• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question copyright claim and view time?

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Hey gang,

A quick one

But first up - I now own TWO TB accounts... so if anyone agrees with me, on any thread... you'll now wonder whether it's my other account. I wonder who owns the most TB accounts? Anyone beat two...

QUESTION

On the new channel I'm loading up five videos. I expected they may get a copywrite claim. I took out loads of stuff and edited in other stuff that was 'clean'. But I told the performer, that it was likely... as she has a 90 second sing-along song on each video.

So far one video has uploaded and that song/video has got the copywrite claim.

It's not a strike.

It says this:

Channel impact

Not affected
The Content ID claim on your video doesn't affect your channel.

The videos are not the ones that will eventually be reprehensive of the channel, but need to go up now. We are obviously not monetized yet. So that is not a worry. So on the one hand I don't care [am not worried] in terms of the impact on the videos.

My question is on the impact on the channel.

As I said after these five videos - all of the videos going up will be 100% original content

BUT having five videos [I presume they will all get flagged] with copyright claims - will that affect when we apply for monetization?

Background, these are all 30 minute long videos. The copyright claims will be for 1 - 2 mins of the performer singing over a CD. As she builds up to it and it's a warm up, I had to leave them in. Also it's a kids channel, for what it's worth.

Will these flags, look bad, and affect monetization?

Thanks for any help, feedback, or just banter/chit chat

x

tubefluence

Will these flags, look bad, and affect monetization?
Typically, videos that are claimed because of the music in them have their revenue funnelled to the claimant. So, your channel may still be accepted into the YouTube Partner Program, but you'll have a difficult time actually earning any revenue. Honestly, the easiest option is to not include any copyrighted music, but it sounds like this might not be possible. BTW- copyright claims and copyright strikes are different. Copyright strikes are what cause channels to get banned, whereas copyright claims tend to result in the loss of revenue or removal of videos.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is tricky... there is a lot going on behind the scenes with issues like this that we are not privvy to. Generally speaking if these are the only videos that have these copyright issues and none of them become strikes (they are all currently claims, not strikes) then you are likely fine. If these claimed videos continue and are responsible for a large part of your watchtime when you go to monetize you will likely face issues being accepted into the YouTube Partner Program.

As an aside there are several large companies out there who use TubeBuddy for 20+ channels that they represent... you have just a little ways to go to reach that

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
In response to tubeinfluence

Cool

Thanks

Yes - I NEVER put up any videos [myself] which have claims against them. I even got a weasel claim by British Pathe for a film so far in the public domain [well over 100 years old] and even if it wasn't, it was clearly 'fair use' - I didn't bother fighting it. I recut the video, and included a part where I talk about what weasels British Pathe are... especially as they have the video up and completely [knowingly] misrepresent what it shows for clicks.

In regards to music - my channel Original MCW, the M is for Music. We have all original music. As will the new channel from now on.

Thanks

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
This is tricky... there is a lot going on behind the scenes with issues like this that we are not privvy to. Generally speaking if these are the only videos that have these copyright issues and none of them become strikes (they are all currently claims, not strikes) then you are likely fine. If these claimed videos continue and are responsible for a large part of your watchtime when you go to monetize you will likely face issues being accepted into the YouTube Partner Program.

As an aside there are several large companies out there who use TubeBuddy for 20+ channels that they represent... you have just a little ways to go to reach that

Thanks

Well, 4 of the 5 videos are uploaded now... and all have a claim

It really is only 90 seconds of the 30 minute videos

It's annoying, as doing our own songs will be better content - then singing over something... but as always - plans sort of happen and if you had of known before hand it would have been so easy

Yeah, going forward all videos will be clean [none go up with claims]

And I guess it will take 100 or so videos to get the required time/subs

So just the first 5% or so - will have a 'mark' against them

And in regards to the 20+ channels... yikes. I can't imagine creating content for more than two channels. But then I'm doing everything, and it all takes so much time...

Thanks for taking your time to answer x

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I really can't argue the system on that end... while I think that there should be a different system in place that allows everybody to make money off YouTube I do support that whoever made a song should get credit and paid for their work... regardless of how much or what part of it is used. Be careful treading into these copyrighted issues... if these are the only videos that get claims you will be ok. But if the trend continues it could haunt your channel well beyond monetization. It is totally worth ignoring videos which may suffer claims/strikes from here on out.