• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help 1 channel, or multiple?

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
So I do multiple different things on my channel and they don't completely relate to each other. This has gotten me thinking about audience targeting. This is hard to do in this case. Would that be hurting my channel? I've been thinking about starting different channels for those different topics. Would this be a good idea, even though it would mean starting over?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
The title of your channel states "Super Cooper Hobbies". So, people generally know that this YOUR hobbies channel no matter what your hobbies are. Who and What are you trying to target on the 2nd channel vs. your current channel?

It is hard enough to get one channel off the ground vs. trying to get a 2nd channel going.

CyberSorcerer

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
masterfreelancer.online
Subscriber Goal
Personally, I would have to recommend against it. Coming from someone that is doing it. I have 10 channels, but to really grow them all you have to provide entertaining content for your followers which is hard enough for one channel let alone multiple ones. I'm retired and have nothing to do but watch TV all day, and that's boring. I put in about 16 hours a day creating content for the channels. So ask yourself, how much extra time in your day do you want to give up to more work?

• Wow
Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Personally, I would have to recommend against it. Coming from someone that is doing it. I have 10 channels, but to really grow them all you have to provide entertaining content for your followers which is hard enough for one channel let alone multiple ones. I'm retired and have nothing to do but watch TV all day, and that's boring. I put in about 16 hours a day creating content for the channels. So ask yourself, how much extra time in your day do you want to give up to more work?

10 Channels???? Yikes. I have launched a 2nd channel but I am wary of putting too much time on that one because I am gaining some momentum on my 1st one which is my current "bread and butter" effort.

CyberSorcerer

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
masterfreelancer.online
Subscriber Goal
10 Channels???? Yikes. I have launched a 2nd channel but I am wary of putting too much time on that one because I am gaining some momentum on my 1st one which is my current "bread and butter" effort.

Actually, I'm on the low end. There are more than a few that have more than me but like I said these are pretty much pretty experienced people with YouTube. Discord, Twitch, etc. Like I also said, I DO NOT recommend it either

But. everyone is free to do what thy want, so it's all up to @Super Cooper Hobbies on if he wants to or not.

Reactions: MattCommand1
OP
OP
Super Cooper Hobbies

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
The title of your channel states "Super Cooper Hobbies". So, people generally know that this YOUR hobbies channel no matter what your hobbies are. Who and What are you trying to target on the 2nd channel vs. your current channel?

It is hard enough to get one channel off the ground vs. trying to get a 2nd channel going.

Both good points. It would be a lot more work and I have to some extent got my main one set up correctly.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I had the same concern about my channel. I have some travel vids, expat advice, cooking, restaurant reviews, city tours, day in the life vlogs. A various assortment of topics. But they all fit within my idea of the channel - 'this is my life as a retired American in Asia'. So for me, 1 channel still makes sense.

Does the YT algorithm agree with me? Who knows...

If your videos fit within the framework of Super Cooper 'Hobbies'... I would think one channel would be fine. You can also adjust the type of videos as you grow, to fit what is more popular.

OP
OP
Super Cooper Hobbies

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I had the same concern about my channel. I have some travel vids, expat advice, cooking, restaurant reviews, city tours, day in the life vlogs. A various assortment of topics. But they all fit within my idea of the channel - 'this is my life as a retired American in Asia'. So for me, 1 channel still makes sense.

Does the YT algorithm agree with me? Who knows...

If your videos fit within the framework of Super Cooper 'Hobbies'... I would think one channel would be fine. You can also adjust the type of videos as you grow, to fit what is more popular.
Thats a very good point. It all fits within the idea that I have set up, even if the YT algorithm might not be sure.

demoimoet

Right, now i just need 4000 hours watch. I don't think make new channel will be great enough. Just do it when you reach 1 million subscriber at least and create another channel.

Theory Guitar

Guitarist and YouTube Enthusiast
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So I do multiple different things on my channel and they don't completely relate to each other. This has gotten me thinking about audience targeting. This is hard to do in this case. Would that be hurting my channel? I've been thinking about starting different channels for those different topics. Would this be a good idea, even though it would mean starting over?
Bro, I would stick with one channel and maybe once you get a ton of subs on that channel start another one. But make sure you put out quality content on both.

• Love
Reactions: Damon

Welcome to Gaming

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I started my channel with gaming, movie reviews, music content and wrestling content. I soon realised that some people were subbing for one thing and not interested in the other stuff, my sub count was up and down. So I decided to split off into 4 channels.

The gaming channel (the one linked in my profile) eventually got some traction through tips from this forum and other sources. I even narrowed down the gaming channel further from all games to just sports based video games before I started seeing my subs and views grow.

I maintained the Wrestling channel for a while and it nearly got to 100 subs but unfortunately I had to stop doing content for that (friend who did it with me started a family) the music one gets videos every few months which does ok for views but isn't growing sub count and the movie one I haven't posted on for years. I was starting to stretch myself too thin with it all.

OP
OP
Super Cooper Hobbies

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I started my channel with gaming, movie reviews, music content and wrestling content. I soon realised that some people were subbing for one thing and not interested in the other stuff, my sub count was up and down. So I decided to split off into 4 channels.

The gaming channel (the one linked in my profile) eventually got some traction through tips from this forum and other sources. I even narrowed down the gaming channel further from all games to just sports based video games before I started seeing my subs and views grow.

I maintained the Wrestling channel for a while and it nearly got to 100 subs but unfortunately I had to stop doing content for that (friend who did it with me started a family) the music one gets videos every few months which does ok for views but isn't growing sub count and the movie one I haven't posted on for years. I was starting to stretch myself too thin with it all.
Yeah, thats kinda why I've decided to keep going at what I'm doing and just look at what my audience is watching. I've got an idea to combine the topics I do, but I haven't tried it yet.

MarryCheng

Fantastic! It looks like you have many channels. How many YT Channels do you handle right now?

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Super Cooper Hobbies

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Fantastic! It looks like you have many channels. How many YT Channels do you handle right now?
The thing with that though is that by running more, you spread yourself thinner. If you are running that many channels at the same time and being consistent, either all your time is spent making 4 videos a week or each channel would only get posted on like once a month, meaning they would all grow a lot slower.

Welcome to Gaming

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
The thing with that though is that by running more, you spread yourself thinner. If you are running that many channels at the same time and being consistent, either all your time is spent making 4 videos a week or each channel would only get posted on like once a month, meaning they would all grow a lot slower.
Exactly this, I actually only really post to my Welcome to Gaming account regularly, as mentioned the Welcome to Music channel gets something every few months so it picks up views but not a sub growth. I have a second WTG channel where I post stream vods from my twitch or shorts. The other two channels are pretty much dead and I don't upload on them anymore.

I'm just one guy.

OP
OP
Super Cooper Hobbies

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Exactly this, I actually only really post to my Welcome to Gaming account regularly, as mentioned the Welcome to Music channel gets something every few months so it picks up views but not a sub growth. I have a second WTG channel where I post stream vods from my twitch or shorts. The other two channels are pretty much dead and I don't upload on them anymore.

I'm just one guy.
Yeah, thats why I didn't want to switch to separate channels, but I haven't been doing well recently. I don't know if I'm just having a bad week, or if what I'm doing isn't working and its just getting more obvious.

MarryCheng

I like your reply here. There is a good evidence in your your writing.