• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How do I develop trending/evergreen video ideas for a cooking channel?

Chef McLean

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
My channel is focused around Jamaican food with a mix of fusion/comfort foods in mind. In the summer time video ideas were easier to come by but now it is a little harder with the winter season being fully upon us. Any tips or advice on an approach that I can take to help with developing video ideas? I've been utilizing my TubeBuddy Pro License to the fullest with keyword exploration etc.

Any kind of information is appreciated and thank you in advance :)

Benny1985

I do repair/DIY content that I would consider evergreen - they never "Go viral" but each video gets a few hits/views every day.

The key to a channel that focuses on long term content are keywords and SEO. Evergreens need to be watered like any other video type, but they take longer to establish on a good trendline. When doing a recipe video, use TubeBuddy's Keyword system to find a good major, main title for your video that has low (or very low) competition and do not worry about their scale regarding how many searches or views the content gets unless its absolutely zero.

The idea is that there is going to be a pretty consistent number of people every day searching for that specific keyword either by Google Search or YouTube Search. It may be 50, 100, or 500 people a day, but you want to rank well for that major keyword (use it in title, description, and tags) along with any others.

Since your focus is Jamaican cooking, you'd want to use that phrase + major dish keywords in every title, optimally. That way you'll rank really high for the dish, then do well on the larger keyword which would be Jamaican cooking in general. I do this with repair videos, and it seems to work really well: You want to capture the majority of dish search views, then a minority of Jamaican cooking (but as you grow, you'll start going after the entire keyword).

Beyond that, you'll use other descriptive tagging/description keywords that would surround that genre of cooking - ingredients or other components. Eventually, videos with good CTR/average watch time will attract a following via Browse Features (general audiences that like cooking) and Suggested Videos (viewers watching similar cooking videos that are recommended). These will grow the videos into a titan.

However, I will warn you: Don't expect such videos to blow up overnight. When you're combatting for YT Search results, it can take weeks or months to get ranked well. Use TubeBuddy's tag ranking system to see what tags rank, and where they grow and expand to over time. Of course, cooking videos can be binged, so your channel would grow exponentially as you add to a library of cooking videos, so it may start out slow but eventually grow into something very large.

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
I do repair/DIY content that I would consider evergreen - they never "Go viral" but each video gets a few hits/views every day.

How often should one be posting to garner views every day? I find it difficult to publish new content every week. What are some ways to supplement content in between?

Benny1985

The catch is that if you're doing content right, YouTube should be recommending your content daily. If you have good videos with good clickthru rates and watch time, they will be constantly feeding impressions to your videos so even if there's a lull, you'll get viewers. Maybe not as much as if you posted consistently but... I've gone 10-14 days in between videos and seen a small dip but nothing extremely large.

But I'll give you an example of how long good videos last:

I have a competitor that has about 140 videos. His videos are fantastic and his advice may be the best for the repair niche, IMO. He does about 500,000 views every month, or so the analytics says.

The catch?

He died in 2016.

His last video was 1 day prior to something crazy happening and he passed away at 40 y/o.

Yet 4 years later, he hasn't uploaded a video - obviously. Nor has his family.

But his channel is still arguably #1 because the videos are so good, no one has really eclipsed him in 4 years.

If you build up a good channel with good keywords and content, you can take breaks as needed. But you DO have to build up a good content library to garner a good following.

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I don't have a clue but good luck with your channel, I wish you well :) :heart: