• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Question How long should my videos be?

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Hey Everyone,

I have no idea on how long my videos should be. I don't want to be producing anything that's too short that nobody wants to watch but I also don't want to be boring everybody with super long videos as I know that watch time is important. I don't want people getting fed up and turning off my video half way through.

How long do your videos usually last?

My first two videos were very short, one being 2 minutes 24 seconds and the other was 6 minutes 06 seconds. I then posted a longer video which is 11 minutes 18 seconds but I have noticed that people haven't watched the whole thing.

I'm kind of stuck on how long I should be doing my videos for.

Thanks everyone!

Lauren

FunkyGeckos

I'd say a good middle point is 5 minutes. Long enough to get in what you want to get in and short enough to where people don't lose interest half way through. The longer videos should have more content.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
You want the length of your videos to match the amount of quality content you have for that video. If you have 5 min of really good quality content you want to make it a 5 min video. A 5 min fantastic video will be much better for your channel than if you try do drag it out so it becomes a 7 min mediocre video.

A fantastic video will get high audience retention, more people will like it, subscribe, come back for more content, get recommended by the YouTube algorithm. A mediocre video will most of the time just disappear behind all the other millions of videos on YouTube.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hey Everyone,

I have no idea on how long my videos should be. I don't want to be producing anything that's too short that nobody wants to watch but I also don't want to be boring everybody with super long videos as I know that watch time is important. I don't want people getting fed up and turning off my video half way through.

How long do your videos usually last?

My first two videos were very short, one being 2 minutes 24 seconds and the other was 6 minutes 06 seconds. I then posted a longer video which is 11 minutes 18 seconds but I have noticed that people haven't watched the whole thing.

I'm kind of stuck on how long I should be doing my videos for.

Thanks everyone!

Lauren
I've been playing with this quite a bit. And @Ater is exactly right. The idea is to get your timing to match the conventions of your niche and the quality of your content. My best performing videos are about 6-7 minutes and I find my niche's attention span is around that time. My longer videos tend to have drop offs at 6-7 minutes so I started to tune to that length and found my AVD went way up. I also find I can go as low as 4 minutes without negatively impacting my AVD.

But to show that isn't the only answer, some of my videos that are that length aren't as interesting to my audience and don't carry the same AVD. That I completely on me.

Reactions: taatahdi
OP
OP
Laurenk

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Thanks everyone!!!!!!

That's helped so much. I don't want to be boring everyone haha, I want my videos to be watched all the way though.

Thank you all for replying to me, I'll take onboard what you all have said! :)

Ragulsundaram

Very Well-Known Member
www.facttests.com
Subscriber Goal
Depends if you want more money from your videos. If people watch videos more. then you can make videos for more than 8 mins to control the ads on your videos.

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Don't make the videos too long or too short, just adjust your length to something that fits your personality, video type, and all that.

Reactions: taatahdi