• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How to Grow to 100,000 Subscribers

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Growth on YouTube is a game of levels and there are several steps along that path. Many of our milestones are direct reflections not of the amount of subscribers or views that we have amassed along the way, but of the level of accomplishment that we have gained.

The first 1,000 subscribers is a game of learning. You are practicing your craft, studying your audience and figuring out how to get them to subscribe. Along the path from 0-1,000 subscribers you learn how to make videos, then you learn how to make them better. You begin to network with other creators, you begin your social media and promotion strategies and by the end of it you have earned your entrance into the YouTube Partner Program and are now a monetized creator!

But then what?

I have asked this of several creators in the 100,000 to 2,000,000 range... what is the difference between 1,000 subscribers and 100,000? And I got some interesting answers, but rather than dumping those answers I would like to pose the question to you; what do you think is the difference? What changes to your content, your schedule and work ethic occur in order to facilitate the growth from 1,000 to 100,000?

Reactions: Geo

Pete A Turner

Known Member
Growth on YouTube is a game of levels and there are several steps along that path. Many of our milestones are direct reflections not of the amount of subscribers or views that we have amassed along the way, but of the level of accomplishment that we have gained.

The first 1,000 subscribers is a game of learning. You are practicing your craft, studying your audience and figuring out how to get them to subscribe. Along the path from 0-1,000 subscribers you learn how to make videos, then you learn how to make them better. You begin to network with other creators, you begin your social media and promotion strategies and by the end of it you have earned your entrance into the YouTube Partner Program and are now a monetized creator!

But then what?

I have asked this of several creators in the 100,000 to 2,000,000 range... what is the difference between 1,000 subscribers and 100,000? And I got some interesting answers, but rather than dumping those answers I would like to pose the question to you; what do you think is the difference? What changes to your content, your schedule and work ethic occur in order to facilitate the growth from 1,000 to 100,000?
I'm curious to hear your findings. I feel like I'm servicing the algorithm more than my audience on YouTube...and being 100...I don't trust YouTube as a business partner. There's a lot of chicken and egg balancing to make progress...all the while, its a robot deciding for people what they like-and that robot craves money. All the tags and SEO in the world can't be a buck spent on ads. :)

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
From what I've learnt in my growth so far, consistency is key - people subscribe if they know they can rely on you to keep providing content. Although I have been making videos every week for quite some time and feel like my growth is quite slow (5ish subs per week). I think part of it is the experience - by the time you reach say 100,000 you will know what people what to see, in what format, order, style etc.

Naheed

Known Member
www.coupongot.com
Subscriber Goal

But then what?

Yes, you are absolutely right. The first 1,000 subscribers is a game of learning.
I am not at that level of 100000 subscribers. So, I am not fit to answer accordingly.
Please share your findings with us. It will be some great research, I am sure.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yes, you are absolutely right. The first 1,000 subscribers is a game of learning.
I am not at that level of 100000 subscribers. So, I am not fit to answer accordingly.
Please share your findings with us. It will be some great research, I am sure.

I completely disagree. Having spoken to 'larger' creators there tends to be a disassociation between where they are now and where they were when they were growing from 1k to 100k. The information they have now is more from the perspective of 'if I had to do it again.' What I want is information from those of use who are in the under 1k and just over 1k group. What is the mindset of that individual and then how does that compare to what I have seen with the larger creators?

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I'm curious to hear your findings. I feel like I'm servicing the algorithm more than my audience on YouTube...and being 100...I don't trust YouTube as a business partner. There's a lot of chicken and egg balancing to make progress...all the while, its a robot deciding for people what they like-and that robot craves money. All the tags and SEO in the world can't be a buck spent on ads. :)

I know there is a lot of frustration regarding YouTube... from algorithm woes to the abundant lack of transparency and the seemingly arbitrary enforcement of copyright, TOS guideline and monetization requirements. There is definite room for improvement in many areas. I will say though that the opportunities which YouTube has presented are worth it. It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but man, look at the other options? They are abysmal IMO. Just remember that for all the sour grapes YT does provide free file hosting and despite the hang-ups access to the worlds greatest search engine is a pretty nice perk. Plus a cut of their revenue.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
From what I've learnt in my growth so far, consistency is key - people subscribe if they know they can rely on you to keep providing content. Although I have been making videos every week for quite some time and feel like my growth is quite slow (5ish subs per week). I think part of it is the experience - by the time you reach say 100,000 you will know what people what to see, in what format, order, style etc.

You know one thing I will say in regards to this... and this is a very difficult thing to explain but it does make sense... when you are smaller you aren't making videos for your subscribers. That's actually a hard pill to swallow sometimes (and you should take the time to make a video specific for your subscribers from time to time). But we are talking about the difference between small channels and 'big' channels. And one of the glaring differences is that the small channels are hustling, they are trying to grow. In order to do so you need to focus not on the subscribers that you have, but the subscribers that you want. The ones who find you in search and suggested. That's the whole reason we say things like 'make sure to like and subscribe!' We don't do that for the person who has already subscribed.

While that battle never ends there is going to be a time when that matters less than it does now. The goal is to get to a point where you can be more subscriber focused and honestly it wouldn't hurt even small creators to realize this and maybe take a step back from the hustle from time to time to show some appreciation for those who have already subscribed.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Getting the first 1k is so challenging and I'm at that level now
It is... but it's also not what you think it is. You are turning the keys on an engine that has never turned over before. Once it turns over and starts to warm up it will begin to hum. It took my channel 8 months to hit 100 subscribers. 8 months later I was monetized and four months later I broke 2,500. And the thing is, everybody's story is like that. Growth comes in waves. You get these random, coincidental waves of subscribers and then you plateau for a bit. Every wave is bigger then the one before it.

Pete A Turner

Known Member
I know there is a lot of frustration regarding YouTube... from algorithm woes to the abundant lack of transparency and the seemingly arbitrary enforcement of copyright, TOS guideline and monetization requirements. There is definite room for improvement in many areas. I will say though that the opportunities which YouTube has presented are worth it. It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but man, look at the other options? They are abysmal IMO. Just remember that for all the sour grapes YT does provide free file hosting and despite the hang-ups access to the worlds greatest search engine is a pretty nice perk. Plus a cut of their revenue.
What you're saying is true...and the platform continues to improve. Still, they are a terrible business partner. Earlier this month YouTube made a "mistake" and nuc'd a friend's channel. Mistakes like that...with the black hole response to these errors is shocking. Yet, this is where the crowd is...so we are stuck with an uncomfortable BUT profitable platform. On the way to 100k, it seems like that group of people may gather in a variety of places. YouTube makes hedging a necessary compromise.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
What you're saying is true...and the platform continues to improve. Still, they are a terrible business partner. Earlier this month YouTube made a "mistake" and nuc'd a friend's channel. Mistakes like that...with the black hole response to these errors is shocking. Yet, this is where the crowd is...so we are stuck with an uncomfortable BUT profitable platform. On the way to 100k, it seems like that group of people may gather in a variety of places. YouTube makes hedging a necessary compromise.

I am a firm supporter of YouTube... but even I have nothing I can add about situations like that. There should be a few more safeguards in place for terminations.

Reactions: Pete A Turner

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You know one thing I will say in regards to this... and this is a very difficult thing to explain but it does make sense... when you are smaller you aren't making videos for your subscribers. That's actually a hard pill to swallow sometimes (and you should take the time to make a video specific for your subscribers from time to time). But we are talking about the difference between small channels and 'big' channels. And one of the glaring differences is that the small channels are hustling, they are trying to grow. In order to do so you need to focus not on the subscribers that you have, but the subscribers that you want. The ones who find you in search and suggested. That's the whole reason we say things like 'make sure to like and subscribe!' We don't do that for the person who has already subscribed.

While that battle never ends there is going to be a time when that matters less than it does now. The goal is to get to a point where you can be more subscriber focused and honestly it wouldn't hurt even small creators to realize this and maybe take a step back from the hustle from time to time to show some appreciation for those who have already subscribed.

That was actually really eye opening and makes me want to change my approach slightly - your advice makes complete sense and I don't know how I never thought of it like that before. This is why I love TubeBuddy :)

• Love
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That was actually really eye opening and makes me want to change my approach slightly - your advice makes complete sense and I don't know how I never thought of it like that before. This is why I love TubeBuddy :)
Nice! That makes my day!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
And the thing is, everybody's story is like that. Growth comes in waves. You get these random, coincidental waves of subscribers and then you plateau for a bit. Every wave is bigger then the one before it.

Not my channel. The growth has been very linear. The oscillations I see are more seasonal in nature. Now the lows have not been quite as low (winter), the high are a little higher (summer), but when you draw a line through it, the overall growth has been linear.

The real growth has been personal growth. When I started I new nothing about cameras, shooting or anything. Today people, well, the owner of Crappie.com mentioned that I should be filming for National Geographic. Well, guess what? That was my goal. No, not specifically to be a National Geographic photographer, but NatGeo served as inspiration for my channel. I wanted to be Jacques Cousteau. I wanted to reignite my love for art. In fact it was through YouTube that I got back into music by composing all my own tunes for my videos. I had burnt out of music because of music school. Haven't wanted to play music for 15 years. Now I'm spending more time making music than making videos, lol!

100k subscribers will never ever beat that. It doesn't matter if I fail to reach 100k subs. I'm still going to keep on doing what I'm doing. The reality is the world doesn't have what I want. If that logarithmic curve never hits, who cares? 100k subs isn't going to make me a better musician, filmmaker or help me provide better services for my audience and customers. In the end 1k, 100k are numbers, just a couple orders of magnitude difference. There's a whole universe out there that's far more precious to me than a number on a screen. (Ultimately, that's why people end up subscribing to me. They know I'm chasing something far bigger. Quite frankly some want to come along for the ride.)

Last edited:
  • Love

Pete A Turner

Known Member
I am a firm supporter of YouTube... but even I have nothing I can add about situations like that. There should be a few more safeguards in place for terminations.
Agreed my friend. It shouldn't take a twitter campaign and other influential YouTubers going to bat for a "mistake" YouTube has a responsibility to provide more transparency and interaction.

Now back to maintaining my YT channel.

• Haha

NanoniumTheDude

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I would say the difference between 1000 vs. 100,000 is that the bigger creators is treating their YT channel as a proper business whereas the 1,000 channel is just getting their foot in the door and realizing their potential.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I would say the difference between 1000 vs. 100,000 is that the bigger creators is treating their YT channel as a proper business whereas the 1,000 channel is just getting their foot in the door and realizing their potential.

That's such an interesting thought - way to look at it :)

• Love
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Getting the first 1k is so challenging and I'm at that level now
It is tough... but you are at the VERY beginning of it. That first 100 subscribers is the hardest. Believe me, the subs from 900-1,000 is painstaking but doesn't physically take anywhere near as long as 0-100. Also, it is a very hard thing to describe for someone that hasn't yet been through it. But you really need to be more focused on the watchtime than the subscribers. It is the harder of the two to attain, but also if you nail the watchtime you inherently are going to nail the subscribers whereas the opposite isn't always the case.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Very well said. I studied YouTube HARD for a full year prior to beginning my channel and it took me a full year to hit 1,000 subscribers. Despite that I would say that I was just beginning to have a full understanding of the process and how it all works for me and my select audience. In fact it wasn't until recently that I felt I had a firm grasp on what works and what doesn't, mainly because I needed this amount of sample size to compare all the variables.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Not my channel. The growth has been very linear. The oscillations I see are more seasonal in nature. Now the lows have not been quite as low (winter), the high are a little higher (summer), but when you draw a line through it, the overall growth has been linear.

The real growth has been personal growth. When I started I new nothing about cameras, shooting or anything. Today people, well, the owner of Crappie.com mentioned that I should be filming for National Geographic. Well, guess what? That was my goal. No, not specifically to be a National Geographic photographer, but NatGeo served as inspiration for my channel. I wanted to be Jacques Cousteau. I wanted to reignite my love for art. In fact it was through YouTube that I got back into music by composing all my own tunes for my videos. I had burnt out of music because of music school. Haven't wanted to play music for 15 years. Now I'm spending more time making music than making videos, lol!

100k subscribers will never ever beat that. It doesn't matter if I fail to reach 100k subs. I'm still going to keep on doing what I'm doing. The reality is the world doesn't have what I want. If that logarithmic curve never hits, who cares? 100k subs isn't going to make me a better musician, filmmaker or help me provide better services for my audience and customers. In the end 1k, 100k are numbers, just a couple orders of magnitude difference. There's a whole universe out there that's far more precious to me than a number on a screen. (Ultimately, that's why people end up subscribing to me. They know I'm chasing something far bigger. Quite frankly some want to come along for the ride.)
Oooh... I agree with you on SO many levels (as I usually do). I feel the same of not only the NatGeo and Jacques Cousteau (I have IDENTICAL aspirations and inspirations) but I am also going to be producing my own music this year. I want to have a little more fun with the channel this year. Yeah, I want to hit 100,000 subscribers. But if I can't do that while enjoying what I do then there was never any reason to do it in the first place.

Reactions: Damon