• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Getting out of your shell

Bretski

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
How long did it take you to get out of your shell. Im pretty shy but I wanna do commentary. IΓÇÖve done one video with some commentary, but I feel like I sound awkward. I did order a new mic so I can try to push myself out of my shyness. How did everyone else do when trying to stop being so shy lol

NanoniumTheDude

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Just kept making videos and as I did it became less and less awkward and more normal. It's weird because you are essentially talking to yourself while recording, but I just think of it as me talking to the mic like a pre-recorded presentation.

Reactions: Bretski
OP
OP
Bretski

Bretski

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you! IΓÇÖll try that the next time I record

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
How long did it take you to get out of your shell. Im pretty shy but I wanna do commentary. IΓÇÖve done one video with some commentary, but I feel like I sound awkward. I did order a new mic so I can try to push myself out of my shyness. How did everyone else do when trying to stop being so shy lol
You'll probably find yourself more relaxed around 10-20. It all comes through experience. I find I get more comfortable in longer recording sessions. The first 10 minutes a feel super awkward, but the more you talk to yourself out loud, the more you get used to it. Salma was saying a good way to overcome that is to make talking to yourself out loud a habit, that way you feel less strange about it.

You could always pretend you're talking to a live stream... OR do a few livestreams. You basically just want to relax into talking to a camera.

EVERYONE is awkward at first, check any big successful YouTuber's first videos and they're always shy. It's simply a matter of time and experience and repetition. Do it often enough and it will start feeling like second nature :)

OP
OP
Bretski

Bretski

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You'll probably find yourself more relaxed around 10-20. It all comes through experience. I find I get more comfortable in longer recording sessions. The first 10 minutes a feel super awkward, but the more you talk to yourself out loud, the more you get used to it. Salma was saying a good way to overcome that is to make talking to yourself out loud a habit, that way you feel less strange about it.

You could always pretend you're talking to a live stream... OR do a few livestreams. You basically just want to relax into talking to a camera.

EVERYONE is awkward at first, check any big successful YouTuber's first videos and they're always shy. It's simply a matter of time and experience and repetition. Do it often enough and it will start feeling like second nature :)
Thank you!! It’s nice knowing that other people go through it too. I’ll continue to try and push through it ☺️

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Bulltahr

Motorcycles, since the 80's......
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I practice a bit before I hit record, it kind of helps me get in the groove, or warmed up, now I'm no velvet voice or completely relax either, but warming up definitely helps me.

Mower93

Subscriber Goal
First thing for me was putting a face to the voice! Forget what people are thinking and just go for it. I had 2 gaming channels which started when i was 13 but no face till 17 and got to admit i should i have done it sooner.