• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Hardest channels to grow?

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
What Youtube channel genres do you think are hardest to grow? For me, I think it's vlogging channels. My friends have vlogging channels they seem to struggle with. You seem to have to do clickbait or be fake nowadays to grow. What do you think are the hardest channels to grow?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Vlogging is definitely a difficult genre to grow a channel on. Vlogs usually tend to be based on a creators personal life. Trips they take, daily routines, things of that nature. It requires the creator him/herself to be the focus of the content and thus they have to be the brand. If you're not well known there's no reason for anyone to be interested in your vlog. Unless a vlog has a particular genre connected to it, say vacationing or hobbies, which would then change the genre, it usually requires the creator to have a channel that already has an audience in order to get that audience to be interested in your personal life as well.

Another hard genre to grow is gaming. Particularly popular, current games. Usually those consider pro players either through esports or simply being really good at the games, and often those who can make any game entertaining tow watch because they are funny are the ones who can make channels grow. The rest of us have to fight the other millions of gamers trying to grow their channels at the same time, trying to grab the same audience we want. More obscure games require there be an audience specifically for them to find anyone willing to watch your content.

OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Vlogging is definitely a difficult genre to grow a channel on. Vlogs usually tend to be based on a creators personal life. Trips they take, daily routines, things of that nature. It requires the creator him/herself to be the focus of the content and thus they have to be the brand. If you're not well known there's no reason for anyone to be interested in your vlog. Unless a vlog has a particular genre connected to it, say vacationing or hobbies, which would then change the genre, it usually requires the creator to have a channel that already has an audience in order to get that audience to be interested in your personal life as well.

Another hard genre to grow is gaming. Particularly popular, current games. Usually those consider pro players either through esports or simply being really good at the games, and often those who can make any game entertaining tow watch because they are funny are the ones who can make channels grow. The rest of us have to fight the other millions of gamers trying to grow their channels at the same time, trying to grab the same audience we want. More obscure games require there be an audience specifically for them to find anyone willing to watch your content.
Well said so much! With gamers I also lost interest with some due to some do not finish the whole game.

Reactions: BraveStar

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

You picked the two genres I was thinking about! I agree with you the vlog has to be tied into an interest, hobby, or some niche. Otherwise, just an anonymous person getting out of bed, brushing their teeth, doing exercises, and walking their dog is not that interesting.

OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
You picked the two genres I was thinking about! I agree with you the vlog has to be tied into an interest, hobby, or some niche. Otherwise, just an anonymous person getting out of bed, brushing their teeth, doing exercises, and walking their dog is not that interesting.
What I have been seeing is a lot of people doing clickbaity titles too. It works & get's them views. Youtube is so popular now it's crazy.

Reactions: Damon

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You know what though; even the single most difficult genre, niche, channel-type... whatever can be broken into and owned if you simply do the following:

1. Have a great personality.
2. Have a solid, new idea/concept.
3. Make. Great. Content.

Yeah, that's not easy. But it is also not as hard as it sounds. YouTube has not yet peaked. The creators of today are the Mr. Beast of tomorrow.

Reactions: MattCommand1
OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
You know what though; even the single most difficult genre, niche, channel-type... whatever can be broken into and owned if you simply do the following:

1. Have a great personality.
2. Have a solid, new idea/concept.
3. Make. Great. Content.

Yeah, that's not easy. But it is also not as hard as it sounds. YouTube has not yet peaked. The creators of today are the Mr. Beast of tomorrow.
True, thing is being found.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
True, thing is being found.

I am pretty sure Stanley means if you do the things he listed, you WILL get found. There is a presumption that you continue to learn and improve as you go.

I don't have a great personality. I don't have many original ideas or concepts. And my content is okay, but not great.

And yet, I have been "found" over time by following the good advice by more experienced creators as well as apply some of my own business/life principles into the mix.

I think the challenge with a lot of creators is that their field of view is a bit narrow. They hear but don't quite understand. Hearing and understanding are two distinct things. Just like understanding vs. executing are also different things.

OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
I am pretty sure Stanley means if you do the things he listed, you WILL get found. There is a presumption that you continue to learn and improve as you go.

I don't have a great personality. I don't have many original ideas or concepts. And my content is okay, but not great.

And yet, I have been "found" over time by following the good advice by more experienced creators as well as apply some of my own business/life principles into the mix.

I think the challenge with a lot of creators is that their field of view is a bit narrow. They hear but don't quite understand. Hearing and understanding are two distinct things. Just like understanding vs. executing are also different things.
Yea, I understand. Sadly, though I talked to some creators who said they tried everything & nothing. I have even looked at their content & it's awesome but the growth isn't there. I would post a link but just don't want to spam his account. He has changed a lot of his filing it was bad before but now it's top-notch. But he still isn't growing.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Yea, I understand. Sadly, though I talked to some creators who said they tried everything & nothing. I have even looked at their content & it's awesome but the growth isn't there. I would post a link but just don't want to spam his account. He has changed a lot of his filing it was bad before but now it's top-notch. But he still isn't growing.

Well, if they tried "everything" then they might as well stop and give up. However, I am from the school of thought that something is amiss with his videos or channel. Maybe he has bad thumbnails. Maybe he lacks credibility or authenticity. Or if he gets people to click, he loses viewers because of a bad or long intro. Or something within the video makes people stop viewing. Too many factors to get into.

If your friend wants help, then he can start asking for help himself here or Discord and stop twisting in the wind.

There are any number of reasons why a channel does not succeed.

Or maybe YouTube doesn't like him and wants to keep him down. (That was meant to be a non-serious comment.)

If you or anyone else believes it is YT's fault, then it is time to just find something else to do. I along with MANY creators believe we have to get better for YT to do better for us.

Reactions: Damon and Mas Dadan

Mas Dadan

i think the type of channel that is difficult to develop is education. Because now i am from Indonesia. That most Indonesians do not like educational content

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
i think the type of channel that is difficult to develop is education. Because now i am from Indonesia. That most Indonesians do not like educational content

Education is actually a very large category and may not be entirely what you think it is. It is more than just a talking head or a whiteboard. There is a genre of education called "edutainment". I believe viewers don't mind being educated and entertained at the same time.

Edutainment is done through food and cooking channels all the time. Yoga channels do it. Doodle and explainer videos are also edutainment. Fishing channels are also edutainment. Both @Stanley | Team TB and @Damon provide edutainment content into their world. Sesame Street and similar types of content is edutainment. So many examples of edutainment on YT. They teach people things but they also make it entertaining.

Even gaming channels that teach people tips, technique, strategy, and walkthroughs I consider edutainment. They are generally classified in the gaming genre but there are many videos that fall into the edutainment category.

I am not convinced that any culture (including Indonesia) only want mindless content. It is all in the style and presentation.

• Love
OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Well, if they tried "everything" then they might as well stop and give up. However, I am from the school of thought that something is amiss with his videos or channel. Maybe he has bad thumbnails. Maybe he lacks credibility or authenticity. Or if he gets people to click, he loses viewers because of a bad or long intro. Or something within the video makes people stop viewing. Too many factors to get into.

If your friend wants help, then he can start asking for help himself here or Discord and stop twisting in the wind.

There are any number of reasons why a channel does not succeed.

Or maybe YouTube doesn't like him and wants to keep him down. (That was meant to be a non-serious comment.)

If you or anyone else believes it is YT's fault, then it is time to just find something else to do. I along with MANY creators believe we have to get better for YT to do better for us.
I also told him it's because he doesn't post enough either. He isn't the forum or discord type of person.

OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
I would never have thought of that. I would have thought they would be easy.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I also told him it's because he doesn't post enough either. He isn't the forum or discord type of person.

So, if creators that have poor results expect better results by doing the same thing without seeking out new ideas, insights, inspiration, or perspectives from more successful creators, then they can expect they will continue to stagnate.

There are so many places online beyond this forum and discord to get some new ideas, insights, inspiration, and perspectives. Maybe he needs to watch a lot more YT videos from credible creators or he can blame YT for "having it out for him" and "keeping him down."

Last edited:

Wilson IS

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Acho que o canal mais difícil de crescer é aquele que você não tentou fazer nada.
Há 8 anos, meu filho e eu tínhamos um canal de minecraft e em 2 anos crescemos para 11 mil inscritos. Meu filho desistiu e eu deletei o canal.
Depois de algum tempo descobri esse incrível outro canal sobre ferramentas e por causa da ferramenta eu tinha vídeos com 3k ou mais visualizações e meu canal menos de 1k. Deletei o canal.
Além das excelentes opiniões dadas pelos nossos amigos, hoje mais do que qualquer outra coisa, o plano deve ser de longo prazo, por exemplo, 5 anos. Pode acontecer de você fazer um vídeo e explodir de crescer, mas isso é tão fácil quanto ganhar na loteria.
1 - Tenha um plano de longo prazo (pelo menos 5 anos)
2 - Conheça a ferramenta TB e use todos os seus recursos ao máximo
3 - Compartilhe nas redes sociais. Escolha especificamente uma rede social que você goste e divulgue
4 - Trabalhe, desenvolva, work, melhore, work e o resultado vem.

OP
OP
TrVlogs

TrVlogs

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Acho que o canal mais difícil de crescer é aquele que você não tentou fazer nada.
Há 8 anos, meu filho e eu tínhamos um canal de minecraft e em 2 anos crescemos para 11 mil inscritos. Meu filho desistiu e eu deletei o canal.
Depois de algum tempo descobri esse incrível outro canal sobre ferramentas e por causa da ferramenta eu tinha vídeos com 3k ou mais visualizações e meu canal menos de 1k. Deletei o canal.
Além das excelentes opiniões dadas pelos nossos amigos, hoje mais do que qualquer outra coisa, o plano deve ser de longo prazo, por exemplo, 5 anos. Pode acontecer de você fazer um vídeo e explodir de crescer, mas isso é tão fácil quanto ganhar na loteria.
1 - Tenha um plano de longo prazo (pelo menos 5 anos)
2 - Conheça a ferramenta TB e use todos os seus recursos ao máximo
3 - Compartilhe nas redes sociais. Escolha especificamente uma rede social que você goste e divulgue
4 - Trabalhe, desenvolva, work, melhore, work e o resultado vem.
I'm a little rusty with reading Spanish.