• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Youtube Thumbnails and CTR

Kulture ChroniK

kulturechronik.fr
Subscriber Goal
Hi everyone !

From what percentage do you consider that a click-through rate per impression is correct or even good? And below how much is it bad?

Is there a need to change some things on old videos that have bad CTR? change the thumbnail or something else?

Is it possible that this is the subject that is simply not interesting? for example in the case of test of a tech product review, a product not interesting for the spectators?

What tool would you recommend for making thumbnails? I use Tubebuddy's built-in tool which is good but I would like to have a background extractor and a function to surround the outlines of subjects and people.

Thank you in advance for everything.

NanoniumTheDude

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The average on YT is 2-10%, however, your goal should be to get as high of a percentage as possible. I think a good way to tell if you have a bad CTR is how it's performing relative to your other videos. For example, if normally your CTR is 10%, 9% is ok, but if it's 2% with a similar number of impressions that is a red flag. Keep in mind the higher the views, the lower the CTR tends to be in general.

Look at the analytics of bad performing video, what is wrong? The CTR or AVP? if CTR, thumbnail, if AVP maybe the content of the video is bad, in which case there isn't too much you can do aside from maybe changing tags.

I think you can make even the most boring of topics entertaining if you present it in an engaging way - maybe add music, have visual changes every 5-10s to keep people alert and engaged.

Personally, I use Canva, but there are other tools like GIMP and plenty of others if you google them.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I generally leave my thumbnails alone if they've got 5% ctr. If they get to 3-4% ctr I experiment with changing them up. That said, CTR isn't just about thumbnail quality. Clickthrough means that the thumbnail was suggested as either a result in search, or suggested in recommendations and in that case, they aren't always interesting to the viewer anyway so it could sometimes just be that the topic it'self isn't interesting. Granted, a more "clickbaity" thumb COULD get more of a click, but if the topic it'self isn't interesting to audiences, it's still not going to get the click.

I have some videos with horrible CTR, in the 1-2% range, those ones I look into changing up thumbnail wise, but if the content it'self isn't interesting, and my 1-2% thumbnails have pretty average, I doubt changing the thumbnail is going to improve things, so I just accept those as dead on arrival, and I focus on making my next videos better topic and better quality in thumbnail.

kallendiggs

TubeBuddy User
Hi everyone !

From what percentage do you consider that a click-through rate per impression is correct or even good? And below how much is it bad?

Is there a need to change some things on old videos that have bad CTR? change the thumbnail or something else?

Is it possible that this is the subject that is simply not interesting? for example in the case of test of a tech product review, a product not interesting for the spectators?

What tool would you recommend for making thumbnails? I use Tubebuddy's built-in tool which is good but I would like to have a background extractor and a function to surround the outlines of subjects and people.

Thank you in advance for everything.

As already stated, 2-10% is the average. In the beginning, you should worry more about maintaining a minimal average before increasing your expectations. Some videos will get a better CTR than others, but strive to maintain a minimal average.

I have videos with 3-4% CTR, but I strive for at least 2.5% CTR. If I notice any similarities in the videos with higher CTRs, I'll try to implement some of those tactics in the future videos to see if it makes a difference. If I noticed my recent videos decreased my expected CTR, I'd worry more about that!