a free latte for a plug from the local coffee shop. There may not be a lot of value in a $10 ad integration at first; but there is value in showing the quality of ad integration you can provide to future brands.
Also, you are an artist! That gives you a product to sell... this easily the best revenue source associated with YouTube. You should do a weekly livestream painting and sell those guys!!!

dottiskitchen

I took a multi-tiered approach to product sponsorships. The first has little to do with your channel, but can blossom into a very real part of your channel. Write lengthy, detailed reviews for every single Amazon product that you purchase and include photos and video. I tend to utilize these reviews as underhanded advertisements for my channel, though you have to be careful about how you plug your channel. They'll deny your review if you simply include a link or a direct reference. Brands will see your reviews and if you offer a means for them to get in touch with you they will in the hopes you can provide a solid review for their product and if you do enough of these high-quality reviews you may eventually be invited to join Amazon Vine so you can get in on new, higher-value products to review for free. The monetary value of all this is of course the affiliate links you can include in any videos you do as well as selling these products that you are provided.
That was one approach that I took. The other was to go out and pound the pavement. I have a media-kit that includes channel performance data that I use to go to tackle stores, smaller brands and outfitters etc and I pitch them on the value of advertising with me. Which does not include much reference to my subscriber count; that number looks so cool when you are have big numbers but I don't. So I sell them on the 10 million impressions I have accumulated across all platforms and my ability to not only make an amazing, high-quality video but to get it to rank for the exact search terms that we want to be seen in front of.
I also encourage that you embrace your value as a 'micro-influencer.' Everybody wants big money... but you have a voice and a skill to be able to pull nearly 15,000 views from 100 videos and 225 subscribers. If I was in that position right now I would sell ad integrations for about $10. Things like the neighbor's kid's babysitting services or maybe trade a free latte for a plug from the local coffee shop. There may not be a lot of value in a $10 ad integration at first; but there is value in showing the quality of ad integration you can provide to future brands.
Also, you are an artist! That gives you a product to sell... this easily the best revenue source associated with YouTube. You should do a weekly livestream painting and sell those guys!!!
This is great info thank you so much.

OP
OP
Daintydame

Daintydame

wow thank you, I can learn a lot from you and everyone on tubebuddy. Wish I came on here last year lol. I honestly haven't painted in 5 years after my Dad died, lost my motivation but you have great ideas and I am soaking them all in. for the ad integrations, is there a specific box I would need to check when editing my video so I follow the youtube rules? If I remember correctly, theres a box that says something about Paid promotion and unsure is there a box about ad integrations? Soooo much still need to learn lol

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
wow thank you, I can learn a lot from you and everyone on tubebuddy. Wish I came on here last year lol. I honestly haven't painted in 5 years after my Dad died, lost my motivation but you have great ideas and I am soaking them all in. for the ad integrations, is there a specific box I would need to check when editing my video so I follow the youtube rules? If I remember correctly, theres a box that says something about Paid promotion and unsure is there a box about ad integrations? Soooo much still need to learn lol
I am afraid I'm in the same boat with the painting... been a while. I'm spread too thin to be able to spend that kind of time on it. Hoping to get back into it soon.

For ad-integrations you will need to check the 'Paid Promotion' box. It's in the Video Details tab of your video, just gotta scroll down a bit to get there.
1663092868619.png

Reactions: Moochy and Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, I was already monetized before starting my YouTube channel by selling my handmade fishing tackle on Ebay. Customers kept asking how to rig and use the fishing tackle, so, it really all started as customer service and grew from there. I started making fishing tackle after my dad died in 2007, but didn't start the YouTube channel until 2014.

If you're interested in making money straight off. Start by reviewing art supplies off DickBlick, Michael's, where ever you buy art supplies, and where they have what's called a affiliate program where you can earn cash off every sale made from a special link they give you once you've been accepted in their program. In other words YouTube isn't the only partner program out there. For example here's the DickBlick program: https://www.dickblick.com/affiliates/

The good thing about reviewing products is people are already looking for the items you are reviewing. You'll have a much easier time ranking and getting views and such.

The other thing is as far as painting, if your stick to either current events, "celebrities," T.V., films most anything your see in news your can grow very quickly. The trick here is copyright stuff. However, if a new Jurassic Park movie comes out, anyone can draw dinosaurs without a copyright strike.

However, that can feel like you're selling your soul or something. If that's the case then paint whatever you want, then add lots of product reviews, tutorials. That will be evergreen and never fade.

From there start thinking about teaching some online classes like Teachable and the like. This way you can earn directly from your audience who wants to learn to do what you do.

The next thing is read and practice everything in "How to Shot Video that Doesn't Suck," by Steve Stockman. Then buy Robert Blake's "Creator Economy," Kindle book. You'll be pretty well set.

I've been building my current channel since 2014, and I'm just now at 11k subs. It's going to take a decade of hard, disciplined work to build a YouTube channel. That's true for any business. Yes, your YouTube channel is a business.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Now, to answer your question (my apologies, I am very long-winded). It took me 365 days exactly to get monetized. I was doing exceptionally well for a new channel and that Adsense was earning me about $30 per month. So I saw about three checks per year. That having been said I earned over $500 in that 365 days where I was working my way to monetization and in my first year after being accepted into the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) I earned over $5,000 via sponsorships, product reviews/testimonials, affiliate links, services, sponsored site posts and wise financial investments with the money I was earning.

Holy cats! This post was a packed one! A lot to unravel and digest here. But the thing that opened my eyes the most is the paragraph highlighted that you wrote.

Since you shared, I am waiting for my 1st Adsense payment of $240. I have no sense if that is "good or bad" but regardless, that 1st payment is symbolically important to me.

But that number is spiked due to being monetized for only a week in July as well as a long month in August. Otherwise, the payment for Aug. would be have been around $190. It is too early to tell what Sept Adsense revenue will be. But I am off to a rougher start for Sept. LOL!

Thanks for sharing all the revenue possibilities. Most of my focus had been crossing over to YPP status. I need to brainstorm a bit more how to monetize via all the cool ideas you shared.

To the larger question, it took me 18-months & 1 day from the day I posted my first video to qualify for YPP but I had to wait another 5 days to be formally approved.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

Another great post full of wonderful ideas! You are on a roll, Stanley!

I really like the idea of a media kit with channel performance. I didn't think it would be relevant to me for a long while. But clearly, you have shown the way with your creative approach.

I like the idea of a "microinfluencer". Some topics I cover are extremely niche because I made the decision to try to "own" a couple topics in YT searches. I am hoping that "owning" some small niches that is barely covered will pay off a few years down the road.

You also brought up a good point about developing a "voice". My current "voice" is horrible because I am a stiff on camera. But I am working on it to "loosen up" and perhaps try some commentary & free form. Also, find a way to get some good video content OUTSIDE my main video setup.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Well, I was already monetized before starting my YouTube channel by selling my handmade fishing tackle on Ebay. Customers kept asking how to rig and use the fishing tackle, so, it really all started as customer service and grew from there. I started making fishing tackle after my dad died in 2007, but didn't start the YouTube channel until 2014.

If you're interested in making money straight off. Start by reviewing art supplies off DickBlick, Michael's, where ever you buy art supplies, and where they have what's called a affiliate program where you can earn cash off every sale made from a special link they give you once you've been accepted in their program. In other words YouTube isn't the only partner program out there. For example here's the DickBlick program: https://www.dickblick.com/affiliates/

The good thing about reviewing products is people are already looking for the items you are reviewing. You'll have a much easier time ranking and getting views and such.

The other thing is as far as painting, if your stick to either current events, "celebrities," T.V., films most anything your see in news your can grow very quickly. The trick here is copyright stuff. However, if a new Jurassic Park movie comes out, anyone can draw dinosaurs without a copyright strike.

However, that can feel like you're selling your soul or something. If that's the case then paint whatever you want, then add lots of product reviews, tutorials. That will be evergreen and never fade.

From there start thinking about teaching some online classes like Teachable and the like. This way you can earn directly from your audience who wants to learn to do what you do.

The next thing is read and practice everything in "How to Shot Video that Doesn't Suck," by Steve Stockman. Then buy Robert Blake's "Creator Economy," Kindle book. You'll be pretty well set.

Regarding your 11 years, it is a bit frightening how quickly time passes. We are heading towards the end of 2022. When that happens, I will almost be finishing Year 2. I hope to have more accomplishments under my belt before I enter Year 3 in late Jan. 2023.

I've been building my current channel since 2014, and I'm just now at 11k subs. It's going to take a decade of hard, disciplined work to build a YouTube channel. That's true for any business. Yes, your YouTube channel is a business.

You are very good at spending time with all your gear, supplies, etc. You take your time and relish the experience which obviously translates to more view time. Yes, there are some people who will are in a hurry but the people who stay with you will have a deeper experience.

Your approach to presentation of product and your commentary is very different than what I see. I've learned from that.

Regarding Roberto Blake's new book, I need to check it out. Thanks for the mention. Roberto is really good at all the sponsorship stuff.

Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Quick correction on my part. Roberto's book is titled "Create Something Awesome: How Creators Are Profiting From Their Passion in the Creator Economy."

For some reason "Creator Economy" sticks in my mind more than anything else.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Holy cats! This post was a packed one! A lot to unravel and digest here. But the thing that opened my eyes the most is the paragraph highlighted that you wrote.

Since you shared, I am waiting for my 1st Adsense payment of $240. I have no sense if that is "good or bad" but regardless, that 1st payment is symbolically important to me.

But that number is spiked due to being monetized for only a week in July as well as a long month in August. Otherwise, the payment for Aug. would be have been around $190. It is too early to tell what Sept Adsense revenue will be. But I am off to a rougher start for Sept. LOL!

Thanks for sharing all the revenue possibilities. Most of my focus had been crossing over to YPP status. I need to brainstorm a bit more how to monetize via all the cool ideas you shared.

To the larger question, it took me 18-months & 1 day from the day I posted my first video to qualify for YPP but I had to wait another 5 days to be formally approved.
That's a heck of a first check man! Usually it's for like $101 or something (because they draw the line at $100) and channels often have to wait months (if not years) to finally get it. I know you got killer CPM's so there is no luck involved there; you are doing it right!

I will add though that we are entering a weird time of year. Views are going to plummet between now and January 1st. Strangely though, around the end of October CPM's are going to begin to skyrocket as advertisers are clearing their remaining budget for the end of the year. So less views, but you can expect a revenue spike in November and December.

Mark my words; in January the bottom is going to fall out and everyone is going to be complaining about how all of a sudden YouTube took all their money away. Happens every year.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Quick correction on my part. Roberto's book is titled "Create Something Awesome: How Creators Are Profiting From Their Passion in the Creator Economy."

For some reason "Creator Economy" sticks in my mind more than anything else.
He's working on a new book now!

Reactions: Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Another great post full of wonderful ideas! You are on a roll, Stanley!

I really like the idea of a media kit with channel performance. I didn't think it would be relevant to me for a long while. But clearly, you have shown the way with your creative approach.

I like the idea of a "microinfluencer". Some topics I cover are extremely niche because I made the decision to try to "own" a couple topics in YT searches. I am hoping that "owning" some small niches that is barely covered will pay off a few years down the road.

You also brought up a good point about developing a "voice". My current "voice" is horrible because I am a stiff on camera. But I am working on it to "loosen up" and perhaps try some commentary & free form. Also, find a way to get some good video content OUTSIDE my main video setup.
I'm doing the same; I clam up when I'm around people. I am trying to 'double-down' on the energy of my presentation, and that is TOUGH when I'm being all shy around people. You'll notice I have a LOT more energy when I do a video that is just me. This is also why I started doing these off-camera opening monologues... it allows me to sit in the privacy of my house and yell like a madman at the mic so that the first 30 seconds are real high energy.

sandlashahzaib

wow thank you, I can gain some useful knowledge from you and everybody on tubebuddy. Wish I came on here last year haha. I genuinely haven't painted in that frame of mind after my Father kicked the bucket, lost my inspiration however you have good thoughts and I'm absorbing them all. for the promotion combinations, is there a particular box I could have to check when altering my video so I observe the youtube guidelines? In the event that I recollect accurately, theres a crate that expresses something about Paid advancement and uncertain is there a container about promotion mixes?

Please contact me here https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/gosloto51618florida/

vwes59

Subscriber Goal
Just thought I'd add my experience. I've been running my channel since April 2021, and shot past 500 subs and 4,000 watch hours in January this year - but this year has been a slog. I've kept my hours up, but my viewership slumped through June and July and my subscriber count just crawled along. Why ?

Simply put, I posted no videos to my channel for nearly 3 months between April and July due to family issues. In August I was able to get going again, posting 2 videos a week, which lifted all my stats. I also revamped my thumbnails, titles which brought several of my older videos up the view count.

One other area that I had ignored, was my home screen, so that went through a huge overhaul - Now 20% of my subscribers come from the home screen, not individual video's. I really concentrated on making that screen work properly on a smartphone screen, as 80% of my views come from smartphones - So I have an engaging banner, a to-the-point About Me tag line, and my most popular video, all appearing on the first "page" of a smartphone, followed by my Uploads list and most popular playlists.

Finally my most recent video's have a proper end screen section which has also boosted views and subscribers.

So in order, this is what brings subscribers to me now:

Video Subscribe Button - 77%
Home Screen - 20%
End Screens - 2%
Other (Shorts etc) - 1%

My average daily views has now gone up to nearly 180, and has been on a slow and steady upward curve since September.

I think I should pass 1,000 subs by the end of this month.

Hope that helps a bit :)

• Love
Reactions: MediaMan and Damon

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
How long did it take you all to get monotized...

Like others have said, reviewing products is a great way to get life long views and potentially generate income. Become an Amazon affiliate, review a product in the video, add affiliate links in the description. I've seen entire channels built on this concept from their first video.

It's going to take a decade of hard, disciplined work to build a YouTube channel. That's true for any business. Yes, your YouTube channel is a business.

With the utmost respect.......10 years? To accomplish what exactly? At least 2 people in just this thread said it took less than 2 years to get monetized. And true for any business? Again...not sure where you're getting your data from. Most business succeed or fail within 3-5 years. If it takes someone 10 years to get monetized on YouTube then they're probably not producing content that often or just doing it as a hobby, etc.

If I was in that position right now I would sell ad integrations for about $10.

I get why you are recommending the 10.00 price, but I would never sell ad placement in my videos for so low, regardless the number of views or current eCPM. The better thing to do imop when starting out, is to simply go to a few strategically selected potential advertisers and offer them a free video ad. You'll get the experience of networking with other companies, editing your content for ads, plus it will add a bit of subliminal professionalism to your viewers and other potential advertisers. Plus you can use these videos as your "client history" when bartering with new clients. Sure at the end of the day if you're getting a crap load of views you can demand decent money, but don't sell yourself too short, if you're producing decent quality content and your channel as a whole is professional looking, etc, that can go a long way in giving confidence to potential ad partners. Video ads are life long partnerships, you also have to take in where you channel might be in a few months or a few years when negotiating prices.

Just thought I'd add my experience....

Fantastic post, thank you! And yes..your home page is really nice and does make you want to hang around a bit. Well done!