• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback #Shorts thumbnail strategy.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Shorts on YouTube are interesting. I don't have access to shorts shelf on the home page, but after uploading some shorts, I DO get to have a shorts shelf on my channel home page. On the home page these videos don't get a thumbnail, but rather a preview of the main bit of action, but on the video page, and in playlists, they have traditional video thumbnails so I thought I'd make some thumbnails for their display in that area.

These drawings were done vertically, so I've tried to find a nice balance of actually showing the art a bit, because in shrunk down format, the vertical nature means you see less of what the artwork actually is anyway, so I've tried experimenting with crop.
I've also gone with a colour I normally don't like, but the high contrast and green I was hoping would grab attention if shown in suggested and recommended, so I went with something simple but bold.

It's going to be interesting to see where shorts and thumbnails FOR shorts go, but I'm interested to know what you think on first impression.

rex vs carno.jpgTREX SHORTS2.jpg

liftoffvideo

liftoffvideo.com
Subscriber Goal
Shorts on YouTube are interesting. I don't have access to shorts shelf on the home page, but after uploading some shorts, I DO get to have a shorts shelf on my channel home page. On the home page these videos don't get a thumbnail, but rather a preview of the main bit of action, but on the video page, and in playlists, they have traditional video thumbnails so I thought I'd make some thumbnails for their display in that area.

These drawings were done vertically, so I've tried to find a nice balance of actually showing the art a bit, because in shrunk down format, the vertical nature means you see less of what the artwork actually is anyway, so I've tried experimenting with crop.
I've also gone with a colour I normally don't like, but the high contrast and green I was hoping would grab attention if shown in suggested and recommended, so I went with something simple but bold.

It's going to be interesting to see where shorts and thumbnails FOR shorts go, but I'm interested to know what you think on first impression.

View attachment 8862View attachment 8863

Love your art and I think the high contrast green against the drawing looks great, keen to hear how these perform!

nate polmateer

Known Member
Subscriber Goal

Great work on these they look amazing! :)

Drscottbland

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

I love the idea of doing thumbnails because I hate the look of the random vidcap youtube puts on shorts, but these donΓÇÖt seem to be vertical format, are you turning them 90deg?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I love the idea of doing thumbnails because I hate the look of the random vidcap youtube puts on shorts, but these donΓÇÖt seem to be vertical format, are you turning them 90deg?
Thumbnails for shorts only show on the channel. Not on the shorts shelf. At least right now that is the case

Drscottbland

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thumbnails for shorts only show on the channel. Not on the shorts shelf. At least right now that is the case
Aaahh, so the thumbnails themselves are the traditional format? This is stupid to keep asking, IΓÇÖm going to go look at your channel haha

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I like the look of the thumbnail for when people find your video when it wonΓÇÖt be seen directly as a short (when itΓÇÖs not being watched on a mobile device). ItΓÇÖs too bad you canΓÇÖt at least choose a vertical thumbnail for people to see on the shorts shelf before they watch your video.