• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Opinion Shooting at 4K and down scaling to 1080P OPINIONS?

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
Shooting at 4K and downscaling to 1080P OPINIONS? What are your thoughts as i am thinkinhg of trying this out. IF so what would the best export/ recording settings be? I am shooting on a canon m50. Cheers

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I shoot in 4k or 6k. I upload to YouTube in 4k and LinkedIn and other platforms in 1080p. I use 1080p/24 h.264 because it is the most compatible format across the board. H.265 is the newer, better format and I probably should use it, but I tend to favor maximum compatibility over the newer format. Said another way, I'm too lazy to change the profile I use to h.265.

Reactions: Randomlifestylevlog

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Shooting at 4K and downscaling to 1080P OPINIONS? What are your thoughts as i am thinkinhg of trying this out. IF so what would the best export/ recording settings be? I am shooting on a canon m50. Cheers

Gives you options in the edit! Although the m50 crop is something to REALLY Consider. WE shoot and edit 4K in Tubebuddy to future proof :)

OP
OP
Randomlifestylevlog

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
All our footage is really close up stuff and that is true, however i haven't really played around with it yet so i am curious. But thanks for your input Andrew!

Damoforce

TubeBuddy Pro
You here people like Peter McKinnon and sorts shoot 1080p and then export as 4K for YouTube.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I just shoot, edit and export in whatever format I'm working with. My iPad exports my art in 4k, so I release it in 4k. I used to think that recording in 4k, to allow room for editing in 1080p in regards to zoom was imporant for picture quality, but I've LITERALLY never seen any complaints about "potato" quality with zooms. If the entire video is blown up and pixelated, then sure, but the audience is pretty forgiving if the image is slightly blurry in zoomed shots occasionally.

Also, I have a 65 inch 4k display and 1080p looks perfectly lovely on it. 4k is a bonus and will make things sharper, but I don't stress too much about it. I just export in whatever the file format originally was in.

Also, if you don't mind the filesize of export, and don't mind the investment in time for upload. I'd spend the time to just upload the native 4k footage for future proofs sake. The audience will be able to watch the footage at 1080p on their own devices anyway.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
You here people like Peter McKinnon and sorts shoot 1080p and then export as 4K for YouTube.
This is a really important point because of the massive improvements in upscalers. The newer ones use very advanced algorithms to generate the upscaled content and it can be almost impossible for the average viewer to tell it is upscaled content.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Mine is in camera. The camera samples at 4k and downsamples to 1080p in camera. On my old GH4 I shot at 4k and downsampled to 1080p via a Ninja 2 recorder. In other words I downsample during production instead of post-production.

Baumi

Recognized Member
Subscriber Goal
Mit 4K fotografieren und auf 1080P herunterskalieren MEINUNGEN? Was denken Sie, wenn ich darüber nachdenke, das auszuprobieren? Wenn ja, welche wären die besten Export-/Aufzeichnungseinstellungen? Ich fotografiere mit einer Canon M50. Prost
[/ZITAT]
AI würde 2k machen, weil es Strom spart. C nicht jeder Anhänger hat einen modernen PC, viele haben noch ältere Modelle, die bei 2k schon Probleme bekommen können. Mit 1080 kommt jeder klar, auch Leute, die sich das Amt nicht leisten können, kommen klar damit zurecht. schnell Int