• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Why is putting your channel name in your tags helpful?

Melanie

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Legend
hubpages.com
Subscriber Goal
I recently saw a thread where someone was asking about putting this channel name in their video titles and a few people replied that putting your channel name in tags is helpful. Why is this?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I can answer for myself. I have my long channel name, a truncated name and an abbreviation. I want them to be associated with each other and I want to "own" the ranking for all 3. I absolutely see a difference now that I do that in search ranking in incognito mode,

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Melanie

Melanie

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Legend
hubpages.com
Subscriber Goal
I can answer for myself. I have my long channel name, a truncated name and an abbreviation. I want them to be associated with each other and I want to "own" the ranking for all 3. I absolutely see a difference now that I do that in search ranking in incognito mode,
OH! Really good idea! I'm The Curious Coder and if I ever become a household name (haha, yeah right), people might be inclined to write Curious Coder instead.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
For me, I included "beanie draws" in my tags and channel tag as it gives me a slightly better chance at being found if someone just happens to want to look for "Beanie draws" because I told them to search for it.

There's some channels with very generic names, or names that lots of other people have, and if you're trying to get other people to find your channel via word of mouth rather than a direct link, having your channel name can help it be found a little easier I think. I think it's more about helping people find you specifically early on. And for example, if I never use "beanie draws" as a tag, but others tag their videos based on me, with "Beanie draws" competition wise, if someone types "beanie draws" into youtube, they might get other people's videos instead of mine. That's my understanding of it.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have an easily remembered name (easy in the Philippines anyway). When someone searches for 'Tito Tim' (uncle tim) I want to show up. I put my channel name as the first tag in all my videos (using channel upload defaults). I never knew for sure if it helps, but it made sense to me.