• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

AMD Ryzen

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
Hey guys,

What do you guys think of the new AMD Ryzen CPUs?
I think it is very interesting that AMD is finally a competitor to Intel again (which means price drops, faster and better innovations, etc).

I'll just wait for the benchmarks to come out, but I have to say I am already looking at the 1700X and 1800X series for my new pc. But I have to see benchmarks first.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey guys,

I think it is very interesting that AMD is finally a competitor to Intel again (which means price drops, faster and better innovations, etc).

I'll just wait for the benchmarks to come out, but I have to say I am already looking at the 1700X and 1800X series for my new pc. But I have to see benchmarks first.

I am waiting for the bench marks. For me I am more curious how it will will for editing applications because that's my life XD

OP
OP
ShuriBear

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
Yeah I am also waiting for benchmarks. Watched the whole press video today and if they are totally honest AMD will definitely be my next cpu. The 1700X looks like an amazing bang for the buck CPU.

Reactions: TubeBuddy

Cybie

Recognized Member
I have been considering building a 2nd computer just for streaming/recording purposes and if AMD really takes a swift kick to the balls of Intel with a cost effective CPU, It looks like I might be able to do this sooner rather than later.

Guitar Hack

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hey guys,

5.2GHz on all 8 cores - WOW!
4ba119d6-d024-449e-a023-0e2584f4ad89.jpg

Liquid Cooled = new world record.......

Last edited:

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
So far, I like the sound of everything, price included. I'm unfortunately skeptical of AMD processors because mine, for being a dual core (box and info actually said quad core, but whatever...) that runs at 3.6GHz, MAX, it runs at 3.7 or higher just having like 2 things open. And according to task manager, it only ever uses 1 core. Haven't seen 2 before. It's constantly runs higher than 90% and I don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something, but currently, not too happy.

If Ryzen is actually better than Intel's, especially considering price, then it would be a good choice.

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
So far, I like the sound of everything, price included. I'm unfortunately skeptical of AMD processors because mine, for being a dual core (box and info actually said quad core, but whatever...) that runs at 3.6GHz, MAX, it runs at 3.7 or higher just having like 2 things open. And according to task manager, it only ever uses 1 core. Haven't seen 2 before. It's constantly runs higher than 90% and I don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something, but currently, not too happy.

If Ryzen is actually better than Intel's, especially considering price, then it would be a good choice.
I'm running an FX6300, 6 Core, 3.5 Ghz. I've clocked it to 4.9 Ghz but it is too unstable. I'm currently running it at 4Ghz and 4 cores.
It screams along nicely..
Could be your BIOS settings holding you back?

Reactions: DragoNate
OP
OP
ShuriBear

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
5.2GHz on all 8 cores - WOW!
4ba119d6-d024-449e-a023-0e2584f4ad89.jpg

Liquid Cooled = new world record.......

Thats sick! Unfortunately Im not going for the 1800x especially not watercooled because I am too afraid I screw that up.
Im thinking about getting the 1700x :)

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I heard about it, but I'm waiting (or at least when I'm not lazy) for when it hits the market and see how it goes :p If it does what it says, I'll definitely consider buying it because it's way cheaper and more powerful than the one I currently have.

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I'm running an FX6300, 6 Core, 3.5 Ghz. I've clocked it to 4.9 Ghz but it is too unstable. I'm currently running it at 4Ghz and 4 cores.
It screams along nicely..
Could be your BIOS settings holding you back?
It's possible, but I have no clue how to "enable" the second core. I've been in the BIOS before and didn't see anything about it. Maybe I'll do some more research and figure it out.

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
It's possible, but I have no clue how to "enable" the second core. I've been in the BIOS before and didn't see anything about it. Maybe I'll do some more research and figure it out.
This is how mine is set. Sorry it's an old bios.
First I enabled only 4 cores out of the six available so I can overclock without over heating. Most programs and apps will only use 4 cores.
Enable in bios.
I just noticed that you can see the overclock ratio of 21 in the CPU mutiplier. It's a 3.5ghz that is clocked to 4.2ghz. It runs at around 40 degrees. If I use all 6 cores, it jumps over 50 degrees and locks.

img0 (2).jpg

Then check the Ram speed. DDR means double data rate. If your ram is 1066, half is 533.
It will only ever say half of what your speed actually is.
img0.jpg

Enable in windows. Go to search bar and type in msconfig. This window will open. click the boot tab and then select the number of processors and tick the box.
Cores.JPG

Done

Reactions: DragoNate

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
This is how mine is set. Sorry it's an old bios.
First I enabled only 4 cores out of the six available so I can overclock without over heating. Most programs and apps will only use 4 cores.
Enable in bios.
I just noticed that you can see the overclock ratio of 21 in the CPU mutiplier. It's a 3.5ghz that is clocked to 4.2ghz. It runs at around 40 degrees. If I use all 6 cores, it jumps over 50 degrees and locks.

View attachment 625

Then check the Ram speed. DDR means double data rate. If your ram is 1066, half is 533.
It will only ever say half of what your speed actually is.
View attachment 626

Enable in windows. Go to search bar and type in msconfig. This window will open. click the boot tab and then select the number of processors and tick the box.
View attachment 624
Done
Hmm, well, guess what?
When I bought my computer, the box said it was a quad-core CPU.
Found out 2 years after getting it that a quad-core CPU doesn't exist for that model and it's actually a dual-core. My computer says it's a dual core. msconfig says it's got 2 cores. Task manager says it's only using a single core, with 2 logical processors (threads).
Found out Saturday, my CPU only has a single core. Now I'm just angry about it. It never even had 2 cores. It has 2 threads. NOT the same thing as cores. I set msconfig to use both "cores", and it already was. No wonder it's garbage and can't handle anything.

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Looks like current chip prices might fall. I'm due for an upgrade, so I'll wait and see.