• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help I have got the watch time on videos but Monetization tab shows I do not, why?

shortsciencevideos

Hey guys,

I have seen some videos explaining what does not count to legit watch time but I still can not seem to find my issue. I have all my videos posted as Public, never anything else and I have got 2 videos viral which got me enough watch time to apply for monetization (got now about 5000+ video hours in the last 90 days) yet YouTube keeps telling me I have only 800 video hours, could anyone please explain to me how does it work now? They keep changing it for their own benefit and now I am quite lost.

Thank you very much in advance.

Tomas

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
You have a lot of videos under 1 minutes, are these shorts? Apparently #Shorts watch time doesn't count towards overall watch time. I'll need to find a link specifically to back up that claim but I have heard that on a stream about it.

The vast majority of your views come from shorts, and the rest of your videos are over a year old. YouTube watch time for monetization is a rolling 12 months, so any watch time from say December 2019 won't count. Technically according to a rolling 12 months, any views aquired on January 1 2020 won't qualify. Your only views that will qualify now are from January 6 2020 to now (and that date will continuously roll as the months roll)

Actually, according to your video library, you only have 1 video from the past year (3 months ago) that is over 1 minute, and I believe it's only that one video's watch time that counts now.

I don't personally feel it's fair the way they're doing it, but I don't make the rules so that's just the way it is unfortunately.

I'll need @Andrew to confirm my theory about the watch time from shorts not counting as I've only heard it offhand.

OP
OP
shortsciencevideos

shortsciencevideos

Yeah I was actually thinking that and I was afraid of that. It is truly unfair since the watch time literally means how much time people spent on YouTube on your channel, why do they discriminate my channel only because I decided to post short videos. Well... Since you probably know more, do you have any idea how long "Shorts" exist? Because if they are some new feature, maybe they will realize it is worth monetizing. Otherwise I am going to drop the entire account.

Or... There is another, do you think it is legit if I duplicate the videos to get them over 1 minute, even though they would just simply be like 4 loops of the same video? If so, That could work to get my hours.

... and then I would request and get denied, haha, lol, hopefully not, but probably yes, since I am not the owner of the videos, I am only reposting videos.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
From here:
Can I monetize my Shorts?
Whether Shorts are found on the Shorts shelf or through the short video player, ads wonΓÇÖt be served on them, and they wonΓÇÖt generate YouTube Premium subscription revenue.
Shorts also donΓÇÖt contribute to YouTubeΓÇÖs Partner Program eligibility, but subscribers gained from watching your Shorts still count toward the eligibility threshold.
As we continue to experiment and improve the Shorts experience, there may be opportunities to monetize Shorts in the future.

@shortsciencevideos have you tried adding a top pinned comment to each short pointing people to a longer video? Remember, they don't show the comments on the shorts shelf, so you can use a pinned comment to point people to other content.

Reactions: shortsciencevideos

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
why do they discriminate my channel only because I decided to post short videos.
In this reguard, it's YouTube overall so ALL channels would be effected by this.

The interesting thing that your post brings to my mind is that in the past, short video I always thought DID count towards watch time. I think the mimumum length for a video is around 10 seconds, or something like that. Essentially YouTube rathers longer videos, but I was always under the impression that ANY watch time counted towards watch time.

Well... Since you probably know more, do you have any idea how long "Shorts" exist? Because if they are some new feature, maybe they will realize it is worth monetizing

shorts were only brought in very late last year when TikTok was rumored to be banned in America, I think that was in October. So either YouTube has had this planned for a long time and this was their opportunity to set it publich, or they rushed it out hoping to capitalise on the traffic.

I think the main reason it doesn't contribute is that they want to make sure there's not any room for bad actors to exploit the system. 99.99% of people do the right thing, but if 00.01% do the wrong thing, the media jumps all over it making things even worse for YouTube and the creators as a whole. I don't think hours will contribute for another few months, once they have a better grasp of how shorts works with everything. It's a massive new system implemented and it feels like it's still in a demo stage.

Also, seems this seems to have changed this year, that now all videos that are vertical and under a minute are treated as shorts, a lot of older videos might run into this watch time issue.
Or... There is another, do you think it is legit if I duplicate the videos to get them over 1 minute, even though they would just simply be like 4 loops of the same video? If so, That could work to get my hours.

I'd avoid doing that, I'm working on an animation right now that's simply an animated loop that goes for several cycles, but I can see YouTube mislabelling that as spam content unfortunatly.
What you could do, instead of looping one version for longer than 1 minute (that would be seen as spam) try merging a lot of them together as a bit of a best of. I've seen some tik tok channels collecting their videos and putting lots of 10 second clips together to from 5 minute videos, and to be honest, I generally prefer that method as well.

Ideally you just want to make your videos OVER 1 minute, or try making them horizontal rather than verticle.

From here:
Can I monetize my Shorts?
Whether Shorts are found on the Shorts shelf or through the short video player, ads wonΓÇÖt be served on them, and they wonΓÇÖt generate YouTube Premium subscription revenue.
Shorts also donΓÇÖt contribute to YouTubeΓÇÖs Partner Program eligibility, but subscribers gained from watching your Shorts still count toward the eligibility threshold.
As we continue to experiment and improve the Shorts experience, there may be opportunities to monetize Shorts in the future.

@shortsciencevideos have you tried adding a top pinned comment to each short pointing people to a longer video? Remember, they don't show the comments on the shorts shelf, so you can use a pinned comment to point people to other content.
Thanks for that link mate, I think maybe we should make that particular post right there, a sticky as I feel this is going to be a bigger issue for people this year.