• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question complete change in viewer demographics

WV Pet Project

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Has anyone seen a COMPLETE change in the demographics of viewers? In the last few weeks, my viewership has changed from 100% female to 80 percent male, as that shift occurred, my wath time went up 300%. I have no idea why...I never imagined that my videos would appeal more to males than females (animal rescue, trapping feral cats for TNR)... It is very perplexing to me- I always had the thought of "Know your audience", but now I feel like I totally do not.

Reactions: Alaba

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Mine was not a complete change, but noticeable.
As a retired dude, doing expat vids, my viewers were predominately over 50 American males (as I would expect). But a couple years ago there was a huge (and quick) change to mid 20s Filipinos, and about 50% female. Not a problem, but it seemed odd at the time. My video content did not change.

I like all viewers but I learned real quick that US views pay a lot more than Philippine views. My views and retention increased but my ad revenue took a dive ha ha

OP
OP
WV Pet Project

WV Pet Project

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Mine was not a complete change, but noticeable.
As a retired dude, doing expat vids, my viewers were predominately over 50 American males (as I would expect). But a couple years ago there was a huge (and quick) change to mid 20s Filipinos, and about 50% female. Not a problem, but it seemed odd at the time. My video content did not change.

I like all viewers but I learned real quick that US views pay a lot more than Philippine views. My views and retention increased but my ad revenue took a dive ha ha
I don't mind, I just, like you said, find it odd- the age demographic changed too. I guess it is SO perplexing to me because the group that is watching is the LAST sex/age group I would have ever imagined watching my videos. (Males, 25-34). I understood when it was females aged 45-54. (October 100%) December is 88.7% male 25-34. It has also changed from 100% US to 52.9%, the rest is mostly "other". Totally agree with the "I like all viewers"....I just have questions. lol

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I think most of us go through something similar. Most of my original demographics were pretty much sourced from LinkedIn so it was over 40yo males. The my SEO got better and I started to rank more tags and get more search-driven traffic and the demographics "spread". You should see if your traffic sources shifted at the same time your demographics did. I bet they did.

Ragulsundaram

Very Well-Known Member
www.facttests.com
Subscriber Goal
You can't always say this video will be most liked by this gender or this community. Youtube is a miracle happening place anything can happen here.
Unless you are doing something shady to get views you don't have anything to fear. Just enjoy the cloud while they last and make best use of them

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've noticed no major différance in demographics. My monthly Subscribers has gone up though by about 100-200 a month which might just be a seasonal thing.