• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear Improving Video and Lighting Quality on webcam

NeggiHorrorParty

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Hey there,

I have a webcam that records 1048p and it normally auto-adjusts itself to light up things. I recently bought two standing ring lights and a color changing light strip to add definition to my background. Despite setting up the key light and fill light (As well as I can per videos) the camera auto-adjusts and while its an improvement it seems like the camera still brightens things up a bit more and contrasts others. Is it just a limitation of the webcam or should I go in and tamper with the settings in my bandicam program for the camera (Hue,Saturation, Brightness, etc.) as I did to reduce the brightness a bit.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
It can actually be either the cam itself (some do this via a hardware component in the camera) or it could be the software and driver. You didn't mention what the camera was. There are good third-party camera control apps that can solve for this, but they only work with certain cameras.

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
@NeggiHorrorParty a webcam can be a great way to get started, but they do tent to be "compromise cameras", meaning they are sort of averaging out all the settings automatically according to their internal algorithms. Auto white balance is nice if you don't know how to set a white balance - but it sucks if it changes mid-video on you. Once you start to learn about video, you will eventually want your camera in "manual mode" so you can set settings exactly the way you want and not have them change. That includes the white balance, frame rate, and if the options exist on your camera ISO/Aperture (sometimes simplified to a setting called "exposure" in webcams). The webcam driver probably auto-adjusts the white balance and "exposure" settings by averaging the overall brightness of the video in software and aiming for some average value in the middle. But that algorithm may not be the look you want if you are trying to be a bit more contrasty ("cinematic" is the buzz word) in your video.

Last but not least, there are some limitations of physics you just can't get around. The sensor size (and price) in a webcam is somewhat small and will have a lower "dynamic range". So the range of light values it can detect from the darkest spot on the frame to the lightest spot will not be as wide of a range as a larger sensor camera with a higher end sensor. So you won't be able to get as "contrasty" without losing details (the blacks will just disappear into black and/or the whites will blow out into pure white). As you upgrade your cameras each level of upgrade will increase the dynamic range you can capture. So Webcam -> APS-C camera -> full frame camera, etc. This is why lots of streamers end up with a DSLR or mirrorless camera that hooks into their computer either with USB supported by the camera or an "elgato camlink" capture device. You end up with more power and control, plus options of changeable lenses, etc. That said you can still get some great results with a webcam with good lighting and control over the settings!! But I would work to turning off the auto-whitebalance and auto-exposure if your camera driver supports it.

And amazingly the human eye has an insane ability to capture very wide dynamic range which is why your eye can look better than what you can capture in a video. So it becomes an art/science to get your camera settings right for your environment and then if you are into it, color grading your video.

Reactions: Oliver & Liz

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
@BensTechLab Pretty much hit it. The biggest thing to look for is Auto White balance (turn off) and auto iris (not typical on a webcam) and turn off. OBS actually has some cam control built in and may help.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
NeggiHorrorParty

NeggiHorrorParty

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Hey there,

I see. So I should make sure to use manual settings that bandicam lets me edit. What would be a recommended APS-C Camera for streaming/youtube videos?

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
Hey there,

I see. So I should make sure to use manual settings that bandicam lets me edit. What would be a recommended APS-C Camera for streaming/youtube videos?
Price range matters. I am a fan of the Sony A6XXX series. Others prefer Canon and others Panasonic.

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
What would be a recommended APS-C Camera for streaming/youtube videos?

I also love my Sony Alpha cameras (A6XXX). While it is a bit of an investment the Sony a6400 is pretty nice with flip up screen, 4k, clean hdmi out, external audio in, no overheating, etc.

However, the good thing about Sony Alpha cameras is that they all take the same lens mount! So you can buy a cheaper one to start, buy a Sigma 16mm f1.4 lens for it, then if you later upgrade to a Sony a6400 the lens will still fit.

I just recently bought some used Sony a6000's on facebook marketplace for relatively cheap ($400 CAD cash = ~$300 USD). The a6000 will not have 4k and does not have 3.5mm external audio input and does not have a fully flip up "selfie" screen.

Another popular one that I do not personally use is the Canon M50. I have no experience with it... I just know it gets suggested a lot and could be worth a google/youtube search if you are a Canon person more than a Sony person.

OP
OP
NeggiHorrorParty

NeggiHorrorParty

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Hey there,

I see. So that would problely help quite a bit. I don't have any specific like inkling towards canon or sony so I'l go with whats recommended.