• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review My first serious video to start my youtube progress

SteveE

Subscriber Goal
User name: SteveE
Title of thread: My first serious video to start my youtube progress
Self review: I am pivoting my YouTube channel to be how to play guitar and sing tutorials and tips. This video is the first of a 4 video series. I am very new to all this so while I definitely have some specific questions I am also open to any additional comments. My main questions are: Does the video come across credible, does it seem like I know what I am talking about? Also my editing is still beginner-ish, I haven't figured out how to do J or L cuts so I am concerned that it makes the video seem either too choppy or too static? Does the content plus editing seem to keep a good pace .... not to slow or not too fast?
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://youtu.be/UDyrIYIZ0ao

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/35252/post-112694

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
Really great quality, I love your calm and confident demeanour and approach to it - I would definitely watch your videos for learning guitar. The only thing I might say is that to capture a slightly wider audience (dare I say it, the more impatient viewers) would be to have a slightly more upbeat intro to what the video is in a format such as this: This is what you can achieve / this is the problem / this is what we're going to do to improve it / this is what you'll achieve at the end.

Personally, I really like it - the audio quality is great, the visuals are great, and I would sit and spend time with the video. Good job!

Reactions: SteveE
OP
OP
SteveE

SteveE

Subscriber Goal
Really great quality, I love your calm and confident demeanour and approach to it - I would definitely watch your videos for learning guitar. The only thing I might say is that to capture a slightly wider audience (dare I say it, the more impatient viewers) would be to have a slightly more upbeat intro to what the video is in a format such as this: This is what you can achieve / this is the problem / this is what we're going to do to improve it / this is what you'll achieve at the end.

Personally, I really like it - the audio quality is great, the visuals are great, and I would sit and spend time with the video. Good job!

Thank you blackbeltsecrets for a really insightful review. It is much appreciated. Yes, getting upbeat on camera is going to take some time and work for me. I need the nudge to work on that more but, even while I am working on that I will definitely try to make the content up from a bit more faster paced.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Overall it sounds great. And given the type of video, that is critical and hard to do!

In my own experiments, I find opening with a bumper directly performs worse than opening with a short, concise intro and then a bumper. And that would be my biggest point of feedback. It is at the 1:32 mark when you first actually play anything and SHOW me what you are doing. That is way into the video before you actually do anything. Remember, YouTube is a visual medium and the rule in visual media is "show don't tell".

You should look at your audience retention data. See if people are staying with you through the intro. I suspect they aren't.

OP
OP
SteveE

SteveE

Subscriber Goal
In my own experiments, I find opening with a bumper directly performs worse than opening with a short, concise intro and then a bumper.

That is an awesome idea! I definitely made sure my bumper was short - 6 seconds, but your suggestion is brilliant and will be an easy change. Regarding getting to the playing earlier.... well, it is funny how I knew that was important and, in my self contained vacuum, I thought I did pretty well. Then you point it out and it becomes so obvious. I have a couple videos already shot and editing so I can see if I can edit them differently, but will definitely take your advice completely the next time I shoot.

Thanks for the review it is so helpful!

Melanie

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Legend
hubpages.com
Subscriber Goal
In my own experiments, I find opening with a bumper directly performs worse than opening with a short, concise intro and then a bumper.
Very good tip. I've been changing my uploads so that I can hook my viewers and then dance my jig before diving in deeper. It seems to have really helped and I highly recommend it.

Melanie

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Legend
hubpages.com
Subscriber Goal
Do you have A/B testing in your TubeBuddy subscription? I'd like to see if you can increase CTR with another thumbnail. If you'd like, you can send me the image you're using in your thumbnail sans text and I'll play around with it and send back a thumbnail that might drive up CTR and you can run an A/B test on it.

OP
OP
SteveE

SteveE

Subscriber Goal
Do you have A/B testing in your TubeBuddy subscription? I'd like to see if you can increase CTR with another thumbnail. If you'd like, you can send me the image you're using in your thumbnail sans text and I'll play around with it and send back a thumbnail that might drive up CTR and you can run an A/B test on it.
I'm only doing the free subscription for TubeBuddy so I don't think I can do A/B. I only have the original photo which was just a screen shot from my video and the chord diagram. I know I kinda lamed out on my thumbnail... just having to learn so much to start these videos and stressing about just uploading something I hastily made a thumbnail and uploaded. I am not any kind of graphic artist so if you would really want to help.... I would be really appreciative!! Can I just attach those files here? If you prefer I can send them another way?

Thanks so much for your reply!
thumbnail.jpg
Cscale cropped.jpeg

OP
OP
SteveE

SteveE

Subscriber Goal
Well I never heard back from Melanie, but I did see her point on my thumbnail was right on. If I am not imposing on the group would anyone let me know if the new thumbnail is an improvement from the old one?
Sing Guitar Scales.jpg

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Well I never heard back from Melanie, but I did see her point on my thumbnail was right on. If I am not imposing on the group would anyone let me know if the new thumbnail is an improvement from the old one?View attachment 8697
It does seem more legible. Keep an eye on your Click Through Rate and see if it is better.