• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

TubeBuddy Tips DO NOT use more than 15 hashtags in your description!

SoyManuelMedina

TubeBuddy User
I just read some posts about using hashtags on your YouTube video description, many saying it was just a rumor, others saying "don't overuse it", etc!

BUT, if you go to YouTube's help page, there is a specific section asking you to NOT USE more than 15 hashtags on your video description.

• Over-tagging: Don't add too many tags in a single video. The more tags you add to a video, the less relevant they become for viewers who are searching. If a video has more than 15 hashtags, we'll ignore all hashtags on that video. Over-tagging may result in the removal of your video from your uploads or from search.

You can read all about it here, from the official YouTube help page.

Reactions: MarvelousGap

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I only use maybe 2-3 at max hashtags in my description. Sometimes I don't even use them at all

Mr Fishy McFish

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Is this different to the regular tags? I sometimes see the blue hastags on peoples videos, does it mean just adding a # to your topic? I.E: #Callofduty as opposed to a tag of 'call of duty'

Tech EG

Subscriber Goal
thanks for sharing, i mainly use more than 30 tags in single video

Yilk81

TubeBuddy User
Hashtags in the discription? What make this different from the regular tags?

AndyBarbaroha

Subscriber Goal
This refers to the title and description only.
Anyway I've never use hashtags there, but thanks for the information!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
15 hashtags? Geez man... I only use 2-3 for social media in general (7 for Instagram). And I pretty much avoid them for YouTube. Trying to attract viewers, not give them a quickclick way out of my video.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Guys... are we talking about hashtags or keywords for tags. There is a big difference here. YouTube only shows up to three hashtags on your video no matter how many you may put into your description. Tags can feature up to 500 characters and are a portion of the metadata YT uses to determine it's place in search and discovery.

Ennsu's Vault

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Ohhh that's why! everytime I put 2-5 hashtags, the other 2 is missing.. I thought it was only hidden and still visible to the viewers! thank you for clarifying things up! :)

MarvelousGap

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Guys... are we talking about hashtags or keywords for tags. There is a big difference here. YouTube only shows up to three hashtags on your video no matter how many you may put into your description. Tags can feature up to 500 characters and are a portion of the metadata YT uses to determine it's place in search and discovery.
An important factor. YouTube hasn't helped things by bringing in hashtags into descriptions.

I only use 2-3 for social media in general (7 for Instagram).
Fun fact, if you use more than 30 on Instagram it will actually delete your entire description, not just the tags, so your post will post without a description (or that's how it was in 2019, I haven't posted in a while)
Rumor had it, if you used more than 20-25 tags on instagram, your post would get shadowbanned/limited, which is why the "rule" was to use no more than 23. I really should catch up on my instagram knowledge to see if that's still true today.

But when it comes to YouTube, I only use 3 max, and I make them specific to my channel. I don't do things like #art because that will just send people off to other people's art channels. BUT if I do #BeanieDraws #BeanieDrawsTutorials or #BeanieDrawsSpeedArt it helps divy up my content a bit... Though I've also read you want to avoid long tags as well.

The spiffing brit is going to unintentionally get a lot of people into trouble with tag stuffing.

• Love
Reactions: Ennsu's Vault

Naheed

Known Member
www.coupongot.com
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for sharing the information. I do not use such a
large number of hashtags in my description. I will try not
to add more than the requirement.