• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question My views are going up and down.

biladeren

So when i was 500 subscribers, i was getting like 10.000 views Screenshot_5.png
Now i'm 2500 subscribers and i get like 1-3k views. And i'm uploading the same kind of things.Screenshot_6.png

Also i was getting like minimum 30 viewers in livestreams (2 weeks ago) Now i'm getting like 4-5.

Is there a way to get that much views again? (Most of the views was from suggested videos)

Reactions: Hihimchannel

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I'd say go back and look at what those videos did that made people watch and see how you can carry that over to the new ones.
There are also heaps of videos out there on YouTube about how to increase views etc and this is a good one by @Shelly Saves the Day on TubeBuddy
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkxpTrhatL4

It also comes down to a blend of SEO, keywords, thumbnail design etc so it also happens to everyone when the views come and go but the best thing is if your presistant they will come cause YouTube us a marathon not a sprint.

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
You are not alone, there are thousands of Tubers big and small that have seen this kind of stats, starting about July of 2021. It all started with the YouTube Shorts fund. YouTube put up 200 Million dollars to try to attract top Tik Tokers to the YouTube platform. They were essentially throwing money at anyone who could make viral Shorts and driving traffic towards shorts with a cattle prod so those creators would be encouraged to stay around when the 200 million dollar money river ran dry. I mean, if I put up 200 million to promote something, that is what I would do too. I would make sure people saw it by driving people to that content. It is just logical. But what it meant is that, the normal organics of the user preference AI have been turned off, so instead of suggesting videos based on the users viewing patterns, YT is serving them videos to drive them towards the content they are buying with that 200 million dollar pool of cash. So suggestions for channels like yours and mine went in the tank, and that is why.

Last edited:

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Here is another factor that I believe may be playing a part in views decline. This just dawned on me recently.

Almost 10 million people lost their jobs in the US alone because of the 2020 COVID shutdown. Many of these were people with career jobs. I knew several people like this. My son lost his business as well. Psychologically, this caused millions of people to lose trust in the corporate employment system in general. Think about it. You have your whole life planned out, but that plan is based on your trust in that you have a solid job you plan to work at until you retire, and that plan is suddenly demolished beyond repair because of a disease and the corporation you work for just ending your job. Your whole life plan down the drain because of something that is completely out of your control.

The result of this is that a whole lot of people decided to not trust in the corporate employment system, take control of their own lives and to be masters of their own destiny by trying to find way to start a business online. I don't have any numbers, but I would guess there are millions of more people trying to make a living online today, than there was before Covid. There is only so much internet PIE, so to speak, and now that pie is being divided in a whole lot more pieces. This means that everyone's slice may have gotten a little smaller.

It is only a theory, but it seems logical to me.

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
You are not alone, there are thousands of Tubers big and small that have seen this kind of stats, starting about July of 2021. It all started with the YouTube Shorts fund. YouTube put up 200 Million dollars to try to attract top Tik Tokers to the YouTube platform. They were essentially throwing money at anyone who could make viral Shorts and driving traffic towards shorts with a cattle prod so those creators would be encouraged to stay around when the 200 million dollar money river ran dry. I mean, if I put up 200 million to promote something, that is what I would do too. I would make sure people saw it by driving people to that content. It is just logical. But what it meant is that, the normal organics of the user preference AI have been turned off, so instead of suggesting videos based on the users viewing patterns, YT is serving them videos to drive them towards the content they are buying with that 200 million dollar pool of cash. So suggestions for channels like yours and mine went in the tank, and that is why.
So you're saying that YouTube is drawing people away from our long term content and towards shorts? That would explain a lot. I used to be doing so well and I feel like I've been going downhill recently.

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
So you're saying that YouTube is drawing people away from our long term content and towards shorts? That would explain a lot. I used to be doing so well and I feel like I've been going downhill recently.

I have no way to prove this, but based on a ton of research and talking with other tubers, I believe that this is at least part of the issue. Like I said, it is just logical. Tik Tok has now surpassed YT in watch time. Personally, that fact right there just makes me want to cry for what it says about the state modern society, but putting that aside for the moment, from a strictly business standpoint, YT is worried.

Think about it. YouTube only pays us if we make them money, right? It is called "profit-sharing". But Shorts do not make money. At least very little in comparison with long-form content. Why else would YT put up 200 million out of their own pocket? It is because there was not enough organic money in Shorts to attract creators on its own. It really is simple logic. If Shorts made a lot of money, YT would not need to pay out of pocket to encourage creators to create shorts. YT does not pay long-form content creators out of its own pocket, it pays out of the profits we make for them. Which brings me to my point.

YouTube feels threatened by the success of TokTok. They needed to find a way to encourage YT creators to create a lot of TikTok-style content for YT in order to try to compete with TikTok. YT owners decided to take 200 million out of their own pocket to basically bribe TikTok creators to create content for YT. But what if nobody on YT WATCHES that content? Hmm....? They paid through the nose for it, right? They NEED people to see it because at some point, the money well from which they are throwing money at Shorts creators will run dry, and if the content they created is not doing very well on the YT platform, those creators will head over to TikTok. YT has invested 200 million into this content. It would be insane for them to leave it up to chance that people will see it based on AI organics of viewer preference. Again, it is just plain simple logic. It is what any good company would do. It is just smart business investing.

YT is a for-profit company and they have the right to do what they want to and invest their money however they want. I think they have made a bad bet here. If you eat too much sugar, you are going to get sick. TikTok and Shorts style content is nothing but sugary junk food for the eyes and brain. There have been many short-style video platforms that have come and gone, because eventually, people just get sick of that crappy style of content that has no real value. It works for a season and then it is gone. YouTube is hurting the bread and butter channels that have been the staple of its success trying to compete with TikTok. Some channels have left and gone elsewhere and many will follow if YT does not stop chasing TikTok and get back to its roots. This TikTok fad will fade. Long-form solid content will hold its value much longer than junk food videos.JMHO

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I have no way to prove this, but based on a ton of research and talking with other tubers, I believe that this is at least part of the issue. Like I said, it is just logical. Tik Tok has now surpassed YT in watch time. Personally, that fact right there just makes me want to cry for what it says about the state modern society, but putting that aside for the moment, from a strictly business standpoint, YT is worried.

Think about it. YouTube only pays us if we make them money, right? It is called "profit-sharing". But Shorts do not make money. At least very little in comparison with long-form content. Why else would YT put up 200 million out of their own pocket? It is because there was not enough organic money in Shorts to attract creators on its own. It really is simple logic. If Shorts made a lot of money, YT would not need to pay out of pocket to encourage creators to create shorts. YT does not pay long-form content creators out of its own pocket, it pays out of the profits we make for them. Which brings me to my point.

YouTube feels threatened by the success of TokTok. They needed to find a way to encourage YT creators to create a lot of TikTok-style content for YT in order to try to compete with TikTok. YT owners decided to take 200 million out of their own pocket to basically bribe TikTok creators to create content for YT. But what if nobody on YT WATCHES that content? Hmm....? They paid through the nose for it, right? They NEED people to see it because at some point, the money well from which they are throwing money at Shorts creators will run dry, and if the content they created is not doing very well on the YT platform, those creators will head over to TikTok. YT has invested 200 million into this content. It would be insane for them to leave it up to chance that people will see it based on AI organics of viewer preference. Again, it is just plain simple logic. It is what any good company would do. It is just smart business investing.

YT is a for-profit company and they have the right to do what they want to and invest their money however they want. I think they have made a bad bet here. If you eat too much sugar, you are going to get sick. TikTok and Shorts style content is nothing but sugary junk food for the eyes and brain. There have been many short-style video platforms that have come and gone, because eventually, people just get sick of that crappy style of content that has no real value. It works for a season and then it is gone. YouTube is hurting the bread and butter channels that have been the staple of its success trying to compete with TikTok. Some channels have left and gone elsewhere and many will follow if YT does not stop chasing TikTok and get back to its roots. This TikTok fad will fade. Long-form solid content will hold its value much longer than junk food videos.JMHO
Those are a lot of good insights that do make sense. I've never heard of any short form video stuff before TikTok. However, TikTok's been around for a long time and its still going strong. I first heard about it like 2 years ago when it was gaining popularity and it doesn't seem to losing any popularity. So whats not to say that it's here to say.

I'm not saying that I like that YouTube is pushing viewers to shorts, it hurts us a lot. But they are entertaining and I do watch them, they aren't all bad and some do provide real value (although for each of those, there are an equal, if not bigger amount of just straight up crap), so its got some worth to it.

• Love
Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I guess there might be some better stuff on TikTurd now that they allow videos longer than 30 seconds, but all I know about is the crap that I see pushed at me on FB and ads around the internet. Every ad I see for TikTok I see is stuff that turns my stomach. Not because I watched the video, but just because the thumbnails and descriptions scream "CLICKBAIT". They use tactics that appeal to the lowest form of human emotion. They are like the covers of sleazy magazines at the checkout stand at Walmart. I have heard that there is some decent content on TikTok, but I am not going to wade the sewer sludge to find it. It is certainly not what TikTok promotes itself as.

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I don't buy the conspiracy theory stuff. I just don't see how attracting a viewership who enjoys short-form content somehow takes away from the standard traffic for regular VODs. Shorts are pushed on their own shelf and don't make much impact on VOD's (I never see them in search or suggested, do you?).

What I do see is that there was a huge spike in traffic in 2020 as a result of the pandemic. Everyone was quarantining and a large amount of people were laid off or working remote... which caused a huge spike in traffic to YouTube. Now everyone is going back to work and viewership is now closer to how it was prior to the pandemic. That is something that is universal and an issue all creators are dealing with.

It is also possible there there is something going on with your channel which is causing these results. I assume of course that you haven't made any changes or direction-pivots in order to cause this... but is it possible that you may be facing some stagnation on your channel? It is entirely possible that if the content has not been refreshed or is not expanding that it is not holding your audiences attention. It's ok if that is the case; while it may take time infusing some fresh, new topics into your content can help revive things for your audience.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
No conspiracy Stan, just opinion.:p

Oh, and welcome back from your vacation. I hope you had a great time.
Man I appreciate that! Unfortunately my wife and I tested positive for COVID 16 hours before our flight. Spent my 'vacation' laid up in bed with Nyquil cocktails instead of Margaritas. Hoping to revisit our trip in May/June!

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Those are a lot of good insights that do make sense. I've never heard of any short form video stuff before TikTok. However, TikTok's been around for a long time and its still going strong. I first heard about it like 2 years ago when it was gaining popularity and it doesn't seem to losing any popularity. So whats not to say that it's here to say.

I'm not saying that I like that YouTube is pushing viewers to shorts, it hurts us a lot. But they are entertaining and I do watch them, they aren't all bad and some do provide real value (although for each of those, there are an equal, if not bigger amount of just straight up crap), so its got some worth to it.

Short-form videos are here to stay because of their utility in terms of view time commitment & investment. It is easy to get in and get out. Previous incarnations included Vine and Periscope. FB & Instagram are all-in on video, in general, which includes their short-form IG Reels. Linkedin has entered the video arena too.

We are all going to have to find a way to participate or co-exist with short-form video. I, for one, am not sure what to do except dabble at the moment. I have some ideas but, for me, time is a scarcity. Hard to do so many things at once.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Unfortunately my wife and I tested positive for COVID 16 hours before our flight. Spent my 'vacation' laid up in bed with Nyquil cocktails instead of Margaritas. Hoping to revisit our trip in May/June!

Dang, here I thought you scored yourself a treasure trove of new raw footage outside your normal area! We missed you!

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Dang, here I thought you scored yourself a treasure trove of new raw footage outside your normal area! We missed you!
I wish... I'm pretty bummed about it. Throws off my content schedule for the entire first half of the year. But that's all part of the game. Gotta adapt. Appreciate you man, it's really nice to be back!

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Man I appreciate that! Unfortunately my wife and I tested positive for COVID 16 hours before our flight. Spent my 'vacation' laid up in bed with Nyquil cocktails instead of Margaritas. Hoping to revisit our trip in May/June!
Awe, man! That totally sucks! My sister-in-law was supposed to fly to Brazil tomorrow and she just tested positive for Covid. Brazil has really tight travel restrictions and now she cannot go. And she has already scheduled her annual vacation time off, so even if she gets the all-clear in week, she cannot go. I hope that the rest fo the world follows UKs lead on this and just gets rid of the restrictions altogether. I mean, once you have millions of people in nation with the disease, what's one more tourist going to do that is going change anything? I used to work in the epidemiology field in the Amazon (Malaria Pathologist). Quarantining is to protect an uncontaminated population. Once a disease is widespread in a population, there really is no more purpose for guaranteeing.

Well, anyway, I hope you at least enjoyed the drinks.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I wish... I'm pretty bummed about it. Throws off my content schedule for the entire first half of the year. But that's all part of the game. Gotta adapt. Appreciate you man, it's really nice to be back!

I was thinking to myself when Stanley gets back, he is going to show us some lessons and a case study of how to pivot and publish and position videos outside your local niche. I am very disappointed for all of us. :) But most importantly, despite getting hit with Covid-19, you are well enough to come back to the forums! Get well soon!

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I was thinking to myself when Stanley gets back, he is going to show us some lessons and a case study of how to pivot and publish and position videos outside your local niche. I am very disappointed for all of us. :) But most importantly, despite getting hit with Covid-19, you are well enough to come back to the forums! Get well soon!
You know... I do have a method to my content schedule that includes out-of-niche posting. I need something to write about, might as well work on that.

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
You know... I do have a method to my content schedule that includes out-of-niche posting. I need something to write about, might as well work on that.

Let me ask you about that. Years ago, before I was active on this forum, I was really active over on the YTTalk forum (which is now abandoned). I had a lot of discussions about the idea of diversifying niche content on a single channel or creating new channels for different niches of content. I decided to go with multiple channels, which of course is a ton more work, especially if like me and try to keep to a schedule on each channel. In view of the declining views on my JE channel, I have pondered whether it would not have been better to have put all the content on one channel and create different playlists. I would love to hear your ideas on this.