• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How do YouTube creators feel about Clubhouse?

Jim Banks

www.spadesmedia.com
Subscriber Goal
I've seen quite a few creators that I follow on YouTube (the likes of @RobBalasabas Nick Nimmin, Mr Beast) show up in discussions over on Clubhouse.

Given it is audio only, are people excited about it or nervous that their followers might find a different/better outlet to gain their knowledge and do it in a more interactive way?

I've been decidedly underwhelmed with Clubhouse so far, but once more of the connections I have start to use it and once it opens up to Android (assuming it does) then it could be interesting.

For commuters/joggers where YouTube might not be such a good fit.

I'm also thinking that Twitter Spaces might fill in some of the space occupied by Clubhouse.

Since they launched they are now touted to be worth $100 million....

Curious to know what the community thinks.

And if you are on it and want to connect I am over there as @jimbanks

Reactions: RobBalasabas

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I have mixed to positive feelings about it. Some of it seems to be a bit of an echo chamber.

When in a group of people you know, it's super fun.
When in a group with a bunch of strangers and you're brought onto the stage it's a bit intimidating. I think they need a raise hands feature for moderators as well to avoid people talking over the top of each other, I don't like interrupting but sometimes to add further to conversation you kinda need to interrupt.

Nick Nimmin was also saying to be mindful that not all advice is good advice. I try to be careful with the advice I give on here, and even though I'm an artist, my CTR has humbled me into realising that while I might be "ok" at thumbnail design, I certainly don't have the results to give myself any real credit or proof that my thoughts should be acted on. But of course, a lot of YouTube is trial and error. You don't know the data, until you try a theory. You test a theory to see if it works, and if it doesn't you try again, and if it works, you have data to back yourself up. So whenever I've given "advice" I try to be careful and keep it fairly general.

I'd love for there to be a DM/private chat, or even a general text chat included so that you can give an indication of what questions you want to ask, it's also a good way to filter the trolls out, and while having a phone number verification system is great, there still have been trolls, although rare.

Some sessions have been amazing, some sessions have been a bit meh, BUT i LOVE the vidsummit vibe to it all.

• Love
Reactions: Jim Banks

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I don't know what Clubhouse is. But overall it's usually a good thing for a content creator to be seen and heard in multiple places. It helps you finding a new audience and it also help bringing people to your channel. I see no harm in trying out new stuff, if it's not working you move on to the next thing.

OP
OP
Jim Banks

Jim Banks

www.spadesmedia.com
Subscriber Goal
I have mixed to positive feelings about it. Some of it seems to be a bit of an echo chamber.

When in a group of people you know, it's super fun.
When in a group with a bunch of strangers and you're brought onto the stage it's a bit intimidating. I think they need a raise hands feature for moderators as well to avoid people talking over the top of each other, I don't like interrupting but sometimes to add further to conversation you kinda need to interrupt.

Nick Nimmin was also saying to be mindful that not all advice is good advice. I try to be careful with the advice I give on here, and even though I'm an artist, my CTR has humbled me into realising that while I might be "ok" at thumbnail design, I certainly don't have the results to give myself any real credit or proof that my thoughts should be acted on. But of course, a lot of YouTube is trial and error. You don't know the data, until you try a theory. You test a theory to see if it works, and if it doesn't you try again, and if it works, you have data to back yourself up. So whenever I've given "advice" I try to be careful and keep it fairly general.

I'd love for there to be a DM/private chat, or even a general text chat included so that you can give an indication of what questions you want to ask, it's also a good way to filter the trolls out, and while having a phone number verification system is great, there still have been trolls, although rare.

Some sessions have been amazing, some sessions have been a bit meh, BUT i LOVE the vidsummit vibe to it all.

Great comments there @Beanie Draws

I agree it would be awesome to have some form of SMS, I am thinking that might be where Twitter would have the edge if they made Periscope their with video stuff and Spaces their audio stuff with Twitter overarching both of them.

There is a HUGE amount of Dunning-Kruger going on.

Seems like everyone is a success, everyone is a millionaire, everyone is an expert, everyone has bioΓÇÖs that cover their life from birth to date.

But I got 3 invites today, yay me.

RobBalasabas

Trusted User
TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey @Jim Banks!

Thanks for the tag. This is a great question - I'm glad you opened it up here inside the Community.

Clubhouse is interesting to me. I'm intrigued by the amount of attention it's getting, and also that it's pulling attention from larger creators too. I recently saw that Mr. Beast is on there now. Celebrities are on there. All sorts of people. I think that the timing of the app launch is also great for them (Clubhouse) since we haven't been able to do much travelling or in-person gatherings throughout 2020, and even now in 2021 -- so there's a deep desire for people to have connections and that sort of 'serendipity' type of moment.

As for me, I enjoy connecting with other YouTube Creators on the platform, listening to what their pain points are and sharing what insights I can to help them. I also love to find ways to share the 'stage' with other creators and create healthy conversations around building channels and de-mystifying some of the myths and bad practices out there when it comes to growing an audience.

We've just been approved for a TubeBuddy Clubhouse CLUB (just search TubeBuddy and you should find it). Come and join in and let's have a good conversation.

I'm on there as @RobBalasabas :)

139095406_772984959966154_4981042948481360714_n.jpg

• Love
OP
OP
Jim Banks

Jim Banks

www.spadesmedia.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey @RobBalasabas IΓÇÖm definitely going to join the TubeBuddy club.

I think we are already connected on Clubhouse.

I agree with you on the celebs. I was in a room last night and Paris Hilton was in it. Her profile/bio is amazing, so not surprised to see her on it.

I also think the two guys that set it up have done a great job of being open about the changes and the direction.

The one slap I got was when someone was saying some amazing stuff and I tried to record on the same device, they donΓÇÖt like that unless all the speakers agree, so might be useful if you are planning on recording a room.

Interestingly Pat Flynn does a live stream every day and yesterday he was on both YouTube and Clubhouse, which I thought was incredibly smart. That is bound to grow his Clubhouse audience and expose Clubhouse users to his YouTube presence, cross pollination FTW.

twaima

I've seen quite a few creators that I follow on YouTube (the likes of @RobBalasabas Nick Nimmin, Mr Beast) show up in discussions over on Clubhouse.

Given it is audio only, are people excited about it or nervous that their followers might find a different/better outlet to gain their knowledge and do it in a more interactive way?

I've been decidedly underwhelmed with Clubhouse so far, but once more of the connections I have start to use it and once it opens up to Android (assuming it does) then it could be interesting.

For commuters/joggers where YouTube might not be such a good fit.

I'm also thinking that Twitter Spaces might fill in some of the space occupied by Clubhouse.

Since they launched they are now touted to be worth $100 million....

Curious to know what the community thinks.

And if you are on it and want to connect I am over there as @jimbanks
Personally, I am not, still growing my youtube channel to stress about clubhouse let along grow on it

• Love
Reactions: CBDHeadquarters

CBDHeadquarters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.cbdheadquartersemporium.com
Subscriber Goal
Think clubhouse is an awesome addition for us creators to interact directly with our favorite content pros. I was on my first time and was lucky to ask Nick Nimmin who was kind enough to absorb the questions and clearly go over what I should do.

I mean we all grind and hurt when we gotta put out our upload and love editing part, lol but why would you want to know how to do it better. Thinkof it this way, if your 1 video outperforms 5 past you edit and make 4 less videos... Dah Hello.

That means when you make all 5 the better way after soaking in some knowledge from pros your results trump. It's all about growth and efficeiency for me. I'm a newbie and started in march 15th 2020, had a 1k sub goal and raising that to 5k for 2021!

FunkyGeckos

Actually had no idea what this was until seeing this post.

I like the idea. I don't really think it will hurt YouTubers to be honest.

I think if anything, it will be an additional tool to better engage with your audience. It could be useful for Q&A's.

Biggmatt

www.BiggMatt.com
Subscriber Goal
I've heard a lot about it but I haven't got iOS so I'm still waiting for Android but I've had a number of the other people on the mighty . com ask me to join and minimum was talking about it the other day so I'm kind of interested but I'm not going to buy an apple

CBDHeadquarters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Actually had no idea what this was until seeing this post.

I like the idea. I don't really think it will hurt YouTubers to be honest.

I think if anything, it will be an additional tool to better engage with your audience. It could be useful for Q&A's.
cool channel, my $.02, get rid of the social media links on your channel art and just put a subscribe button.... You or I are not big enough yet to take them off and need to keep them on our channel....

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So back on topic of clubhouse, having used it a bit more now, it's interesting how it's going. Some rooms are fine to just play in the background, while others I'm really enjoying listening in and even speaking in.

The things I've learned in the last week or so is if a conversation isn't interesting, you can simply leave quietly.
When you're just starting off and want to ask a question, the best way to go about it is to keep your introduction and question super short, much like a video itself, and I'm learning to give advice or suggestions in a short fashion if I can. It's been good for discovering new connections. I've met quite a few new people who have shared some great value who I've never heard of before, and the connections are great. It's always nice to put a voice to a picture, where forums and other social media where there isn't voice, can still seem somewhat impersonal.

I've enjoyed listening in and speaking WITH @RobBalasabas some great connections to be had. Just be mindful of your time management skills because you can easily find yourself talking or listening for hours instead of creating content :p

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I never heard of it... but I now see it is apple only, so not for me. Also I rarely use the phone for social media. I am on the PC more often than not. Why use a 6" screen when I have dual 24" ha ha

RobBalasabas

Trusted User
TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So back on topic of clubhouse, having used it a bit more now, it's interesting how it's going. Some rooms are fine to just play in the background, while others I'm really enjoying listening in and even speaking in.

The things I've learned in the last week or so is if a conversation isn't interesting, you can simply leave quietly.
When you're just starting off and want to ask a question, the best way to go about it is to keep your introduction and question super short, much like a video itself, and I'm learning to give advice or suggestions in a short fashion if I can. It's been good for discovering new connections. I've met quite a few new people who have shared some great value who I've never heard of before, and the connections are great. It's always nice to put a voice to a picture, where forums and other social media where there isn't voice, can still seem somewhat impersonal.

I've enjoyed listening in and speaking WITH @RobBalasabas some great connections to be had. Just be mindful of your time management skills because you can easily find yourself talking or listening for hours instead of creating content :p
Hey @Beanie Draws I totally agree about what you said re being mindful of your time management while on there. It's been fun hanging out with your Beanie!

• Love

CBDHeadquarters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

OMG so true about your first time speaking some people go on and on and on. I think it's important but when your asked to...