• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Low CTR - Hurting My YouTube?

Damoforce

TubeBuddy Pro
Hey guys and gals,

I've been at YouTube for around 6 months and a bit. I've been looking more into the analytics more so of late. I've noticed my click through rate on my last 10 videos is sub 10%. Even on a video that has had 1.7k views it's still only 6%.

Is it as simple as making better thumbnails or possibly better content / what people are looking for?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I actually think that's not too bad. 6%-10% Is pretty amazing in my opinion.
Taking a quick look at your channel, your photography is on point. You could afford to lose the text I think. Are you looking at CTR at the channel level or are you looking at it on an individual video level because you can do both. Some of your thumbs are super strong, some of them are a bit weaker.

I wouldn't say any of it is "hurting" your channel, BUT you do have a lot more potential in the bank. I can see you having a 100k channel pretty easily on visuals along. I haven't watched any of your videos though, but they look tempting and that's the whole point of CTR.

I'd rely less on text on your thumbs and let the photos speak for themselves, that's sorta how the skate niche does it anyway.

And of course, look at your audience retention % as well. When you have high ctr, you want to make sure you retention is also high. Combine high ctr with high retention and it's only a matter of time before your channel skyrockets.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

tubefluence

Is it as simple as making better thumbnails or possibly better content / what people are looking for?
Thumbnails are certainly the biggest factor when it comes to CTR, but the videos themselves do matter as well.

If your audience expects are certain type of video from you and you don't deliver, this will result in a lower CTR. Often, this happens when channels have a few videos all revolving around a particular topic perform well in relation to how their videos usually perform- it's why channels that have a video go viral often end up failing.

BTW- As @Beanie Draws said, a 6% CTR is not bad.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Damoforce

Damoforce

TubeBuddy Pro
Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply and feedback. For some reason I thought that lower area under 10% is a bad place to be lol.

Great food for thought, I look at how some of the other people do it ( John Hill, Jonny Giger, Braille ) and roughly base around that.

Thanks again, appreciate you checking it out.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey guys and gals,

I've been at YouTube for around 6 months and a bit. I've been looking more into the analytics more so of late. I've noticed my click through rate on my last 10 videos is sub 10%. Even on a video that has had 1.7k views it's still only 6%.

What's the number of impressions? That matters a lot!

OP
OP
Damoforce

Damoforce

TubeBuddy Pro

On a video at random choice 3.6K impressions 6.2% CTR 367 views

Some are 2K and 2.8%

My last months been the best overall for the channel, There's one video holding up the fort lol

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
On a video at random choice 3.6K impressions 6.2% CTR 367 views

Some are 2K and 2.8%

My last months been the best overall for the channel, There's one video holding up the fort lol
and is that lifetime or the last 28 days because I try to check both ranges to see how a thumbnail is potentially going. 3.6k impressions over the lifetime, if the video is around a year old in my opinion is a bit low, and I'd be wanting a high CTR. Low impressions tells me you need to improve your keywords or topics, and I have noticed a weird inconsitency in your channel, there's a mix of car videos and skateboard videos (and some food reviews which seems odd) and your most recent thumb, while being a skateboard video, the thumb kinda looks like a golf thumbnail for some reason. So while I'm really interested in skateboards, cars I'm less interested, and even less interested in food, so I'm wondering if the mix there is hurting you more than ctr.

Impressions is the thing I'm trying to learn more about this year, and started to focus more on it since Andrew's been focusing on it, so it'll be interesting to see what he says with your answer.