• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Is this allowed on YouTube?

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Hi all of you gorgeous talented people,

Sorry if this is a silly question.

So I'm posting a new vid this week, however I'd like to add a small 1min clip of my favourite movie in. Is that allowed?

It just fits in with my video. However, I noticed somebody said if you use music etc that's copyrighted then you can't be monetised from it so I don't want to jeopardise anything.

Its a short clip from the movie Clueless. I'm going to be speaking but I thought if I added my little clip it might make my video a little better and it's my favourite part of the movie.

Thanks everyone.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
The general answer is that as long as it doesn't make up the majority of your video and you add some specific content you created to it, you are OK. This is a very general rule. Funny enough, @blackbeltsecrets just posted a video on the topic:

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is an issue of Fair Use. There are rules regarding what you are allowed to do and what you are not allowed to do (that is all covered in the video that SILTHW posted above). But understand, this is how Fair Use works regardless of whether your use actually falls under the FU Doctrine:

If the owner of the footage you use wants to take it down and issue a strike that is entirely their right to do so. It doesn't matter if it is fair use or not. You are allowed to appeal, and if the content owner turns down your appeal you may then take them to court. If you lose the strike/DMCA takedown/Claim remains. If you win then at that point you will be able to show your video.

No, not every video who uses a clip from a movie faces this battle. But it is the end result should the copyright owner decide to pursue and they are allowed to do so at anytime. Use the footage at your discretion, but do so with the understanding of what you are dealing with.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi all of you gorgeous talented people,

Sorry if this is a silly question.

So I'm posting a new vid this week, however I'd like to add a small 1min clip of my favourite movie in. Is that allowed?

It just fits in with my video. However, I noticed somebody said if you use music etc that's copyrighted then you can't be monetised from it so I don't want to jeopardise anything.

Its a short clip from the movie Clueless. I'm going to be speaking but I thought if I added my little clip it might make my video a little better and it's my favourite part of the movie.

Thanks everyone.
I can't give any "legal" advice on the matter, as copyright is a legal thing, but I will say it is more than likely if you include any copyrighted music and footage you don't own the rights to, that YouTube will automatically detect the content. It's up to the movie studio if they claim the video, or let the clip sit. I've had a copyright claim simply by having an analysis and REVIEW of trailer footage, so simply playing the footage was enough for Universal Pictures to detect, and claim the video. You might be lucky, you might not be. You can argue fair use, but if you go down that route, and the studio who owns the original footage wants to reppeal the claim, you could be in for some hassles.

That's not to say anything will happen at all, but it's smart to brace yourself for the possibility that it might be claimed.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Oh my... lol I did not even see that. Now I feel the need to write my own FU doctrine! @Damon

• Haha
Reactions: Damon