• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question silly question about kids channels

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Hi,

I'm sure this is a no.

But if you run a channel for kids, can you monetize it?

If not - what benefit is there to putting the episodes up on YouTube. I mean how do you get a return?

Sorry if it's a silly question, I just had an idea for a channel... but then realised YouTube will probably not allow adverts to be show on kid content... d'oh

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
That may be 'a point' but it's not the whole point

Many people make money from YouTube, many people don't want to start a real business... for instance they want to make money on Youtube Vlogs, or through sponsorship/etc

Of course others are happy to make videos - and just make a small amount from being monetized and see it more as a fun outlet

I get that you are saying from your [whole] view point. And yeah it is easiest to make money - if you see YouTube as more like an advert for your business.

Unfortunately that doesn't work in this case. I have someone respected [semi-well known], who I could work with, and it might work well in terms of views. But it you can't monetize the channel [for kids] it seems a stretch for me. As I'm not going to benefit from any 'side' business om relation to this channel/idea

Also if you can't monetize, it's likely you can't really push merch, or off site monetization for a kids channel.

Thanks for taking the time, and giving me the answer to the question

It makes sense - as I guess advertising to kids - has little upside to a company [YouTube/Google] who are making so much money from other areas of their business. And bad optics/PR would not be worth the profit ads to kids would bring in

Thanks again

J

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Decided what?

I asked about whether you can monetize children video/channel on YouTube

You answered, you can't

I said thanks for the answer.

I didn't decide anything. I asked, you answered.

Once again thanks for taking the time to answer

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Decided what?

I asked about whether you can monetize children video/channel on YouTube

You answered, you can't

I said thanks for the answer.

I didn't decide anything. I asked, you answered.

Once again thanks for taking the time to answer

• Wow
Reactions: Damon

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
It makes sense - as I guess advertising to kids - has little upside to a company [YouTube/Google] who are making so much money from other areas of their business. And bad optics/PR would not be worth the profit ads to kids would bring in
COPPA makes managing how you advertise to kids a very complicated proposition. There are also regional and national rules that make it a very complicated and costly thing to do. Rules are all over the place, etc. At Disney, as an example, we had a cadre of lawyers that did nothing but manage these issues for us, but that was literally the core of Disney's business so they had to do it. I would strongly suspect that companies like Google, who's core business isn't related to children, just take the easier way out by not even dealing with it.

TheHappyKidShow

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Unless you have a connection to a shoutout, I can't seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel on growing a business with a youtube kid channel.

Not that I gave up... but to save me the anxiety I'm going back to my roots, I'm just going to create on this platform as a means to bond with my kids and to keep creative. It would be awesome to be recognized for your work at a large scale and get compensated, and I have been recognized by the subs I've gathered. But the monetization thing seems a bit out of reach. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and maybe one day something hits or connects.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
No, it can't be monetized.
Actually, you CAN, it's just significantly less than a channel not made for kids because the ads are not targeted. That was pretty much the whole point of COPPA, it was about NOT gathering personal data of the user, so instead of having targeted ads, the ads were going to be generic ads.

If not - what benefit is there to putting the episodes up on YouTube. I mean how do you get a return?
The whole point is to start a real business that makes money outside YouTube.

I personally wouldn't have worded it like this. But just like any kids focused entertainment, the goal is to monetise in other ways, like merchandise etc, but if you're a kids themed channel, that may get tricky because there will be legislation about marketing towards kids (even though you're actually marketing towards PARENTS, because it's the PARENTS with the money.

The point in having your videos on YouTube, if you can't make money out of it, is to build and establish your brand with content, and then use business practices to make revenue outside of ads, like with sponsor spots and other promotions. Just like Ryans Toy Reviews channel etc.

The topic has been covered a lot in business niches because there's been a lot of kids channels who's production budget is effected by COPPA, but just like any business venture, if you're going to treat it as a business, you have to adapt to change, just like production companies had to do so 20 years ago before YouTube was a thing and content was still under legislation and labelling and all that fun legal stuff.

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Thanks everyone

So you can monetize - but you get a lot less [adverts and money] ???

As that may make this still an option

I think I may set the channel up - and put up five trial videos and see how they play - then I'll look into the montisation more before deciding whether to go in full throttle

Thanks again

x

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, be sure to familiarize yourself with the COPPA laws:
So, yeah, it's "possible," but you are going to have to comply with all the laws and rules set by the U. S. Federal Trade Commission regarding marketing to kids.

Sometimes I wish YouTube never started the partner program. That way people would, by design, have to think in terms of building a brand, image, merchandising and booking sponsorships on their own. These are all the same as building your own business. The word business conjures something in people's minds like corporate America, Wall Street, stocks, bonds and mutual funds. The real definition of business is simply monetization in exchange for products or services. Kids trading toys after Christmas is "business," barter specifically. A stock broker trading stocks is also business.

NOTE: As such it's worth saying that we cannot give you legal business advice. You need to get a lawyer or accountant because the FEDS ain't joking with this. The onus is on you not YouTube. Take it as seriously as starting a real kids business, then you'll have a better chance at staying out of trouble.

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
So because YouTube is global, it doesn't matter that I am making the video in the UK - it's the COPPA I have to follow [rather than some UK or EU version] - as the videos are seen worldwide

I did spend some ten years writing for Kids TV in this country - I had a 'bible' of things I could and couldn't do... but most of the compliance was obviously someone else's job [so they would have to do all the checking and reading up, before setting out the show bible]

I found it interesting at the time, that you could 'get away' with a lot more on the BBC, rather than the commercial channels [then controlled by ITC rules]

As usually you think of the BBC as being more stuffy/strict. And the commercial channels were running adverts... yet had the stricter rules about what you could or couldn't have in the shows...

Thanks again everyone x

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, you would have to comply with U. S. COPPA law as well as your local UK, EU laws. Complicated. Since you have such experience writing kids content and the desire to do it, I think it'd be worth investigating more. I think you have a shot. You'll just have to see what the legal beagles say.

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Yeah it's not really me, that makes this project worthwhile... I'm just a hack.

The presenter is gold

Full package for kids shows, engaging, fun, and very skilled professional singer

I just don't want to waste her time, but the trial shows - have already been made - as they are for a BBC thing - so no extra time needed to make them.

Then I can look into things if it seems there is an interest for more. Thanks again

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yes. Yes you can monetize a kids channel.

But not how you think. You are not going ot be able to collect adsense revenue, at least not much. Advertisers can put ads on kids channels but they can't cater these ads to a viewers specific habits (which is THE thing YouTube excels at). So your revenue is going to be pitiful. But that is ok... but ALL ADSENSE REVENUE IT PITIFUL.

If you really want to make money you need to study various forms of revenue... affiliate marketing, selling goods/services, Patreon etc. Done right these will pay far better than anything adsense could ever do.

So no, don't expect an easy check. That holds true to any channel though.

Oliver & Liz

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
This is correct :/ you used to be able to, but no more due to COPPA restrictions.
I'm sorry, but I must disagree. Channels made for kids CAN be monetized. Creators will not earn nearly as much as "Not made for kids" channels.
Personally, we are not making content for their channel for the money. I want my kids to be on youtube kids and inspire other kids to be creative and teach them that it is ok to be different.

Source: I have a "Made for Kids" channel and have made a few bucks so far.

Reactions: SoyManuelMedina

SoyManuelMedina

TubeBuddy User
You CAN get monetized, this is what it looks like for my girlfriend's YouTube channel about teaching kids to draw. As you can see, YouTube is letting us apply for monetization when we get to the threshold, even after all videos and the channel itself is marked as "made for kids"

Attachments

• Art Land earning.png
    Art Land earning.png
    129 KB · Views: 93

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
As you can see, YouTube is letting us apply for monetization when we get to the threshold, even after all videos and the channel itself is marked as "made for kids"

Just so you understand... when you reach those thresholds that's when YouTube will evaluate your channel. She could end up doing a lot of work and never get monetized. Unless she plans ahead with other ways to monetize outside of YouTube, this is a very high risk low reward for her to take imop.

Reactions: SoyManuelMedina