• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Can you get a copyright strike or claim from a thumbnail?

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Not sure if this was asked but I couldn't find it in the TubeBuddy search bar but I was wondering if you can get copyright strikes on your thumbnail...Like if you just save pictures and make them your own does that count as fair use? For example, this one I made below..all from a google search but I put them together though so would that count as a fair use thumbnail

playing ps1 games on a sega mini.png

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I want to know about this too. Two of my video thumbnails using images from google just like you did in that thumbnail.

Reactions: Jeff Goober

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Short answer - maybe.

Long answer - brands have different philosophies on defending their trademarks. It is important to note that if a brand knowingly allows people to continually infringe on their trademark, there may be grounds for losing that trademark. So it depends on the brand. Some (Coca-Cola, Disney) are notorious for defending their trademarks and employ 3rd-party services to try and find people infringing.

Best thing to do it familiarize yourself with the fair use doctrine and adhere to it.

OP
OP
Jeff Goober

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Short answer - maybe.

Long answer - brands have different philosophies on defending their trademarks. It is important to note that if a brand knowingly allows people to continually infringe on their trademark, there may be grounds for losing that trademark. So it depends on the brand. Some (Coca-Cola, Disney) are notorious for defending their trademarks and employ 3rd-party services to try and find people infringing.

Best thing to do it familiarize yourself with the fair use doctrine and adhere to it.
Thanks for the link..I see sooo many YouTubers using logos and stuff in thumbnail...Maybe I'll just use it and see what happens lol

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
technically you could. I've heard of people sending copyright strikes for using their likeness on thumbnails that criticised them. Weather there's any legal ground on the copyright strike is a completely different matter which only a lawyer could answer, but technically yes, but it doesn't happen very often.

I have heard of a certain large sporting even in America that revolves a ball and loves playing lots of ads during their show, that HAVE sent cease and desist and copyright strikes for using their trademark make of a super..... sporting event... which you're not actually allowed to say the name of unless you have a license to use the name in your title. It was a BIG issue a few years back and is an example where it's rare, but can technically happen.
(here's a link talking about the issue behind "the big game" https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/1/31/18202037/super-bowl-53-ads-trademark-the-big-game-2019 )

Reactions: Jeff Goober

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
technically you could. I've heard of people sending copyright strikes for using their likeness on thumbnails that criticised them. Weather there's any legal ground on the copyright strike is a completely different matter which only a lawyer could answer, but technically yes, but it doesn't happen very often.

I have heard of a certain large sporting even in America that revolves a ball and loves playing lots of ads during their show, that HAVE sent cease and desist and copyright strikes for using their trademark make of a super..... sporting event... which you're not actually allowed to say the name of unless you have a license to use the name in your title. It was a BIG issue a few years back and is an example where it's rare, but can technically happen.
(here's a link talking about the issue behind "the big game" https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/1/31/18202037/super-bowl-53-ads-trademark-the-big-game-2019 )
You aren't talking about Superb Owls are you?

:joy:

Reactions: Beanie Draws